Trip to Sorrento

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Sorrento

Am making my first trip to Italy soon, and will be spending most of my time in Sorrento. Looking for a hotel recommendation that is affordable, comfortable and child friendly. My husband will be in a conference most of the time, so my son and I will be exploring the area mostly by ourselves. Any suggestions? I am overwhelmed by the options out there!!! Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Yet again - what is affordable?

$200? $400?

Will your husband have a car to get to the conference? Or will he need public transport - and you a hotel convenient to transport? Will you need to be close to public transport?

Is your son 2 - or 14?

Doesn;t the conference provide special rates at any of the hotels?

If you would stop being overwhelmed and try to be a little bit practical in providing info people could be more help.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:25 AM

We are staying at La Tonnarella in about 6 weeks for 4 nights. It is up on the hill above the town, with great views of the Bay of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius. We got a double room with sea view terrace for 160€ per night.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Interesting how some people think it is necessary to be sarcastic and pushy in such a neutral forum. I was looking for general advice (which is possible to give); so to whom it may concern, please refrain from telling strangers to "be a little more practical."

My son is 3, affordable is NOYB and we will have a car. Also, since we will be there for a week, do any places in Sorrento have kitchennetes?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I should probably not get involved in this, but here goes. How can anyone suggest an "affordable" hotel unless we know what you consider affordable. It isn't a one size fits all term. Perhaps nytraveler could have been less harsh, but I don't consider the comments sarcastic, just trying to establish what you need so we can sensibly reply.

We always stay at the Bellevue Syrene www.bellevue.it. It's well located, has terrific views of the Bay of Naples, a great included breakfast, served in a terrific dining room. Is it child friendly? I don't know. Italians as a rule love children, but as far as a "play room" or something, no.

It's a short walk to Piazza Tasso and the Circumvesuviana station. I'm sure the hotel would be pleased to arrange for tours if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Hi Puan,

I think that nytraveller just meant that it would help if we knew a ballpark amount you'd want to spend on hotel rooms. From my research when we were choosing Sorrento, there were dozens and dozens of hotels in Sorrento ranging from 60€ to over 600€ per night.

Since "affordable" really does vary from person to person, it really would help to have an idea of what you'd like to spend. For instance, my husband and I like to go to Europe a couple times a year so staying in a 500€ per night hotel is not so afforadable for how we like to spend our discretionary income. We would rather go over there a couple times and stay in medium-nice places, than just go once and go "all out". Hence, we like to stay in hotels ranging from 120€ to a max of about 200€, so that would be what I call "affordable" for us.

I'd me more than happy to pass along a couple of the other places we looked at in the same price range I listed above if that is what you're looking for

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:53 AM
ira

Hello P,

>..affordable is NOYB ...<

I suggest either Le Sireneuse in Positano or Palazzo Sasso in Ravello, both meet all of your criteria and will provide private drivers to get you to Sorrento.

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:56 AM

ira, LOL!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

I am generally my own private driver (and definitely my son's), but once in a while I will let my husband drive Miss Daisy around.....as long as he doesn't make anyone car sick. I like your sense of humour, ira!! Le Sireneuse would be nice especially since we'll be there for my birthday. TexasAggie, your price range sounds perfect, so I will take (with much gratitude) whatever recommendations you may have.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:12 AM

PuanJ-

If "affordable" is none of our business - nor do you care to share any other useful information - perhaps it would be better not to bother other people - and take up their time - and just stay by yourself being overwhelmed.

And if you don;t like my tone - sorry - but there have been way too many people too confused /ignorant to provide the info necessary to give them useful answers.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM

nytraveler is a Fodors snob- IGNORE!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Better get back to Tara VL and have a mint julep before you get the vapors. This thread is six months old, why resurrect it now to chide another poster, who asked perfectly legitimate questions in order to give a sensible answer?????