Troyes or Colmar around Christmas?

Nov 30th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Troyes or Colmar around Christmas?

We will have a night and part of a day to stop on our way from Lyon to Charles de Gaulle Airport. I was planning to go to Colmar, but it is not exactly on the way. Troyes also looks lovely and is not nearly so big of a detour. I know that Colmar is known for its Christmas market and decorations, but would Troyes be good as well? Based on pictures I'm seeing of the towns, Troyes looks like it might be even nicer than Colmar. Any advice would be appreciated!
Nov 30th, 2015, 08:52 AM

Troyes is a fabulous town.

But I hope this doesn't mean you are planning to drive from either Troyes or Colmar to CDG to catch a flight, because that would be a terrible idea.
Nov 30th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

No, spending the night before the flight out near Charles de Gaulle. Sorry that wasn't clear.
Nov 30th, 2015, 11:44 AM

We visited Troyes for the second time this past September. Fantastic city with several "odd" but interesting museums. It's less touristy than Colmar - in fact, it is really not touristy at all. We stayed at Le Relais St Jean and dined next door at Valentino (for the second time).

Stu Dudley
Nov 30th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Troyes is a very nice city but I don't suppose they are as oriented towards Xmas as Colmar certainly is (long time I haven't been on Xmas time in Alsace).

Now I'd look at the train schedules - I like to be close to (or at lease within easy reach from) the airport I fly from on the day of departure. But it is me.

Mfg.
Dec 1st, 2015, 05:15 AM

Troyes is very nice. Colmar is too far out of the way when you are going to CDG. Dijon would be nice, too.
Dec 1st, 2015, 06:26 AM

Pariswat, the OP isn't going to drive to CDG on the day of departure. He's staying near the airport the night before (which is a wise decision).
Jan 8th, 2016, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Troyes was fabulous. Loved the churches. Also loved the modern art museum which has a wonderful collection of fauvist painters. Quite a wonderful surprise! The old town is quintessential half-timbered buildings. So picturesque. As far as Christmas is concerned, there was a lovely tree in one of the central squares and an AMAZING "advent calendar" multimedia presentation projected onto the Hotel de Ville. http://penseurdeprod.fr/EN/3d-projec...as-lights.html This was simply jaw-dropping!

Search this Thread