Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to Scandinavia--where to go with 10 days?

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:05 AM
mandi

I will be attending a conference in Gotland, Sweden and will be there for 4 days. I would like to see another country while in Scandinavia(Norway, Denmark, Belgium?) and have about 6 other days to do so. Where would you recommend to go? I cannot decide what to do after my 4 days in Gotland.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Angela

Norway I think would be the obvious choice as a contrast to Sweden. Denmark is very "quaint" but Norway is "majestic", the scenery is beautiful. Visit Oslo and take the train to Bergen, then see the Fjords. OR you could visit Stockholm (and perhaps Upsalla ?sp) and take the boat to Finland, a beautiful journey through the archipelgo. Wonderful, as is Helsinki.
I love Belguim but travelling there would take up a fair amount of time and the scenery is not so impressive. It would be easier for you to take in another Scandinavian country. What a brilliant opportunity, it is a great part of the world.
Angela

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Becca

I will have to put a vote in for Finland. It's an easy boat ride from Stockholm to Helsinki. Helsinki and Finland in general are really great. Super clean, safe and very friendly?

When are you going? If you are there in summer, you are even more lucky - land of the Midnight Sun and more festivals than you could ever imagine!

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Al

Mandi,
If I could put in my 2 cents worth, I would suggest you consider Denmark. Had a great time each time I was there.
If you would like more information on Denmark, you can order a brochure (book)by going to the Danish Tourist Board web site. www.visitdenmark.com
They were very promt when I requested mine, about a week.
Denmark is great. Castles, museums, great food, and wonderful people. Excellent public transportation.
Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

Al from Iowa

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 08:14 AM
mandi

Thanks for the advice. It is very hard to choose-they all sound fantastic. We will be there in June so I suspect we should have good weather for the most part.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 11:09 AM
angela

I was in Scandanavia in June/July a few years back and had lovely weather, especially in Stockholm where it was akin to southern Europe on some days. No rain just sun. If I remember rightly the weather in Norway was Ok but not as good as Sweden. Finland was great as it stayed light. I arrived in Helsinki at midnight and it was "daylight". (sorry can't remember exact temperatures but am sure you could find averages on a search engine) Weather considerations would not stop you from going to any of the Scandanavian countries though in July.
Angela

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:07 PM
EL

Hi Mandi:
I vote for Helsinki too. The people are great. The city is old looking like a modern eastern europe. The boat ride is overnight from Stockholm and inexpensive.
(small cruise like ship) The water front
is old with a great market and the rock church is very interesting. The food is great and the Stockman department store is the best in Scandanavia. Have a great
time the weather should be great. If you have a extra day go to Tallinn Estonia for a day trip on a boat which I missed but is supposed to be something. I would spend at least two to three days in Helsinki and one day in Tallinn. I will be returning to these places soon I hope.
have fun. El