Troops in the streets of Paris?

Sep 12th, 2001, 06:44 PM
lisa

Troops in the streets of Paris?

Have troops really been sent into the streets of Paris? CNN reported that Americans are NOT to speak English in the streets of Paris - what's going on here? I know there are alot of rumors, the "troops" was a new one - anyone got any information on this? or is it just another ugly rumor?

Sep 12th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Jeannette

CNN has been very irresponsible lately. Early this morning, other TV stations said that CNN was reporting that three airlines had left Canada and were missing! Talk about panic. Turned out to be false but I didn't hear CNN apologize. I heard the rumour about not speaking English in France and I checked the U.S. State Department Travel warnings and it doesn't exist so I don't believe it. It really would be stupid if it were true. And, why would we send troops to Paris? France is a NATO country and has its own troops. Don't panic.

Sep 12th, 2001, 07:15 PM
shell

I did read that on an official gov't site, about not speaking english in paris. Can't find it now...it wasn't in a very obvious place. Will look more and post it once I find it.

Sep 12th, 2001, 07:38 PM
worried

Is this a bad joke? It seems kind of extreme. I'm heading there in a week.

Sep 12th, 2001, 07:56 PM
worried

I just found it at http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe...ate/index.html
Heres the quote...
"In France, armed troops were deployed at airports and metro stations. Border controls have increased. The U.S. Embassy in Paris was closed and will be shut again on Wednesday. The embassy is warning Americans in France to be careful about speaking English on the streets"

Sep 12th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Jayelle

I recall troops being visible on the streets of Paris back around 1995 when I was there on a trip, so its not without precedent. It was at the time of a number of terrorist bomb attacks around France. Its a bit unsettling to see this, but you can still go about your business as a tourist. I also heard that the State Dept. has issued a worldwide alert for Americans traveling abroad.

Sep 13th, 2001, 12:15 AM
amelia

No troops roaming around Paris. CNN is panicking everyone.

Sep 13th, 2001, 01:10 AM
Florence

They are certainly confusing that with the reactivation of "Plan Vigipirate", where armed French soldiers (and not entire toops) were posted in sensible areas, like monuments, train and metro station, etc., in order to ensure security to the public, avoid panic and prevent attacks, during the early 90.

I can't imagine what the problem could be with Americans speaking English in the streets of Paris. The whole population of France and Europe is shocked beyond words by what happened in NY and Washington, Americans are welcome and will be met with words of support.

Sep 13th, 2001, 01:36 AM
Dan

I think people interpreting the warnings and precautions are the ones panicking. As I read the info and heard it on CNN, French police is on high alert and more visible on sensitive areas (it would be foolish if they were not taking this precaution). Americans are been advised to be aware of their surroundings and cautious. Not a bad idea, I really don't see why people think this is an overreaction.

Sep 13th, 2001, 03:00 AM
Mark Harris

With regards to some of the "hysteria" printed on this forum regarding troops in Paris etc. may I take this opportunity to put at ease & enlighten our American & Canadian customers.

1. The french govt. have deployed CRS riot police to all possible terrorist targets.This is common practice in virtually all european countries .France have not been threatened in anyway but the attitude is that of caution is the best form of prevention.

2.The US embassy has advised americans to be aware whilst travelling in france & around europe.This is purely common sense & again no threats have been made to any US businesses or establishments here in France.

3.The overwhelming feeling in France is one of sadness & remorse.The french realise the importance of the american tourist trade , personally the last 2 days have been an absolute nightmare with business down 90%.
The french are determined to prove & rightly so that france is a safe place for tourists to visit.

4.The large "ex pat" community of english, irish , american , canadian etc
are certainly NOT talking in hushed whispers for fear of reprisal.This is
CNN sensationalism at its worst.

Ultimately it is your own personal decision if you decide to come to France but rest assured that you will receive a very warm & safe welcome upon arrival.

best regards

Mark Harris
Office manager
Airport Shuttle

Sep 13th, 2001, 03:40 AM
PB

What Mark says is absolutely true - and we ex-pats are certainly not talking in whispers !
I live in Provence, where the outpouring of sympathy has been extraordinary. My phone doesn't stopped ringing, or the doorbell. I had flowers delivered this morning with a sympathy card, sent by the village florist herself. Several French friends told me this morning, "We are all Americans at this time"....

I find the CNN coverage about the worst - the French news on TF1 and the British Sky coverage has been the best, without all the speculation that CNN seems so fond of.

www.tf1.fr

Patricia

Sep 13th, 2001, 04:38 AM
A New Yorker

I just saw the news of a candlelight vigil in the streets of Rome. Hundreds and hundreds of Italians out in the streets in praying vigilance in sympathy for the thousands of American victims. No words to explain how much it means and how deeply it comforts.

Sep 13th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Maira

Mark, Thank you so much for your efforts in trying to help people out in these confusing times. Here in NY is the morning of another sad day, but caring words and support like yours is what's getting many of us through. God Bless America and Her Allies.

Sep 13th, 2001, 08:59 AM
elvira

We are fortunate here at work; we have a direct feed from Reuters - no speculation, no news for "entertainment" value. For anyone who wants to access it via the web:

http://www.reuters.com/news.jsp?type=default

Sep 13th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Karen

Thanks for the information. We were supposed to leave for France today, but are grounded until Saturday. We have 2 small children and were concerned with the situation in Paris. It sounds from all of you that it is OK.

Sep 13th, 2001, 01:00 PM
StCirq

At noon Wednesday, Interior Minister Daniel Vaillant announced that the Vigipirate plan was to be reinstigated. This has involved placing 600 soldiers and 1300 additional police in Paris with another 4500 or so having been mobilised. Various groups have been sent to pay special attention to the Eurotunnel, the large nuclear center in Gravelines, the airport at Lesquin and the two train stations in Lille. All schools, commercial centers, and public places are being watched. Another 170 forest fire fighters were engaged.

Speak no English in Paris? That seems ridiculous.

Sep 13th, 2001, 07:35 PM
mary

in paris in 1996. i saw armed soldiers in the metro and on the streets. i believe it was for the visit of some head of state at that time. it was a little disconcerting at the time to this first time visitor to europe, but it is done at times of heightened security. frankly, i felt a little better seeing them. thanks to all who remember us in their thoughts.

Sep 13th, 2001, 08:59 PM
American

God Bless France!!!

Sep 14th, 2001, 12:22 AM
BTilke

We live just "up the road" from Paris in Brussels and no Americans are being shy about who they are. It's interesting though because in our neighborhood, normally I see dozens of Arabs walking by, speaking Arabic loudly and the women in Arabic dress. But for the last three days, I've seen almost none of them. And haven't heard a single person speaking Arabic in the streets.
Although I don't normally do this kind of thing, I did find a store off the Grand'Place that sold American flag lapel bins and I purchased one to wear on my raincoat lapel. There are a few more police in the streets, but not that many.
BTilke

Sep 14th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Simone

CNN has been losing ratings to screaming FOX news (owned by Rupert Murdock). That may be why CNN news seems so hysterical lately.