Paris Layover 10-5 from Poland to USA

Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Layover 10-5 from Poland to USA

Can I get into Paris to see the Eiffel Tower and eat lunch?
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Unfortunately - no.

Flights to the USA have an extra screening step and you really do need to be back at the airport about 3 hours ahead of time.

So you won't have time to clear immigration and travel into and back from Paris.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj. Should I then get the 3 hour layover instead? Is this not true for layover in Munich from USA-Poland?
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
J62

I think you've got plenty of time but it may depend on airline & luggage details which you've not shared.

If you're taking the same airline Poland to Paris to US then you'll already have your boarding pass and be checked in for your Paris to US flight. In that case you definitely have plenty of time, as you really only need to be at the gate by the time they close boarding, usually about 15min before departure. I'm not recommending cutting it that close, but you would have that cushion.

If you are taking different airlines for each leg, then a lot hinges on whether you can through check your bags starting in Poland. If the airlines are in the same alliance then it's a definite yes, and you may also be able to get boarding pass as well. Even if they aren't the same alliance, many airlines have inter-line baggage agreements so you'd never see your checked bags, best case.

If you need to retrieve and recheck your bags at Paris, then if you're flying AF you should be able to check-in at any time. If it's AA, UA, or some other US airline they may not have any check-in lanes open. You'd need to check if they had flights to somewhere earlier in the day. I think a lot of US bound flights depart late morning or around noon, so I'm guessing you'd be ok to check in around 10am.

The advice about getting to the airport 3hrs before departure does NOT apply if you're already checked in.

On your other thread someone mentioned the need to include the time to get through customs. That's totally incorrect info. From Poland you won't go through immigration, so there is no delay there.

I say go for it.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank You, J62. That's what my travel agent said, but I wasn't sure. Yes, my bags will be checked through. I'm flying LOT Polish to France and Continental to USA, but ticketed together. They are in the same alliance and have inter-line baggage agreements.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the extra screening step for flights to the US from Paris? When I flew through CDG a couple of weeks ago there was nothing other than the usual security line for all passengers leaving from the terminal, and nothing additional at the gate. This has been my consistent experience at that airport.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[I say go for it] If you decide to take that advice, consider using the Metro. Traffic on the highway and in Paris can be difficult/time consuming. One Metro change from CDG to get to the Eiffel Tower area.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 05:21 AM
J62

Ticketed together is not the same as being able to check-in together.

LOT and CO are both Star Alliance members, so best case you'd be checked in already for your Paris - US flight on CO and already have your boarding passes in Poland.

I believe CO has mid day flights from Paris to the US, so even if you aren't checked in yet you should be able to do that at 10am at Paris.

If that's the case then you just need to be at the gate before the door closes.

The more you can put in your checked bags the less you'll have to schlep around Paris.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

All great advice. We'll be shooting to take metro with one change to get to Eiffel tower, snap a shot, grab a bite, and head back, sound right?
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Very easy. From CDG take RER B line to St Michel. Then C line towards St Quen. Look for Eiffel stop. Anyone, please correct if not accurate. Richard

Very easy. From CDG take RER B line to St Michel. Then C line towards St Quen. Look for Eiffel stop. Anyone, please correct if not accurate. Richard