Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   TripAdvisor® Top UK destination Travellers’ Choice Destinations on the Rise (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tripadvisor-top-uk-destination-travellers-choice-destinations-on-the-rise-956593/)

alihutch Nov 13th, 2012 01:53 PM

TripAdvisor® Top UK destination Travellers’ Choice Destinations on the Rise

Can you guess where it is yet?

http://bit.ly/SjzdrY

albionbythesea Nov 13th, 2012 03:53 PM

Glasgow may be on the rise, but London should still be the first place visitors to the UK go to.

flanneruk Nov 13th, 2012 09:39 PM

A non-achievement, based on "the greatest increase in positive feedback and interest from travellers year-on-year."

The easiest way to win it? Make sure all the reviews last year said Glasgow stank.

One positive review this year, out of 100, would mean Glasgow wins, with infinite growth in positive ratings. The fact that 99% of reviewers still thought it stinks would be quite irrelevant to what this award is about.

Not knocking Glasgow. Just hokey awards designed only to maximise web mentions of the flakey organisation dreaming them up

ribeirasacra Nov 13th, 2012 09:49 PM

flanneruk wrote: <i>Not knocking Glasgow. Just hokey awards designed only to maximise web mentions of the flakey organisation dreaming them up</>
I would love a TA knocking thread. Their review system is totally wacky and never to be believed.

alihutch Nov 14th, 2012 12:06 AM

albionbythesea I think that people should go where they fancy first.
flanneruk I know what you mean but I was wishing to be positive about a fine city that most people here on here thinks only warrants a day trip.

Silly me....

unclegus Nov 14th, 2012 12:24 AM

"I would love a TA knocking thread. Their review system is totally wacky and never to be believed."
sorry but it is not as good as that.
I actually removed all my reviews (over120) from the website.

unclegus Nov 14th, 2012 12:32 AM

I actually spent a fortnight one weekend in Glasgow.

caroline_edinburgh Nov 14th, 2012 06:25 AM

When I lived in Edinburgh I always really enjoyed visiting Glasgow - there's a lot to see and do, and such an exciting vibe about it (especially in its contemporary art scene). When we left Scotland, we did wonder if we'd have stayed if we'd been based in Glasgow. I take flanner's point about spurious stats, but I think Glasgow is great!

bilboburgler Nov 14th, 2012 06:31 AM

You may not have come across the European Song contest that happens every year. The voting is a weird game of political and racial arm twisting. Basically if you are a Slav you have a chance of winning. Anyway now look at this list.

The only reason the British cities are in there are because tripadvisor works in English. The reasons for the other cities are as per the European song contest. Fascinating and well done Valencia.

1 Kiev, Ukraine
2 Moscow, Russia
3 Turin, Italy
4 St Petersburg, Russia
5 Naples, Italy
6 Glasgow, UK
7 Manchester, UK
8 Belfast, UK
9 Valencia, Spain
10 Liverpool, UK

tjhome1 Nov 14th, 2012 10:16 AM

Excellent that Glasgow, Manchester and Liverpool are all ranked so highly. Have loved Glasgow each time I have been, Manchester is home and Liverpool has improved hugely in the last few years. All three make excellent places to visit and provide a really good contrast to the usual Bath, Oxford and Edinburgh so favoured by most people using this site.

unclegus Nov 14th, 2012 11:19 AM

I have been visiting Liverpool on a regular basis over the last 25 years (my sister lives there)it is amazing the changes that city has gone through over that period.

Kate Nov 15th, 2012 06:49 AM

>>1 Kiev, Ukraine
2 Moscow, Russia
3 Turin, Italy
4 St Petersburg, Russia
5 Naples, Italy
6 Glasgow, UK
7 Manchester, UK
8 Belfast, UK
9 Valencia, Spain
10 Liverpool, UK<<

For the record, I loathed Moscow.