Search

Trip to Rome/Florence early Feb.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Rome/Florence early Feb.

Hi All,
I'm traveling to Rome/Florence Feb 3-10 with a friend. I'm from the USA, he's from London and speaks a bit of Italian, I speak none. We are looking up hotels for both cities, and would like to keep prices around 90 Euros or so. With all of the hotel sites, it's a bit overwhelming as I don't know where the best places are to stay and where we'd get the most bang for our buck.

I'd like to stay in places that are central to what's going on but not noisy (I get cranky if I don't sleep); we expect that the rooms will be small of course, but want something clean and comfortable enough to move around and open suitcases without a problem.

Any suggestions? We will be traveling by train and around on foot in each city; and are taking a one-day tour of Florence with the Accidental Tourist group. I'm all ears.. this is my first trip to Europe! I know we're going in the "off-season" and a week is not all that long, but we did what we could. I appreciate any input!

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:12 PM
jgarvey

Dear AntInNewYor, well you have certainly come to the right place for great personal help and info about your destination. I myself will be staying in Rome for one month (mid-Feb to mid-March), and I have been the lucky recipient of generous amounts of help from posters on this site. They are an amazing group of travelers, willing to share and help others. When they see your post, you will start receiving huge amounts of help. Just wait and see. My guess is that their first suggestions will be B&Bs rather than hotels in Rome. I know from my own searches that there are many many out there. You should also acquaint your self with the Slow Travel web site and start buying a couple of guide books to increase your knowlege. Also, check out the BBC website (Italian Steps) for a few simple Italian lessons. It will be fun to learn some useful phrases and to start getting you excited about your trip. Good luck. Jg

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Check out these hotel sites to start:

www.florenceby.com
www.romeby.com

Once you see a hotel that suites you, check out reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Also, use the "search this forum" bar above. You should find a wealth of information for what you seek.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Hi
I can highly recommend a B&B in Florence, overlooking the Piazza di Duomo, the room was amazing -large clean and although right in the middle of everything - really quiet in the room E95 per night(fully inclusiveof taxes etc.), there was a fridge and kettle with en suite bathroom, breakfast was in a small bar right next door webpage: http://www.bed-breakfast-florence.com/eng/tuscany.htm the owner speaks quite good English
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM

For a week in Rome you might consider renting an apartment. The best source of info for that is www.slowtravel.com.

The area around Campo dei Fiori/Piazza Navona/Pantheon is the most convenient, but Rome isn't a quiet city. It's the Vespas. Maybe bring some earplugs.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so far

JG: I am taken aback at how helpful the people are on this site. I could spend all night just reading the posts! I will also check that BBC web site for Italian lessons. I was going to start researching that this week. We booked this trip close to our departure date, so it doesn't give me the time I wanted to take for classes.

Good to know about the others. Mimar, we will be doing 3 days in Rome, 3 days in Florence and back to Rome for one last night so renting an apartmnent will have to wait til next time!