Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trip to Germany n Belgium (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trip-to-germany-n-belgium-954276/)

Samiready Oct 21st, 2012 08:27 AM

Trip to Germany n Belgium

Hi...I want to travel from Frankfurt on 21st Dec 2012 covering Bonn..Rhine Valley...Antwerp...and Brussels around Christmas...then Bavarian side ( Munich ) fr New years with my daughter....till 1st Jan '13. ....Can you pls suggest some nice places to chill and get the feel of the place. Not interested in a fast paced must tick off all sight seeing...Basically atleast 5 nights in Belgium...and 5 days in Germany on the whole.

Thank you !!

nytraveler Oct 21st, 2012 08:40 AM

I'm afraid trying to see 5 different cities in only 10 days - especially arond the holidays when you lose 2 full days to the holidays is a very ryshed pace not really time to see much of anything.

In the limited time you have I suggest you pick 2 hotels and do the sightseeing you can from those centers - or you will spend most ofyuor time either in transit or waiting for things to open after a holiday.

Samiready Oct 21st, 2012 09:24 AM

Heyyy thanks so much....what if I do it this way...Frankfurt - 21st/22/23rd. Leave for Antwerp on 24th-26th. Brussels on 27th-29th. ...And 30th to 1st Jan in Munich...on 1st to Geneva ???? Lol..its still about 2 days in each place. What do I skip...Dont know if I would do Belgium again !!!! HELP

treplow Oct 21st, 2012 01:57 PM

I have lived for 3 years in Brussels. We liked livi g there, but at the time you plan to be there, it is not the most festive city. Weather tends to be raw and rainy.

I would skip it, and concentrate on Munich/ Bavaria and possibly Salzburg.

Samiready Oct 22nd, 2012 03:49 AM

Thankyou treplow...maybe should stick to Vienna...instead of Belgium !

PAplumber Oct 25th, 2012 05:40 PM

Open jaw into Brussels out of Munich, and then slow down, enjoy your trip you will be in Europe at the Holidays. Have fun what ever you do.

LSky Oct 25th, 2012 05:52 PM

Do you have your hotel in Antwerp scheduled? I'd leave early and get there before the people start taking off of work early.

(I've never been to Christmas in Europe but I imagine it's a lot like the US, people travel on Christmas Eve to get places if they have to work.)

lavandula Oct 25th, 2012 10:21 PM

Christmas is celebrated on the 24th (evening meal) in most of Europe. Probably a wise idea to nail down accommodation and reserve restaurants for those couple of days sooner rather than later. Most shops will be closed until 27th, and just a few restaurants open. Antwerp is probably a good-sized place to have Christmas, with quite a few options. If you pick a bigger sort of hotel they might have a restaurant that will be open to guests.

Lavandula

Samiready Oct 31st, 2012 04:45 AM

Thank you PAplumber..LSky...Lavandula...for your inputs..really appreciate it.

Regards,

Samiready