Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trying to decide if we should buy train tickets to Angers in advance (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trying-to-decide-if-we-should-buy-train-tickets-to-angers-in-advance-684271/)

Susan3063 Mar 2nd, 2007 07:08 AM

Trying to decide if we should buy train tickets to Angers in advance

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at CDG on Sunday, May 20 at 6:20 a.m. Our plan is to take the 10:28 a.m. TVG from CDG to Angers, where we will spend our first three nights. We are trying to decide if we need to get our train tickets in advance or if we are safe assuming that we can purchase the tickets when we arrive at CDG. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

ira Mar 2nd, 2007 07:19 AM

Hi S,

You can get PREMS fares for 32E pp for that route if you buy online now.

Don't buy the insurance.

Print your ticket online at www.voyages-sncf.com.

((I))

JEFF_ Mar 2nd, 2007 07:20 AM

I'd buy them on-line at SNCF and then pick them up at CDG. You might get a discount PREMS fare if you buy now.

rs899 Mar 2nd, 2007 07:24 AM

Yes, buy now as Ira says. And print them yourself - its a piece of gateau- don't bother trying to pick them up. You can keep them online and reprint them (I think- someone correct me) if you lose them.

Rick

ira Mar 2nd, 2007 07:31 AM

Hi Rick,

>You can keep them online and reprint them (I think- someone correct me) if you lose them.<

Or you can print multiple copies. :)

((I))

Susan3063 Mar 2nd, 2007 08:33 AM

The reason I was considering purchasing them when we arrive is that recently we have been experiencing flight delays and cancellations. If our flight is delayed to the point that we are unable to catch the 10:28 TGV and we purchased tickets in advance, we would be out the fare. How busy do you think the CDG train ticket office is on a Sunday morning?

Christina Mar 2nd, 2007 09:21 AM

If you are just worried about the ticket office being busy, I wouldn't let that stop me if you are afraid of losing the money. I've never seen it that busy that you'd be waiting hours, but my experience is limited.

I might worry more about getting a reservation. Are you aware that is a national holiday (Ascension)? Now, I don't know that would affect TGV traffic to Angers that much, but it might just for people going there for the day on a holiday trip. I've had TGVs runs completely booked with no extra seats on some runs in that area on Sundays, and they weren't even a national holiday. That TGV stops in other places, it isn't nonstop from CDG to Angers, so people could reserve the seats only from Le Mans to Angers or something. I'm just idly speculating, however, and maybe that would be a nonevent as it isn't a holiday on that Monday.

ira Mar 2nd, 2007 11:43 AM

Hi S,

You could buy the regular fare ticket for 62E, and get most of your money back if you miss the train, but you would still have to buy tickets for the 13:38.

((I))

JEFF_ Mar 2nd, 2007 07:26 PM

It seems like 4 hours is plenty of time even if your plane's late. You won't have to go through security like with a plane connection. And if you get the PREMS fare you don't have to worry about a line at the ticket office. I've done the it in a lot less time including having to pick up my prepaid ticket. For the difference in fare, I'd go with the PREMS and not worry about it.

rs899 Mar 3rd, 2007 02:10 AM

It depends on your tolerance of risk, I guess.

We booked an 11:45AM departure from the Gare de Lyon to Nimes after a 6:30AM arrival later this month. And that's with a ride on the RER tossed in. I think the odds are greatly in your favor (and mine , too) but things can happen. That's what credit cards are for. Do they have anything a bit later for you with PREMS?

Susan3063 Mar 3rd, 2007 09:30 AM

Thanks for all of the help and interest. I have decided to get the PREMS. My hesitancy was stemming from our last trip in November to Portugal when we actually arrived a day late due to mechanical problems with our aircraft. Also, last May our flight to Instanbul was delayed approximately four hours. However, I am going to be optimistic and think our luck is changing, and if not, we're just out 64 Euros. Christine mentioned that May 20th is a national holiday. I was under the impression that the May national holidays were early May and May 27th or 28th. Anyone know for sure?