Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trip to Greece with older children
Notices

Trip to Greece with older children

Aug 9th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Trip to Greece with older children

Planning on taking a trip to Greece next year for 2 weeks with my husband and our two daughters, ages 11 and 16. Which Greek Islands should we visit (best for teenagers)? My oldest daughter and I were thinking Santorini, but not sure if that is the best choice. Will stay in Athens for 2-3 nights, but would like to see a couple of islands. We might do other trips on the mainland, but might consider a beach resort for 4-5 nights (can be on the mainland as well). Thank you.
Aug 9th, 2014, 02:49 PM

I would consider Naxos or Paros...easy flights to the islands...then put Athens at the end to ensure you have no flight issues
Aug 9th, 2014, 02:50 PM

Some pics of Naxos https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7627668851905/
Aug 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM

I agree regarding Naxos ... what dates are you thinking of?? If you can choose, a lot of us highly recommend JUNE, vs July or August. (1) Weather is warm vs. burning hot, yet the water's warm enough for pleasant swims (2) everything's open, things are lively, but the huge crowds have not arrived yet, so your experience would be much better. In June, it's very pleasant to stay in Naxos at Ag. Giorgios (St. George) beach, directly adjacent to Naxos Town (Chora), the port. You can easily take one of the frequent busses to outer beaches ... and staying at St. G, you can easily stroll in 5-10 minutes to the harborside cafes, tavernas, shops, nightlife. No need to rent a car except perhaps for a couple of days, to swoop around this fascinating island, with dramatic inland landscapes (ruins! mountain villages! marble quarries).

A further advantage of Naxos (and also available on Paros) is that these 2 islands give you the opportunity to see other islands as day excursions. This is hard to do on most islands, because the commercial ferries are not set up to get you somewhere in the AM and return y you by dinnertime (they are set up for travel needs of greeks, more than tourism). However, on Naxos/Paros there are 2 excursion companies, which on 2 days of week can take you to Santorini, and on another 2 days, take you to Delos & Mykonos. You leave at 8 - 9, and return at 6:30 - 7pm. You get to see these "famous" islands, take the pictures, capture the vibe, while staying at a place that's less costly, less crowded/touristic, more serene.

Another note about Naxos & St. George -- the beach-by-town location means your daughters can have more freedom to roam and explore on their own, safely, without you worrying ... it's a family-oriented place. There are many family run lodgings right on the beach or just off, with balconies with sea views. If you'd like to stay at a further beach, I think Ag. Prokopios is lovely (and deep waters), if you can book right on the sand, particularly Liana Hotel.

If your 16-year-old absolutely pines to see Santorini at night, you could indulge her with a 24 hour visit -- upon arrival in ATH airport, take the soonest-available domestic flight to Santoirni. You can experience the famous view of the caldera, take lots of photos, window shop the expensive boutiques, enjoy supper & sunset etc, and next afternoon 3 pm take Blue Star ferry to Naxos. (Santorini is not primarily for beacjes, if u research reviews).

Here are a few highlights of Naxos, from Fodor regular "stanbr" (I take pix too, but his are SO much better!) https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...7634605629689/

Search this Thread