Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trying to choose between Paradores (Jaen, Ubeda, Ronda, Arcos)

Nov 1st, 2000, 05:09 AM
mary lewis

We are getting our touring schedule for Southern Spain firmed up and wanted some advice on picking between some paradores. We want to stay one night in the Jaen province and are trying to choose between the parador at Jaen and the one at Ubeda. Same for the Pueblos Blancos area - trying to choose between the parador in Ronda and the one in Arcos. Please let us know your thoughts. We will have a car so access is not a problem. Thanks.

Nov 1st, 2000, 06:33 AM
Mari

Mary, you may need more than 2 nights to visit the Jaen province and the Pueblos Blancos. We went last year and spend one night at Arcos, one night in Ronda, and one night in the Parador in Jaen and we could have stayed longer exploring other smaller towns in the area. We didn't stay at the paradores in either Arcos, Ubeda, or Ronda, but if I had to choose, the parador in Ronda looked very impressive, as the rooms overlook the gorge. Arcos has some very charming smaller hotels (El Convento and Los Olivos) besides the Parador.

The parador in Jaen was most impressive. The motif is medieval as it was originally a 13th Century castle and it has some amazing views of Jaen (you can see their huge Basilica from atop) and a great restaurant. We didn't explore Jaen, as it is supposed to be more of an industrial town, but we spent the day touring Ubeda and Baeza (we loved Baeza!) and arrived in the late afternoon at the Parador in Jaen. The rooms were huge, with a double canopied bed, a sitting area, and an outside patio (with a table and chairs) overlooking a mountain. I would definitely recommend the Parador in Jaen, but I would have to say that any historic Parador in Spain will be a great place to stay.

Nov 1st, 2000, 08:21 AM
Patrick

This summer we stopped at the Parador in Arcos planning on lunch, but it was too early. It is a lovely place, but there sure isn't much to do there at night --even talking a stroll I imagine would be dark and rather foreboding. We spent the night at the parador in Ronda and it was lovely. Also had a great dinner and a very nice breakfast there. However, we had cleverly asked for a room facing the gorge and got one. That was sort of a mistake. Those rooms sit well back from the gorge and really don't have any view down into the gorge itself. The best rooms face the valley and perch right out on the edge of the cliff. So if you like a nice view, request "valley view" room, not "gorge view" room.
Can't speak about the Jaen province.

Nov 1st, 2000, 10:21 AM
Mari

Mary, I forgot to tell you that we stayed in Ronda at the Hotel Don Miguel...while our room was basic,and functional, it was very clean, and it had doors (and a min-balcony that could fit 1 chair) opening into the gorge. We could see the bottom of it from our room! The hotel does not possess the historic charms of the Paradores in Spain, but it was less than half the cost of the Parador, and it certainly is a comfortable alternative if you are interested in a "gorge-view" room.

Nov 1st, 2000, 12:17 PM
Marija

The parador in Ronda was great. Having spent the night in Arcos, I agree with Patrick that Arcos is dead, though it is scenic. However, I do not think driving up to the parador in Arcos was worth the effort. Having stayed in both Arcos and Ronda, I would definitely skip Arcos. Stay in Ronda or spend the time in Sevilla.

Nov 1st, 2000, 05:26 PM
Pedro

My advice is Ronda and Jaen to overnight but Úbeda and Arcos worth a visit.

Nov 2nd, 2000, 01:29 PM
DF

If you're counting votes, mine goes to the Parador in Ronda vs Arcos. And as the previous writer suggested, be sure to ask for a valley view. Most of the rooms facing the valley have terraces too. The Parador's breakfast is outstanding with a wide selection of regional specialities. Also, the food is labeled so you're able to identify special dishes. If you do stay at the Parador in Ronda just be careful when driving into the garage. The approach requires a sharp and uxepected turn to the left. The old town of Ronda is a good stroll with many interesting shops.

Nov 4th, 2000, 04:16 PM
pat disharoon

we stayed at the parador at arcos de frontera and absolutely loved it. there is also another place to stay in arcos called El Convento which i understand is about half the price. we walked inside and it was lovely. we only went to ronda for the day so we did not have an opportunity to stay at the paradore there. it truly was lovely also. ronda does have more to do, however, we felt like arcos was the favorite of all the places we visited in spain. driving up to the paradore was truly an adventure as the streets are very narrow. in fact we had to turn our side view mirros inside in order to get through the streets. we also had to grease the side of the car to get through. our experience is you can't go wrong with the paradores no matter where you are.

Apr 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Absolutely agree the paradors in Jaén and Ronda are simply in magnificent positions.

Although all the paradors are more or less of the same standard, the character and views vary greatly. The paradors that have been converted from historic buildings or on historical sites are usually fab. The more modern ones such as Cazorla, Cordoba and Mojacar are not so amazing just a great standard. Depends what you want from a stay.

Rachel
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Doubt they are still looking since this is an eleven year old thread? How did you dig it up anyway?
Apr 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM

I have stayed in all four, they are all very nice. Actually very, very nice. This is what I can tell you, the Parador of Jaen is located
on top of a hill, view from rooms can be superb. Our room faced a hilly countryside full of olive trees.
It is a new building in the style of next door Palace fortress of St Catherine( which btw that can be visited, small fee
one day a week is closed). From the other side of the top of hill , I mean opposite to our room,
the city of Jaen is at ones feet and it is beautiful.
The only thing you should be aware is that the Parador is at the top of the hill and each time you wish to come out or come in you should drive and spend some time driving before you get to the sea level.
Parador of Ubeda is beautiful, it was the renaissance palace of the Bishop. It is located in a Plaza, and I believe it has no elevator. This is the real thing. Consequently rooms differ a great deal, those facing the plaza, are the best , some other rooms do not have real windows, and are facing the inside patios.Others are facing the back streets, which is fine but they are not as nice as the ones facing the plaza. I believed we paid a premium for the plaza rooms , but the second time we stayed there none was available, that is how I found out about the bad rooms, they tried to put us in of those but I resisted and we ended up in one facing the back streets, which was big and nice. The window was smallish nothing like the premium rooms.
In Parador Arcos most rooms are ok, although some have nice views on the gorge, ours was one of them. I do not know how the other rooms are.
Again we paid a small premium and we had a wonderful view similar to the one in Jaen.
I am telling you all this so you can take into consideration the accessibility to the Parador.
Arcos had no parking space, only the public plaza in front which worked ok, neither the one in Ubeda being and old palace. In this case the front desk directed us to a nearby street where parking was free and ok.
The last time we stayed in Ubeda if I am not wrong they were building a new Parador on the other side of the Plaza.
I would chose Ubeba, there is a lot to do, including some very nice walking tours organized by a private company, located across from the Parador, and you can even get a jumbo that includes another tour in Baeza, another charming place.
Besides how often have you slept in the former Palace of a Bishop....
Hope this helps.
Apr 30th, 2011, 12:52 PM

I made I misstake the rooms facing the Gorge are on Parador of Ronda, of course.
Sorry I tried to edit it and made misstakes I do not if anyone cares but I meant that
the similar view on the hills full of olive trees are offered in Jaen and Arcos.
Ronda os course faces the famous gorge.
Of all four places, I fell in love with UBeda.
Apr 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Graziella5b: >>Hope this helps.<<

It may help somebody -- but not the OP -- Their trip was 10 years ago
Apr 30th, 2011, 01:04 PM

WOW,LOL