Trip to Paris and Provence - Days of the Week Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer I am travelling to Paris and Provence. Here are the key travel dates.

4/2/2006 - Buy PREM TGV Tickets - 60 day window opens
5/30/2006 (Tue) - Leave IAD (Dulles)
5/31/2006 (Wed) Arrive CDG (Paris)
6/3/2006 (Sat) TGV from Gare de Lyon to Aix
6/10/2006 (Sat) TGV direct to CDG - Flight home

I understand that - as a toursit - Sundays can be tough. Many merchants/sites are closed. How much better would this trip be if everthing was shited one day later? That would make two of the travel days Sunday instead of Saturday.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Most museums close on Mondays if they close at all, Sunday is not a closing day for such sites. But it is for smaller shops, don't know how much that matters to you. Restaurants and such are no problem.

Question: Can you really take the TGV to CDG and make your USA flight on the same day? CDG requires more time than just about any other airport in the world if you want to be on the safe side.

WK
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Actually, if the marvelous markets of Provence are of interest to you, Sundays can be glorious! I don't know all the Provence market schedules, but I'm sure someone here can tell you where there's a great market near Aix on a Sunday.

I, too, wouldn't schedule a TGV from Avignon to CDG on the same day as my flight, but maybe that's jut me. I did take the TGV from Lyon in August to CDG for a 1 pm flight, but that's a short trip and I allowed loads of time.

My personal rule of thumb for leaving from CDG to go back to the States is never arrive a minute short of 2.5 hours before departure time, and that's when I'm traveling alone - 3 hours is better, and pretty much essential if you don't know the airport very well or are traveling with others.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Leave plenty of time for CDG, the place is a fine example of constant total chaos
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Don't think I agree with some of the things Walley mentioned. Most shops in Aix will be closed on Sunday, and Monday morning also. Some, but not all, will open up again in the afternoon on Monday - around 3:00. I've been there on a Monday - and that's typical in France for many, if not most cities. Most museums will be open on Sunday. If you check your Green Michelin guide, you will see that some museums are closed on Mondays or Tuesdays. Many restaurants are closed on Sunday or Monday, but you shouldn't have any problem getting dinner or lunch.

Shops in the very touristy towns like Gordes are always open. The shops my wife likes the most in St Remy are closed on Mondays, but many are open on Sunday.

Aix might be a little dead on Sunday - but the countryside will be open. Perhaps head into the Luberon - it's a great area to drive around in on a Sunday.

I would make sure you get to the TGV station at CDG about 2 hrs before your flight time.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

I am hoping that the following schedule will work for that last day from Aix back to Washington DC - via CDG

9:09 AM Aix-en-Provence TGV 5168 to CDG
12:55 PM Arrive CDG
4:40 PM Air France Flt 26 to IAD
7:00 PM Arrive IAD

Does that sound reasonable? Of course - if the train is delayed I am in big trouble.

Also - I need to be careful neither the flight now the train sell out on me.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 09:47 AM

>>>if the train is delayed I am in big trouble.<<

Trouble ??? You might have to stay in Paris for a few days till you can get a flight out - what's the problem?

I've taken that same TGV line four times with no delays.

Stu Dudley