Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   trip to Paris w/ an infant (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trip-to-paris-w-an-infant-726810/)

French1997 Aug 6th, 2007 11:52 AM

trip to Paris w/ an infant

My husband and I are planning a week vacation to Paris this coming October with our one year old son. Is it hard to do? WHile we're in Paris, we're thinking of taking a day trip to Bruges or Champaign.. would it be hard driving in a car w/ an infant and do you know how long it takes to get there by car?

ira Aug 6th, 2007 11:57 AM

Hi F,

Mo harder to visit Paris with a kid than anywhere else.

With only 1 week, I wouldn't plan a daytrip.

However, I think a train would be easier than renting a car.

((I))

swalter518 Aug 6th, 2007 01:59 PM

French, We're taking our 18 month old to Paris in late October. What we're planning is a very laid back, park filled approach, weather willing. Luxemburg Gardens, Tuilerie Gardens, etc. Luckily we've travelled to Paris before so we have the luxury of a more laid back approach. As for a daytrip, I'd make it train travel-if your baby is, or will be walking by then, he will be able to stretch his legs more and be much happier (at least our daughter would be). Thayls (sp?) runs high speed trains to Brussels--you may want to check their other destinations. Also check out Ciaobambino.com website for good tips.

starrsville Aug 6th, 2007 02:21 PM

Sidenote to ira - please excuse the interruption

ira, I ate at Maison Bleu today. Delish - per your recommendation. Thanks!

ira Aug 6th, 2007 02:28 PM

Hi Starr,

Yup, one of the best restaurants in Paris.

Glad you liked it.

((I))
NOTE: This is a joke. Maison Bleu is not in Paris.

starrsville Aug 6th, 2007 02:32 PM

:-D

Guenmai Aug 6th, 2007 04:46 PM

I personally wouldn't do Paris with a child. Happy Travels!

ParisEscapes Aug 6th, 2007 09:36 PM

French1997 - Personally, I find Paris one of the easiest cities to travel to with a small child. There are playgrounds next to every major tourist attraction - great for little a child run/crawl off some energy, before riding in the stroller again.

For snacks, pick up a crepe or a waffle with some juice off of a street vender. Yummy and cheap!

I'd pass taking a trip by car. For a day trip, I'd take a train. Even one year olds seem to be fasinated with "choo choo's" and your son will be able to stretch his legs in the cabin.

BKP Aug 6th, 2007 10:52 PM

Paris with an infant is not only doable, it's enjoyable! We took our son when he was 11 months and the French people loved him! Not only were they very accomodating and considerate, it opened up so many doors to new experiences. We talked to people we woud never have spoken to -- and it helped us duck a couple hour line at the Musee D'Orsay!
Two important pointers: #1 the stroller on the metro was a headache -- stairs everywhere -- we ended up walking everywhere.
#2 I can't reccomend enough getting an apartment over a hotel. We did and it worked perfectly. We put him down at night in the bedroom and then stayed up later by ourselves in the living room. We kept yogurt, cheese and fruit in the fridge -- so he was never grumpy with hunger. We also had access to a good sink where we could wash bottles and sippy cups (something I hate doing in a hotel sink).
If you have any more questions -- just ask -- I have plenty of opinions and advice. If you click on my name you can also pull up our trip report.
By the way -- people will think you are crazy, but you're not. Travelling with children is like travelling without them -- what you make it.
Good luck!