Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to Rome & Florence with 2 Kids in April

Mar 17th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Jyoti

Hello,

My husband and I are traveling to Rome in mid-April for a week with our 2 sons (11 and 9 years).

Any help with hotels close to the Center of Rome and Florence will be very much appreciated. We want to be in 1 room.. (range $200-$250 is OK as we are not renting a car).

We're thinking of going to Florence 1 day, stay 1 night and then return back to Rome the following day. Is this adequate for at least semi-detail sight-seeing in Florence? Please advise.

Thanks!
Jyoti

Mar 17th, 2002, 04:20 PM
rb

You can definitely do Florence (Firenze) in a day...It is a small city. However, it is not far from Rome so you can really spend almost two days and head back to Rome in the late afternoon.
Make sure the day you go is the day that sites that you want to visit are open...The Uffizi, The Accadamia (to see David). You may also want to make dinner reservations in advance if you know of a good restaurant. Have a good trip.

Mar 19th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Jyoti

Hi!

I have received several responses via different people on hotels in Rome. Can someone please provide input on which is better in terms of location, cleanliness and overall impression for the following: Residenza Cellini, Conditto29, Tiziano and Domus Julia.

We have narrowed down to these 4 above and I need help from you folks to make reservations for mid-April 2002. If there is one in this group that is a total NO, please advise me of that also.

Thanks for your help!
Jyoti

Mar 19th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Leslie

Jyoti - I don't know these hotels but you can search their location and probably see photos on either of these websites:

www.venere.it
www.itwg.com

My advice is to stay in the Centro Storico (historic center), near the Piazza Navona or the Pantheon in Rome. We went last year w/ our kids of similar age. Stayed at the Albergo Santa Chiara near the Pantheon. Had a large quad room and really liked it. 3 * hotel in your price range.

My kids loved Rome, especially the Colosseum tour and the Roman Forum (the view of the Forum from the back site of the Campidoglio, was inspiring. They also liked the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps and the Piazza Navona, also the Fontana di Trevi and daily gelato! The were excited to see the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican museum, but lost patience for the rest of the museums.

They were less enthralled with Florence as they have little patience for art museums. But, I must say, Michelangelo's David made quite an impression. Also, we all enjoyed the view from the Piazzale Michelangelo, walking across the Ponte Vecchio and strolling the Boboli Gardens.

I personally think you'll feel very stressed doing only one night in Florence. If, out of a week, you can squeeze two nights in Florence and 5 in Rome, this will be better balanced.

Note: my son was in 7th grade studying ancient Rome through the Renaissance so this trip really helped him relate to the history. Recommend you get some kid-oriented books on Italy before you.

Mar 21st, 2002, 08:41 PM
Jyoti

Thanks Leslie! Your input is very much appreciated..

We just confirmations from two hotels - Domus Julia and Tiziano. The other ones are equally expensive and could not give me 6 night in a row there... I have to now pick between these two (I understand they are both in Historic center).

Anyone, anything on these two hotels and if I should pick one over the other?

Thanks!

Mar 31st, 2002, 08:14 PM
Trying

So Jyoti: Where did you finally decide to stay at in Florence? I have tried to get some suggestions with out much success.

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:56 AM
xxx

Hotel Tiziano is on corso Vittorio Manuelle one of the busiest streets in Rome.

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:02 AM
ali

we stayed at Tiziano last year and it is on a busy street, but we liked it very much and it was easy walking distance to most of the sites. My father and sister also stayed at Santa Chiara and like it very much as well. Tiziano is a couple of blocks from the Piazza Navona. It's a pretty large hotel from an older home, but the room was large, very pretty, and comfortable.

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:49 AM
xxx

www.hotelnavona.com excellent hotel

Apr 1st, 2002, 11:57 AM
ttt

up

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:11 PM
Marj

If you do go to FLorence and your boys have had enough of art in rome, take them to the History of Science Museum. It's great. My kids loved it. For quad rooms we stayed in Rome at Santa Chiara and Hotel Casci in Florence. Another overnight trip from Rome that could be fun is Orvieto. They have an underground orvieto tour. Orvieto is a medieval town atop a hill in Umbria. It's a nice change from Rome.