Truffles in Italy (not the choc. kind)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Italy in October, I understand that truffle season is in September so I'm assuming I will be able to find truffles. I do have a few questions:

White truffles are the ones that mainly come from Italy, right (and black truffles mainly come from France?). They're mostly found in Tuscany, yes?

I've been told that they are less expensive than in the US, is that true? Are they an allowable item by customs? (if not, guess I'll be buying truffle oil..)

thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:02 AM

And there have been reports of black truffles coming from China and ending up in French and Italian restaurants and stores.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:42 AM

I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed in unless they were in an air-tight container - canned, etc. then should be no problem as long as there's not a truffle tariff or blockade for some stupid reason.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Black, white italian truffles, oilthe deliciousness truffles, ancient flavours from the forest.
www.bellaumbria.net/umbria/trufflesg
though this pertains to Umbrian truffles it explains the questions you ask vis-a-vis white and black truffles. And the prices, which are nothing to truffle at, of course.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Prize truffles are found in Le Marche, Umbria and in Piemonte. There are also truffles in Tuscany, I believe closer to the Maremma, but I am not sure.

I have read that some truffle salespeople will vacuum pack truffles for you to keep them fresh. I have not heard that ANYTHING in Italy is cheaper than anywhere else.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM

We'll be there then also and I was wondering if someone could recommend the best place to taste a dish with truffles.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM

For ``tartufo bianco,'' I'd recommend Piedmonte.

I think Torino and Alba each have festivals.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I gathered a lot of information on truffles in Tuscany. You can find it if you go to florencevillas.com and then click on Past Newsletters. Scroll down the list of topics until you come to one (or if I remember, two) newsletters dealing with truffles in Tuscany.

I am a freelance writer and do not represent that company, nor am I advertising for them. I just thought the articles I wrote would be helpful to you. There is also information on truffle festivals.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM

islandmom,

Where you will be? The single best truffle dish I ever had in Italy was in Milano. If you visit the large cities and eat in fine restaurants, they sometimes offer fresh truffle dishes. Otherwise, you have to go to small towns in Le Marche, Umbria, Piemonte or Tuscany.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:38 AM

someday, I want to try just a simple truffle omelette for pure simplicity.

So? No one answered if you could bring back the USo'A. I personally wouldn't try it but that said, I couldn't find the US Customs' website where all things like that are listed.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Every week end of October there's a White truffle festival in Sant'Angelo in Vado near Urbino, Northern Le Marche.
Indeed Southern Piemonte, Northern Le Marche and Umbria are THE places in Italy for white truffles (and also plenty of GOOD winter black truffles but you'll be abit early for those...).
When buying truffle oil or "truffle-anything" be aware as when you read "aromi naturali" ("natural aromas&quot the Italian law sais that they must be existing aromas NOT that the aroma comes from the REAL thing!!!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:12 AM

And truffles or not, Sant'Angelo in Vado is a very beautiful town. My recollection is that even more famous for its truffles is Acqualagna, which is also in Le Marche, about an hour's drive from Sant'Angelo in Vado. In general, one wants to be in the vicinity of Urbino.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM

The U.S. Customs website states that truffles are allowed. But since they are best if consumed w/i 3 days of being picked, it may not be worth the trouble. Although I did not bring back any truffles, I did bring home a few truffle-containing products. If you decide to buy products containing truffles, be sure to check the ingredients which will list the percentage of truffles in that product.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Missziggy,

tartufo or truffles various types of tubers which grow on the roots of trees come in many types and syzes, there is even a native American one from Oregon, "Tuber Gibbosum", but the most common are the black truffles found in France and Italy as well as other places and the white truffles, "tuber pico magnatum", much prized by gourmets, the best ones apparently found in Piedmont in autumn, when there are many truffle fairs and festivals around the towns of Asti, Alba and Acqui Terme.

For a long debate on the relative values of truffles from different areas, check out this thread on Fodors
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34792839

I don't know about black truffles, but white truffles don't last very long, the fresher you eat them the better. And I have read on US Customs website that you can bring them into USA, probably better to buy just before you leave and if you can get them vacuum packed so much the better. But there is no comparison to sitting in one of the local osterie in Piedmont in November when truffles are at their best, surrounded by the pungent fragrance of shaved truffles on simple plates of taglietelle, undescribable!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:20 AM

Here you can find some informations about Truffles in Tuscany:

http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=263

http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=150
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM

There are indeed white truffles in Tuscany and there is a truffle fair in San Miniato in November and there is a smaller fair on the third weekend of October in nearby Balconevisi: http://www.san-miniato.com/white_tru...an_miniato.htm
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I'm reminded of the picture of people eating scrambled eggs with shaved truffles from the new harvest. They were making a tent of their napkins on their heads over the plate to soak up the intense aroma of the truffles. That's dedication!!

Anyway, the truffle trade is kind of funny, almost like someone is dealing drugs. You'll run into street vendors with black truffles selling various sizes of small balls at widely varying numbers. I just couldn't bring myself to buying an unknown commodity from someone I didn't know and paying a lot of money for it. So, I bought truffle paste which I think was a better alternative. Unless you're going for pure presentation purposes when you cook, ie; having flecks of fresh truffles visable, I would go for the paste. I usually use the paste to make truffled risotto...it works great!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

That sounds fantastic Buongiorno, I will look for that!

Actually I just had a great meal that utilized truffles, at Les Halles in New York. Freshly ground hamburger meat, loosely packed, cooked and dipped in a black truffle and red wine reduction, with a slice of foie gras melting on top. Literally one of the best things I have ever eaten (and I don't even like hamburgers that much)

Looking forward to Italy even more now! Sounds like bringing back the actual truffles would be a pain, so I will look for the paste and oil!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -