Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to London with 14 & 16 year olds -- itinerary input appreciated!

Old Mar 21st, 2023, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 4 (with 14 and 16 yr old teen boys) will be going to London for the 1st time! We live in California. I've put together a rough draft of our itinerary. I'd appreciate input -- if/when we're doing too much, itinerary logistic improvement/rearrangement suggestions, nearby restaurants or other suggestions, and anything else! Our boys have never been to Europe, so they really have no idea what to expect! They have a slight interest in history, but are not bigs fans of museums. We think they will be in awe of the different culture and all the unique things to see in London! Excuse some of my notes within the draft-- they are reminders to myself!

Day 1 - Tues May 30: Arrive SFO ---> Heathrow at 2:30pm. Underground to South Kensington AirBnb - check in around 4:30pm-ish. Walk the neighborhood, get groceries, walk to Kensington garden, see Churchill Arms? Other ideas? Early to bed

Day 2 - Wed May 31: Walking Day! First visit Westminster Abbey 9:30am (buy tickets). Then walk by Buckingham Palace, see Changing of the Guard?( Not sure of time), Lunch at Buckingham Arms(?). Decide about going to Churchill War Rooms. Walk! -- see Big Ben, red phone booth, walk across Westminster Bridge and view House of Parliament, see #10 Downing Street, then walk to Trafalgar Square and Whitehall. Then walk to Covent Garden and find a place for dinner (also want to see Neal's yard). Rest of the evening wandering Covent Garden

Day 3 - Thur June 1: Either take the underground or Thames uber boat from South Kensington to Tower of London for 9am tour -- get tix in advance - (1st crown jewels, then Yeoman Warer tour). Guessing 9-11:30am there? Then to Tower Bridge (get tix in advance) and cross the river. View the Shard. Walk to Borough Market for late lunch. Wander around the market, then walk to see Globe theater, walk across Millennium Bridge to St Paul's Cathedral (get tix in advance) -- guessing 1 hour there?? If time afterwards, visit Sky Garden (get tickets in advance). Dinner???? Is this too busy of a day? Or better to take uber boat in the late afternoon/evening?

Day 4 Fri June 2: Underground from South Kensington or Glouchester (both near our AirBnb) Hyde Park Corner Underground - walk through St James Park - walk around, and walk to Paddington Station - Train to Windsor - (about 40 min) Walk around and have lunch in Windsor and tour castle (guess 3 hrs to see castle?) . Changing of guard at windsor is listed as only Tues, Thurs and Sat -- maybe will change?). Thinking we could arrive in Windsor around 11am - walk around, lunch, and castle around 1pm? Not sure what time we should book return train trip? And not sure what to do in the evening

Day 5 Sat June 3: AM - Portobello Road Market (get to Notting Hill station and follow the crowds) -- world's largest antique market (supposedly best on Saturdays) – go to far end for vintage clothes, then Camden Market (Fun way to get to Camden—take water boat cruise out of Little Venice to Camden Yard. Take tube back ), walk Notting Hill, wander around Harrods. Afternnoon Tea at one of the
Cafe Concertos. Not sure what to do in the evening?

Day 6 Sun June 4: Not sure about this day!

AM: British Museum (1 1/2 hrs max for our teens), My husband & I love going to different types of markets, but weren't not sure how long this will be of interest to our teens. Thinking about Sunday Up Market, Spitalfields Market, and walking around Brick Lane Street. Not sure what else to do with the day! ?? Could do Hop-on-Hoop-off Bus since it should be less crowded on the weekend? Dinner??

Monday June 5: Leaving free... but thinking of things we missed....piccadilly, leicester What else?

Tues June 6 : AM fly to Barcelona
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 11:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just quick comments for now -- more in the morning. On Day 2 forget about the Changing of the Guard. It is a huge time investment. To get a decent viewpoint one needs to get there more than an hour in advance and then - just. stand. there. waiting. Use the time instead to visit the Cabinet War Rooms/Churchill museum.

on Day 3 take the tube early to the Tower -- you can always take a boat back up river if you want. Most likely you'll be there longer than the 2.5 hours you've allocated. That day is not too busy - last entry to St Paul's is is 4PM. The Tower / Borough Market / St Pau's plus the various 'walk by's' is doable. I might not go inside Tower Bridge. Just walking across it would be enough. The tour is interesting but takes longer than you might expect and it would really make the rest of your day a rush.

