Search

Bologna digs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bologna digs

We're (a couple) looking for a decent place for 3 nights in Bologna for the end of Sept. A B&B or smallish hotel is preferred as is something with a bit of Italian flavor/character.

Would like a room that's somewhat quiet, has a comfortable bed, a fridge is a plus (not a deal breaker), good ventilation or A/C, close (15 min. walk (more or less) to main historical area and train.) Also, don't want to share a BR unless it's a unique situation, i.e. toilet is in a different area than shower, the house is so wonderful that sharing is ok.

130 USD is at the top of our budget.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:15 PM

The Hotel Paradise is nice -- its in the pedestrian zone, so the area is quiet. I've stayed there twice -- one room, for a family, had a kitchenette and fridge (it was a suite in a building across the way), but I don't think the other room did (a double on the top floor with a skylight). Bathrooms are en suite -- showers are small. Its about half-way between the train station and city center.

I've also stayed at the Hotel Porto San Momolo, south of the city center. It is also nice and in a quiet residential section -- the breakfast room is lovely and gardeny -- but possibly too expensive, and you'd want a taxi from the train station.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:04 PM

I also stayed at the Hotel Paradise and it was good: really helpful people working there, good breakfast, very convenient location. The price was reasonable.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:12 PM

Also stayed at Hotel Paradise in one of their apartments across from the hotel. We still had breakfast in the hotel included in apartment rate. Good rates, location and very friendly helpful staff.
www.hotelparadisebologna.com
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM

look through the airbnb listings. we will be staying in one in may and will post on it later... it meets all your requirements but can't vouch for it yet, so won't list by name. gets great reviews, though. check reviews carefully and see how communication is... seems like there are lots of options for you there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:14 PM

Another vote for the Hotel Paradise, we stayed in an apartment, also enjoyed breakfast at the hotel.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Great info so far. Will check the links.
Thanks

I'm trying to not make a big deal out of the place we stay as it will mostly be a place we sleep in. We're thinking of doing some day trips with maybe one day dedicated to Bologna. Eating, walking, maybe the Modern museum.
I looked into one of the food day trips but they were a bit limited on the days we were there.
Would love to hear about your favorite experiences or places that you found in Bologna.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:49 AM

Hi Cybor,

One of my favorite experiences in Bologna was a visit to the Santa Maria della Vita church on Via Clavature. It's home to a life-size terracotta pieta. You could feel the grief in the faces of the mourners.

Another highlight was wandering the food markets around Via Pescherie Vecchie and Via Drapperie, and ogling the beautiful displays of produce and pasta. The streets are lined with shops and in the evening, we found them full of life as the locals shop for ingredients for their evening meal. A real treat.

My trip was a few years ago, but I wrote about it if you are interested

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...om-and-sis.cfm

Hope you enjoy Bologna as much as we did
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 05:36 AM

The best thing to see in Bologna is the food on your plate -- be sure to get some restaurant recommendations.

Ditto the food markets.

I enjoyed the archeological museum.

Wander around the area near Piazzo Santo Stefano where the really old churches are -- we wandered into a courtyard just in time to hear the daily Gregorian chants, and it was magical.

The university area has a nice studenty vibe at night, with music and shows.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks, again. I went ahead and booked 3n at Hotel Paradise.
I asked for a quiet room and was offered the 3rd floor (looks like sky lights only ? or a street facing room.
Can anyone in the know tell me if they've been in either and if they have a preference.
I can't figure out if the 3rd floor rooms have a top floor deck or if the ceilings are low from what I'm seeing and reading.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 04:58 AM

I stayed in a third floor room with a skylight, and I don't recall much of a street view. Maybe a little bit of skyline if you stand in the right place? As I recall, part of the ceiling was slanted, but for the most part the the ceiling was of normal height. I don't remember a roof deck -- but you could ask the hotel.

There is no street noise since it is a pedestrian area, so all the rooms are pretty quiet. Except maybe the ones next to the elevator.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

capxx,
Thanks.
Not sure if my post was clear. I was offered 2 rooms;
1) 3rd floor with sky light
or
2) Room with a window facing the street.

Did you like your 3rd floor room?
Are the elevators close to either?
Appreciate.