Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trying to decide on 3rd city in Spain for upcoming honeymoon

Trying to decide on 3rd city in Spain for upcoming honeymoon

Feb 13th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Trying to decide on 3rd city in Spain for upcoming honeymoon

My fiance and I are currently planning our honeymoon to Spain the last week of August, and the first week of September. Besides Barcelona and Madrid, we are trying to decide on a 3rd city, but cannot come to a decision. As of right now our schedule is as followed:

Fly into Barcelona - Spend 4 nights there.
Train to Madrid - Spend 2 nights there.
City TBD - Spend 3 nights there.
Barcelona - Spend 1 more night before flying back to the states in the morning.

At first we were thinking that Valencia would be the winner for the 3rd city. We thought that would be a safe bet over Seville because if we run out of things to do, we can always go to the beach. I have read a few threads here that say to skip Valencia, and that the beach is kind of "sketchy" there, and also located away from the city center.

In regards to what we like to do (I noticed that is always the follow up question on these threads), we like walk around and explore. Seeing sights is great, however, I do not see us a "museum people" (we live in Chicago and never take advantage of our own world class museums) exploring architecture and neighborhoods would be a little more of interest, all probably while drinking alcoholic beverages. We love to go to a new city and experience the cultural/food/people, and would be content relaxing at a roof top pool or a beach with a cold drink. As this is our Honeymoon, luckily budget is not an issue.

With all that being said, would anyone recommend us to stick with Valencia, look further into Seville, or maybe look further into other areas like San Sebastian, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Feb 13th, 2018, 04:21 PM
kja

Are you sure that you can see and experience what you want with this plan in this time frame? It depends on your interests and preferences, but 4 nights is not much for Barcelona (particularly as you will will be jet lagged on your first day) and 2 nights in Madrid really means just 1 day there.

If you are committed to adding another city, you might consider Toledo. Or you could take some day trips from Barcelona – Montserrat, Girona, Figueres, Tarragona, etc.

Have you already purchased your airline tickets? If not, and if you do include either Madrid or Toledo in your itinerary, you might fly into Barcelona and out of Madrid or vice versa. The time and money you save by not backtracking oflten makes such “open jaw” flights worthwhile – don’t search for one-way tickets; use the “multi-city” option available on most search engines.

FWIW, I would NOT look at Sevilla at the time of year you will be in Spain – too hot for my tastes! YMMV.

Hope that helps!
Feb 13th, 2018, 07:10 PM

Madrid is also hot ..hot in August ( 90-100.F)
If you are looking for beach time, Valencia has beautiful breaches. It is an interesting city.
1:40 min from Madrid by fast train ; then ,you can take a train back to Barcelona ( 3:00 h).
The beaches are not right in the city centre ( like in Barcelona), one has to take a metro for several stops .
Elegant Hotel Las Arenas is right on the beach... A number of restaurants and bars are right next to the hotel.
​​​​​​​
Malaga can give you a " taste " of Andalusia and beach time. A very nice spot.
SS is lovely , you would have to fly from Madrid to SS and from SS to Barcelona.
( it is tight with your time frame )
I agree with pp re Seville.
Feb 14th, 2018, 07:27 AM

We much preferred Malaga over Valencia. I would agree with looking to see if you can do an open jaw ticket if possible. Since it is a honeymoon I might be tempted to start in Madrid, take the train to Barcelona and then fly to Ibiza or one of the islands and then fly home out of Barcelona. I would leave the island portion til Sept. when the summer folks have gone back to work.
Feb 14th, 2018, 10:23 PM

We went to Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid in June 2016. We enjoyed all destinations, they each had their own special aspects that we liked. I think you would enjoy 2 or 3 nights in Valencia, the old town is compact and pretty, plenty of lovely architecture. You can walk thorugh the old Turin riverbed park to the very modern Arts and Sciences building. The beaches would be a short public transport ride away. We stayed near the Arts and Sciences buildings, so walked to the beach...from memory I think it took less than an hour, and was an easy flat walk.

We travelled by train from Barcelona to Valencia and then to Madrid, we then flew out of Madrid. If you decide not to go to Valencia I suggest you add some extra days to Madrid, and as suggested include a visit to Toledo. We did it as a day trip from Madrid, but’s lots of people here have spent a night or two. Toledo is definitely a gorgeous place to visit and was a highlight of our trip.

Search this Thread