Instead of Windsor -- maybe consider going to Hampton Court Palace instead. Train from Waterloo and then IF the weather is nice you can take the boat back down river. Windsor is interesting too of course. I just personally think HCP is better for families.

More later . . .
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 11:22 PM

Oh - and 100% (1000000%) forget about the H-o-H-o buses. Very expensive and if anything they are MORE crowded on weekends. There are soooooo many other sites you could visit - don't waste time sitting in traffic.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Oh - and 100% (1000000%) forget about the H-o-H-o buses. Very expensive and if anything they are MORE crowded on weekends. There are soooooo many other sites you could visit - don't waste time sitting in traffic.
100% agree. You are mostly breathing fumes and wasting time.
The only time it is fun is late on a warm Summer night, with snacks and drinks, siting outside on top. A bus party if you will, to see the city at night, not getting off the bus. More fun with a group.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 01:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your evenings need theatre, try and get into this https://www.shakespearesglobe.com/ or a more normal theatre, the language may be historic but the energy should be worth the trip.

Downing street is closed off, large steel gates and police outside, plus police with sub-machine guns inside. They may look friendly but don't dawdle in front of it to take selfies

First day try and stay outside in the fresh air as much as possible.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 06:38 AM

You've done your research and have a great plan started. One thing I noticed is no V&A. It's a lovely museum, and open late on Friday. The decorative arts/costume exhibits may not be of interest to the rest of your family, but if near your apt, may be worthwhile for you to pop in to the gift shop for gifts for family/friends.

Oh, also, I expect you're already prepping, but with your active family, and all your walking, comfortable feet are a must. I pack quality wool, hiking socks, walking shoes, and bandaids/moleskin for any possible blisters.

Hope you and the family have a great time!
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 08:18 AM

Why are you walking from St James Park to Paddington? If you want to be in Windsor by 11 am, that's a lot of walking in the morning.
And afternoon tea at Cafe Concerto? I haven't had tea there, but it wouldn't be on my list.
If you want to see the Churchill Arms in Kensington Church Street, do so before going to Portobello Road. Bus 70 goes from South Kensington via Royal Albert Hall up Kensington Church Street past the Churchill Arms. Get off the bus at Sheffield Terrace and walk to Portobello Road from there - if you're early enough have breakfast at Eggbreak on Uxbridge Street first.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 08:26 AM

You are staying in South Kensington but not going to any of the museums? They are free, you can just check them out. V&A has a fabulous cafe.
There's a science fiction exhibition in the Science Museum that may be of interest to the kids; that one you do have to book and pay for.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 08:57 AM

I see no reference to what your young men want to do and see. If they join in the research they will remember it as their trip too.
One example: In the northern portion of Kensington the Royal Albert Hall is a unique place to see a concert. Even if you only take the guided tour, they will see photos of music acts they recognize. Lots of info on the Internet.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 09:53 AM

Check out the Hereford Arms restaurant in S. Kensington,

Also agree with others who have said you might find Hampton Court more interesting than Windsor.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 02:31 PM

OP mentioned the teens weren't that keen on museums. The V&A could be great for mom, though.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChgoGal
OP mentioned the teens weren't that keen on museums. The V&A could be great for mom, though.

The kids ages are in the wheelhouse for the Science Museum and possibly for the Natural History. Since all three are next to each other, the family could easily split up with some going to one or another then meet up for a meal either in the Cafe at the V&A or in one of the restaurants near the South Kensington tube station.

Two museums the kids might enjoy -- the Imperial War Museum has things of interest for all ages. And perhaps the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 03:23 PM

Catch a west end show on the evening you are spending in Covent garden, Back to the future is a good pick for teens. 'Humble crumble' /Bread ahead are our teens' favourite stops at Borough market and Knoops for chocolate drinks in Covent garden.
Do a walking tour, lots of options on different themes, definitely not the HOHO bus.

Last edited by nikidi; Mar 22nd, 2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

That's super help! Thank you! We will skip Changing of the Guard. I've been on the fence about the Churchill War Rooms. I've read many people love it, and others don't feel it was worth the expense and time. As I said, our boys (very sadly!) aren't huge history or museum kids, but this one sounds small and engaging, so I'm on the fence about it!

