Notices

Trip to Spain/Italy Options

Feb 13th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Trip to Spain/Italy Options

We are taking a trip to Spain and Italy in June and after a lot of help from the people on this forum we have narrowed it down to considering these options. What would you choose and why?

#1. Barcelona (3.5 days) - Fly to Venice (2.5 days) - Train to Florence/Tuscany (3.5 days) - Train to Rome (5.5 days - 1 day for Naples/Pompeii day trip)

#2 Barcelona (3.5 days) - Fly to Milan then train to Cinque Terre or Santa Margherita Ligure & Pisa (2.5 days) - Train to Florence/Tuscany (3.5 days) - Train Rome (5.5 days - 1 day for Naples/Pompeii day trip)

#3 Barcelona - Fly to Florence/Tuscany (See Pisa 1 day) - Train to Rome (Do Naples/Pompeii 1 day). Only 3 stops on this option.

Option 3 would basically allow us an extra day in Barcelona and an extra day or so in Tuscany. We can use both for some extra day trips and maybe a day at the beach in Barcelona (Barceloneta Beach).

Please help me pick one!
Feb 13th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks for this opportunity to fantasize and dream!

All three options will be rich and enjoyable. If it were me, I would do #1. Why? Because going from Barcelona to Venice will be incredible - - what a transition, what a juxtaposition.

Going from Barcelona through Milan to Cinque Terre is kind of grueling. It will be hard, and the place will be jammed. Cinque Terre in June it is hard to stand anywhere without getting nudged into the sea.

Going to Florence will be going from tourist urban tumult, to tourist urban saturation.

At least Venice has a completely different feel than Barcelona - - and you can avoid tourists if you keep on the outskirts by and large. Walk everywhere where everybody ain't, and just hit San Marco & Rialto early mornings and evenings, when the hordes have abated. (Rialto at 9pm is chirpsville - - they have practically rolled up the sidewalks).
Feb 14th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

I'm also leaning heavily towards Option #1 as well. I would like the opportunity to see Venice.

The only question I have about choosing option 1 is if I have enough time for Barcelona. If I choose option 3 I can have 2 more days for Barcelona but maybe I don't need it and going to Venice for 2.5 days would be nice.

Search this Thread