Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tripgirl is Going to Africa ( I know this is NOT the Africa board, but thought I'd let fellow europhiles know!)

Search

Tripgirl is Going to Africa ( I know this is NOT the Africa board, but thought I'd let fellow europhiles know!)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

Just got all booked for a trip to Africa!! for next May! YAY! ( you kinda have to plan this far in advance for safari as the camps size is limited and your itinerary can't be just winged, so you'll see we are pretty planned already)

I am well aware this is NOT the Africa board, but since I post mostly here, I'd thought I share my happy news with everyone!

We are using a wonderful agency called Timeless Africa and planning an Africa trip is SOOOOOOO much different that planning an European one or even an Asian one, and so hence the last few weeks has been quite the education!

The itinerary:

May 31-June 5: Cape Town. Cape Grace Hotel.
We'll be visitng Robben Island( prison for Nelson Mandela), doing a township tour and visiting table Mountain. We'll spend a day on the Peninsula, visiting the famous penguins and whales. Fabulous dining opportunities in Cape Town too.

June 5-7: Winelands. Le Quartier Francois. We'll have a fabulous 2 night stay in the Wine region of South Africa and will have a whole day with a famous wine expert! Our hotel is supposed to be the best and most luxurious in this region,

June 7: Johannesburg overnight to meet our connection the next day to Botswana. Melrose Arch Hotel, a hip hotel ina nice area with shops and restaurants. We will be with one of the leading experts in Aparteid to do a private tour of the Aparteid Museum. Supposed to be very moving

June 8-11: Botswana Safari: Little Vumbura in Okavango delta. A luxury tented camp set in the middle of the Delta. It is a land and water camp; we will see Sable Anteloupe, only saw inthis region, along with so many other animals. Great game viewing.

June 11: Back to Joburg for another connection to South africa

June 12-15: South Africa. Sabi Sand Private Reserve. Singita Boulders: This has been the place I have wanted to stay for as long as I could remember. Voted as the top desitnation in the world, this place is supposed to be over the top luxury like you've never seen and game viewing is superior, the Big 5 of course. It is an R and C property, so the food and wine are top notch. We will have a dinner with the wine expert. can't wait and to see the Big 5, wow!

June 15: Home

I'll be spending some time over at the Africa board, so if you want to direct any questions to me re: how we planned this trip ( it's quite the process, really unlike Europe!!!!!), just post over there and I'll answer anything you need.

This is so exciting BUT we STILL have Denmark, Sweden, Helsinki, Moscow, St Petersburg to see, leaving this July 31st and then another trip to Mexico for New Years, but I am on pins and needles in anticipation of this trip to Africa!!!!!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention, this is not a group tour, it's just me and DH on a private program, much more flexibility.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM
Jed

Just yesterday we 2 couples finalized a private trip to Africa, so I know how exciting it is. Going to Jo'burg, Cape Town, Botswana, and Namibia. Best wishes for a sensational trip.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:26 AM

Great , tripgirl !! I hope you enjoy all your trips, one by one
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:02 AM

Yay tripgirl! Have fun for me because I don't think I'll ever get to Africa, even though I'd love to.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:47 AM

Well that trip will turn you into an Africaphile in one go! Lucky you, it sounds a great trip. I lost my heart to Africa and hope to go again.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks all,

We are soooo excited.

did anyone who has goen find that the process of organizing their trip was a but more dauntng than planning any other trip?

It's all worked out, but oh.. the variables!

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM

Always glad to hear when someone is coming to South Africa, sounds like a great trip. I hope your weather will be as wonderful next year this time as it has been this year. Today was 23deg C and beautifully sunny and this is winter!

You are going to love the Cape Grace Hotel. We were there for breakfast last wednesday, always a treat.

Happy planning
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM

We lived in Johannesburg for several years and traveled through out South Africa. We loved it. It's a fascinating and beautiful place from Cape Town through the wine district (excellent wines by the way) and the game parks. msure you'll enjoy.

Trip report?
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

I'll be sure to post a Trip Report over onthe african board when we return. But I'll post a link here in the Europe forum as well.

although far away, before we turn around next year will be here; this year is flying by... yikes...
first I have to enjoy all the other trips before Africa!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM

We went to Tanzania not SA, (that's still high on the wish list!). Yes it was very daunting. Lots of money to spend on something like that, and you are so reliant on your outfitter, guide etc. Right up until I arrived at Kililanjaro I was worried. Then our guide met us, with a huge smile on is face, and I knew we would be fine. The time flew by. The first couple of days I was thinking I don't get how people fall in love with Africa, but by day three I was smitten!! I cried when we left, and I have never done that before or since at the end of a holiday!
Enjoy the anticipation and have a wonderful trip!!! I am soooo jealous