And we'll skip going inside Tower Bridge too -- again, I"ve wondered if it's worth the time in queue and expense.

Our boys have never seen a castle (other than in cartoons! Ha!), so I think Windsor will be something new to see! Wish we had time to go to the Hampton Palace too! Sounds like an altogether different, but lovely experience! And so I know, would going to Hampton Palace be an all-day trip?
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

And we will skip Hoho bus -- sounds like no one here is a fan!

And I've re-thought the morning of Day 4 -- Tulips is right! Way too much walking. So now thinking go from South Kensington flat by underground to Waterloo, and catch 9:15 train to Windsor. Visit Windsor castle from approx 10-1, then lunch, then wander around Windsor. A friend who was recently in Windsor walked to Eton, but was disappointed she couldn't see more of the school, and she said she would skip going to Eton. Wonder if others feel that way? Also, I'm trying to figure out what time to book tickets back to London -- I think I have to book a time (?). Maybe 4pm??

On a side note, I see there are National Rail 2 for 1 discount tickets for several London attractions available for the same day of travel. Has anyone taken advantage of this? Since we won't probably be back in London until 5 (or later if you think we should stay in Windsor longer), I'm wondering how we might be able to take advantage of the Rail offering that evening. Let me know if anyone has a suggestion =)

And thx for the Churchill Arms logistics help Tulips! =)

As far as the theater, we'd like to go to a show! I hadn't thought about Back to the Future! Was thinking Wicked, Lion King, or Six. Have no idea what they would enjoy the most! We're on a budget, so if we go to the theater, we would be sitting in the less expensive seats if that matters...

And for Walking Tours, there are so many!! Again, I don't know which to choose!?!?

And for all the wonderful museums, we're going to see how things go! We live near San Francisco, and we've found when we take them to museums, they enjoy them briefly, and then are ready to be done (We feel like parent failures!! What did we do wrong! Ha!). Since London has several free museums (I don't think we have any free museums in San Francisco!), we'll hopefully be able to visit a few that are nearby to where we are, and stay as long (or little) as they show interest.

Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by laurarick
That's super help! Thank you! We will skip Changing of the Guard. I've been on the fence about the Churchill War Rooms. I've read many people love it, and others don't feel it was worth the expense and time. As I said, our boys (very sadly!) aren't huge history or museum kids, but this one sounds small and engaging, so I'm on the fence about it!
Not sure where you heard the Cabinet War Rooms is 'small'. It is a pretty large complex (not British Museum or V&A large but definitely large). Between the extensive war time bunker/War Rooms there is an attached museum with lots of interactive stuff. I have yet to take someone there that didn't spend at least an hour and a half - and usually they wish they could stay longer.

If they are not into WWII history and/or Churchill that might be time better spent doing something active or some other sightseeing. Rollerblading or boating in Hyde Park; Are the into Premier League?? There are tours at each of the big stadiums; The Eye; Climb to the top of St Paul's.

Are they at all into Harry Potter? If so, the Warner Brothers studio is AMAZING - but it would take half a day and likely a bit more.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 06:16 PM

Neals Yard other shop is near Borough Market so worth a look -its better than the Covent garden one IMHO -more room.

On the Sunday consider going to the Columbia Road Flower Market-its fun , lots of buskers and other htings besides flowers. Go on the bus.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
London Walks has many interesting walks. We do a couple on every visit to London. Check their website. walks.com

We have been both to Windsor and Hampton Court. Windsor has more gilt, Hampton is more interesting.

Since the Science Museum has no admission fee (same for all the public museums) the kids can walk in and stay only as long as they are interested. For instance:

Babbage's second machine. It's twice as high as a person!
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 04:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the lads don't know the Lovelace and Babbage story they need to. Foundation of modern computing with men and women as equals
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 05:39 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the Tower of London is a pretty typical castle, at least as much as Windsor. Also Hampton Park could pass for a castle, at least as much as WindsorCastle. Neither Hampton Court nor Windsor Castle looks much like a real castle to me, because of all those windows facing out. I think of a castle as having defensive walls. I agree that Hampton Court might be of greater interest to your family. The kids would probably enjoy the maze. My kids enjoyed the 17th century kitchen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -