Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trouble with Travel Agent... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trouble-with-travel-agent-349906/)

sophieD Aug 20th, 2003 09:08 AM

Trouble with Travel Agent...

Am I being unreasonable? I have booked the Hotel Barocco for 5 nights at a considerable amount of money in October and my travel agent is telling me that she can only REQUEST a double bed (instead of twins) - I am going on my honeymoon, I have had no problems with any of the other hotels (I booked myself) getting confirmation on a double bed and the Barocco is the splurge - what do you think?? Thanks !!

Scarlett Aug 20th, 2003 09:15 AM

I think I would call the hotel direct and find out their policy. Travel agents usually do try to do the best by their clients, else they would not keep them for future business.

Christina Aug 20th, 2003 09:18 AM

no, I don't think you're being unreasonable as I have never once been told that by a hotel I booked in Europe, from 2* to 4* (that they would not guarantee me a particular type of room I booked). If they did not have a double available, only twin, they told me that upfront.

So, I guess I am wondering why you are having your agent book this hotel if you booked the others yourself? Because if the reason is that the agent said they can get a special discount through some means they have, then that may be why they won't guarantee you a room with a certain type of bed. For example, discounts from Priceline, etc won't guarantee bed type, either. Also, I note that this hotel pays a large commission to travel agents so that may be why they won't guarantee a room when they are giving an effective 8 pct discount (to your agent), or may be why your agent recommended this hotel if that's why you decided on it.

Of course, it could be the hotel always does that and is unreasonable itself, and others who stay there may know. Odds are probably it would be fine as they do have double beds, but I wouldn't book such a place myself.

sophieD Aug 20th, 2003 11:02 AM

any other thoughts? Thanks

wemr Aug 20th, 2003 11:10 AM

How about a little old fashion common sense. Push the beds together! Hello!

Degas Aug 20th, 2003 11:13 AM

Why don't you want a twin bed on your honeymoon? Don't you plan on getting some sleep?

Seriously, best of luck, and don't let your agent jack you around!

ira Aug 20th, 2003 11:18 AM

Hi Sophie,

Have a glass of wine, calm down and, as noted above, call the hotel.

francophile03 Aug 20th, 2003 11:39 AM

Agree. Hotel Barocco is known for excellent service so you should not have a problem.

AprilA Aug 20th, 2003 11:40 AM

I would check with the hotel directly. Alot of times in Europe, although it is listed as a double, it is actually 2 twins pushed together with a double bedspread over the 2 beds.

Anyway have a wonderful honeymoon,
April

Marilyn Aug 20th, 2003 11:49 AM

No one has said this specifically, so I'll state the obvious: When you call the hotel, be sure to tell them it's your honeymoon. I would guess they will try their best to accommodate you -- all the world loves a lover.

leslie Aug 20th, 2003 01:18 PM

Actually, you should request a matrimonial bed. That might get you a better chance of getting a double bed, which is actually considered full-sized. Honestly, you'd be better off with two twin-sized beds pushed together, at least you'd get what is actually the size of a king-sized bed.

Koshka Aug 20th, 2003 01:27 PM

My husband and I splurged on a four-star hotel in Paris for our honeymoon. But when we arrived, we found two twin beds.

We simply requested the beds be made up as one bed, which was definitely not a problem for the hotel staff, especially after we explained it was our honeymoon.

Have fun! and best wishes on your marriage.

Intrepid Aug 20th, 2003 01:30 PM

Have you called the hotel yet?

Marilyn Aug 20th, 2003 01:38 PM

Am I alone in my sentiment that one bed, double, queen, or king, is better than 2 of any size pushed together? There IS a difference.

dgorall Aug 20th, 2003 03:07 PM

Are you saying full size bed would be better than two king size beds pushed together? I have to disagree with you on that one, you could plant crops with that much room!

Marilyn Aug 20th, 2003 03:21 PM

dgorall, I think you know what I mean. Now why would you push 2 king size beds together?

sophieD Aug 20th, 2003 04:36 PM

Well, I did not think this message would cause such a fuss but thank you all for your comments. I will have a wonderful trip and I appreciate all the help. Thanks, Sophie

BrimhamRocks Aug 20th, 2003 04:50 PM

Hope your honeymoon is a happy and memorable one, Sophie!

sandi Aug 20th, 2003 05:26 PM

And if the hotel is really sophisticated they will have a single king size fitted sheet that covers the two twins - no worry of the beds separating.

At one of our accommodations is Africa, no only did the fitted sheet (custom made) cover the two beds, but each bed was what is known as a 3/4 (44-46"w) - pretty damn big playpen.

Koshka Aug 20th, 2003 05:53 PM

Our hotel had a mattress pad and sheets that nicely covered the split in the middle, and provided more room (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) than a double or queen bed.

Don't knock it til you've tried it!