Search

Trip to Scotland with older parents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Scotland with older parents

Hello everyone -
I've booked my parents (mom, 76 and very active; dad, 83, walks (not very far) with a cane) on a cruise down the Caledonian Canal and through the Inner Hebrides in late September-early October. I am going to fly over with them a week early to visit Edinburgh, Glasgow, (including Loch Lomond and Stirling), before spending a few days at a friend's place in Elie and then heading to Inverness to meet the tour. At this point I'm thinking:

Day 1 - arrive Edinburgh, see city
Day 2 - Edinburgh
Day 3 - train to Glasgow, see city
Day 4 - pick up rental car, drive to Loch Lomond
Day 5 - drive to Stirling en route to Elie
Day 6 - Elie
Day 7 - drive to Inverness
Day 8 - Culloden, Inverness
Day 9 - I fly home, they meet tour

My questions: Am I shortchanging anything? Should I spend more time in X and less in Y? Any need for a car in Edinburgh or Glasgow proper?
Most importantly, as mentioned, dad is not highly mobile. Is anyone aware of tour guides in Edinburgh and/or Glasgow who are elderly/handicapped friendly? I'm thinking of someone who could facilitate dropping us off at the door to Edinburgh Castle and those kinds of things.

Thanks very much
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 10:31 AM

Edinburgh is very hilly, you'd need transport all of the time. Consider hiring mobility scooters
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:06 PM

dtbs is right - Edinburgh will be hard for the old boy. He's going to need some assistance in navigating.

And that's an ambitious run with the elders. You're driving from place to place like you're going with an SO, not with two people who've been seniors for a while.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Ah...I should have mentioned that dad is very stubborn and will not use one of the scooters. I have suggested it and will suggest it again (gently) but suspect the answer will be no.

We actually travel together quite often and mom and I are just back from 11 days of hiking, glacier trekking, snowmobiling, and ATVing in Iceland. I have to balance her needs (go-go-go) with his (sit in a pub). That's why I'm looking for someone who can make the sightseeing a little easier.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Just stop and browse the shops and pubs along the way in Edinburgh. My Dad would have been stubborn also. I leave my husband in a pub often and go see what I want.

http://www.cruiselochlomond.co.uk/

Everyone in our day tour did the cruise but us. We hiked all over so he might enjoy this.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:43 PM

What is your itinerary for Edinburgh? You need to do some careful planning if dad won't use a scooter.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 02:23 PM
ESW

Avoid a car in both Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Have you thought of the hop on hop off bus for your Dad? He may be more willing to use this as it is a 'tourist attraction' with a commentary. It will get him to many of the main sights and he could spend all day riding round....
http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/edinburgh-bus-tours

Also when you visit Culloden on Day 8, don't miss the Clava cairns which are just a short distance from the battlefield. They are best seen in the late afternoon when the sun is lower.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...s/clavacairns/
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 04:47 PM

Where are you flying from? If your parents are arriving after a long, overnight flight, they may be tired and jetlagged the first day or so. (Or at least your father might be.) And you're scheduling intense travel, making multiple short stops.

I'd skip Glasgow and maybe even Loch Lomond. Maybe add St. Andrews and/or an East Neuk village if this is omitting too much. Is your date in Elie fixed? If not, you could reorder as follows:

Edinburgh 3 nights
Elie etc 2 or 3 nights
Stirling 1 night
Inverness 3 or 2 nights

In Edinburgh get a hotel in the New Town; it's flatter. And make use of taxis to help your dad get around.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 04:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Edinburgh will be more than difficult. And even a scooter will not be much help.

I am here in the city again again this week and. My friend only has some moderate sciatica . . . And has had trouble everywhere.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas re Loch Lomond and the hop on hop off. Those might work.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 05:40 PM

If dad prefers to sit in a pub, there's probably few better places than Edinburgh to do just that. Your itinerary is fine. I'm assuming your parents might be taking the National Geographic tour as their itinerary is at least very similar. Where is your flight departing from?

Too many people give Glasgow short shrift. Don't. It has plenty to offer and, although, I prefer Edinburgh, Glasgow is certainly worth a visit. Also note that Stirling Castle sits atop volcanic rock much like Edinburgh Castle. Can't remember if parking lot requires much of a climb or not.

Do consider day trips as these will likely work well for both mom and dad allowing each to go at their own pace. Often when a tour bus ( such as Rabbies or Timberbush ) stop at a site one can as easily ensconce themselves at a pub or explore on their own.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

It's not the Nat Geo tour, but they use the same boat. Just charge more (and provide more tours/commentary). Nothing against Nat Geo - I did their Belize trip and loved it!
Anyway the day trips are a thought and thanks for the heads up re Stirling.

Any suggestions for hotels? I have lots of thoughts but would love some recommendations.

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 06:46 PM

When selecting hotels, you may want to consider how easy it is for your father to use a tub/shower combo. Many tubs are higher than what he may be used to. If that is a problem, you may be able to book a room with a stall shower. They may be smaller than a tub but easier to use. or he may be comfortable with an accessible tub which has a lower side to step over and grab bars. the main thing is you want him to feel safe and secure.
push
You won't need a car in the cities and you can take a taxi when needed.

Does your father have any particular places he would really like to see? if so check accessibility. for example Edinburgh Castle is at the top of a really steep hill. once inside there are several museums, Getting between them requires going up and down steep streets covered in cobblestones. but there are mobility vehicles he may borrow you have to call or email about that. there are also free manual wheelchairs but its hard to push on that surface even if he would consent to use one just to shorten the distance between places

Cobblestone streets – Several parts of the historical city center have cobblestone streets including parts of the Royal Mile.

The Old Town is quite hilly, the New Town much flatter. it will be easier to stay in the new town