Trivago- Trivago - Enough Trivago!

Old Jan 6th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trivago- Trivago - Enough Trivago!

trivago - the site that claims to search other booking sites to scour the very best deal -is driving me crazier than usual- I mean no matter what channel I watch on TV trivago ads with that slick dude seem to come on every few minutes -even when I watch Canadian CBC- enough - when is too much advertising counter productive or is it?

anyway trivago has an interesting history -started by 4 uni guys in Germany but now owned 61% by Expedia - wonder if they favor Expedia and their companies in the search function?

Anyone have anything to say about trivago - trivago - trivago -trivago - trivago-?
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 10:28 AM

They don't have a proper forum ;-)

And like you I don't like too much ad.
I suppose they use their own search engines to check where competition has better rates than Expedia...
Or they do like TA : put in top 'their' products.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Or they do like TA : put in top 'their' products.>

Yes look at the TV ads where they have hotels listed at different prices for the same room on various sites - Expedia.com is usually right at the top and cheaper than others!
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 01:00 PM

they keep phone us and asking us to list with them. We ask why when we are on other listing sites which they link to.
Personally do not understand the concept of this portal.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 02:21 PM

The concept is just another place to do convenient searches and get all results in one place, like kayak.com etc. I haven't ever used it, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, I like websites like that. It would be a lot easier to see all of them at one glance than having to look at each separately.

However, in my searching, I rarely find any difference in prices on the major websites anyway. I tend to use booking.com out of habit, I guess.

I would hope they don't falsify prices, not sure how they could make Expedia always cheaper. Okay, I just used it to search for a hotel in a place I'm actually looking at so I'm familiar with rates. Expedia isn't any cheaper than other sites on the listings I saw. One hotel is makes Expedia look like a bargain by calling it a deal but the price is the same as two other places it lists for that hotel. For other hotels, Expedia isn't even the cheapest rate. In fact, on a page of about 10 results, booking.com and hotels.com are the cheapest rates on about 8.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 02:41 PM

I find TripAdvisor for example is not always apples to apples. Sometimes different room types. And I like that booking.com has taxes and fees added, whereas Expedia might look like a bargain but when you go to the booking screen that's when you find out the actual price...

I have never used trivago but I notice it's been popping up when I'm on other travel sites...so annoying.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Last 30 minutes -same station -three trivago ads!

So much money put into ads.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 04:09 PM

They'll stop running the ads when the ads stop working.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 04:15 PM

I agree! I also find it irritating because not once have I searched them and found a hotel price cheaper than other sites for the same hotel. Just my experience of course, but makes me think they're more hot air than anything useful. For a trip I took back in October with my mom and sister, my mom suggested I search on trivago because she 'saw a lot of ads for them recently' and I told her to beware the man behind the curtain. But I did just to say I had tried and found the same hotel we were about to book for about $100 more than what I ended up paying.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

They'll stop running the ads when the ads stop working.>

exactly.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Just watched Coronation Street on CBC Canada and there were 6 - SIX - short trivago adds during the 1/2 hour show - enough already!

boycot trivago!
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trvago is up for sale, so the marketing is to boost the share price.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Aaaaah -maybe that is why there is a barrage of ads lately - more than even before!