Notices

Trip to France - Paris/Provence/Alps

Old Nov 24th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trip to France - Paris/Provence/Alps

My daughter is traveling with her school to France this summer in June/July. My husband and I, 10-year-old daughter, and in-laws will be heading to Paris for a few days, then picking her up at the end of her trip in Nice. Here is my first draft of our itinerary:

Paris - 4 nights, train to Nice
Nice - 1 night, pick up daughter in the morning before leaving Nice (get rental car)
L'Isle sur La Sorgue - 4 nights, use as a base to explore Provence (including Avignon, Orange, Pont du Gard, Aix, Remy, Les Baux/Lumieres show, lavender fields, Luberon villages, Sunday market in L'Isle sur La Sorgue)
Moustiers - 1 night, Gorges du Verdon
Barcelonnette - 2 nights, Mercantour National Park
Briancon - 2 nights, St Veran
Grenoble - 1 night

After Grenoble, my in-laws are taking the train to Paris for an early afternoon flight home. My husband and I and the girls will be staying 2 additional nights before flying home from Paris around 9 am. We're looking for ideas where to go near Paris, on the way to Paris from Grenoble, or near Grenoble (or bypass Grenoble all together after Briancon) for those extra 1-2 nights that would offer a good contrast to what we have already done. One possibility is to go to Versailles if my daughter didn't already go there with her school group. If she did, then we will likely go to Versailles when we are in Paris at the beginning of the trip.

Any suggestions are welcome about alternative routes, lodging (budget around $300-400/night for the 6 of us, ok for an occasional splurge up to $500), places to eat, and things that must not be missed. What are your absolute favorites in the region? We enjoy driving scenic routes, short/rewarding hikes when driving, some longer planned hikes are ok especially on days where we are not driving to a new place, food, markets, ruins, cathedrals, minimal museums (except Paris).
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 10:37 AM
kja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In L'Isle sur la Sorgue, I would highly recommend a dinner at Les Terrasses By David et Louisa.

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report:
A stellar month in southeastern France
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I certainly would not visit Versailles in the summer - it is a zoo. We were there on a weekend in October to tour the gardens, and the line to get in the chateau (different line than for the gardens) was hours long. We returned a few days later to visit the Grande Apartments - and it was still shoulder to shoulder people in the Chateau.

If you heed to depart at 9am, you need to be in or very near CDG the night before - so you really have only 1 night to spend elsewhere. The logical choice is Lyon. You could also drive to Annecy & stay there - but you have already spent a lot of time in the Alps. Dijon/Burgundy & Strasbourg/Alsace will take too much driving to get there, IMO.

Attached are my Alps & Provence/Cote d'Azir itinerares.

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Alps.doc (68.5 KB, 8 views)
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And Lyon itinerary

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Lyon.doc (26.0 KB, 13 views)
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to be at CDG or a short taxi ride away for a morning departure.

Versailles is a horror in summer. Skip it. What do you need to know about it that isn't obvious on websites or books anyway? It's not as though you need to be become intimate with the neck sweat and back-of-kneecaps of strangers in front of you to understand the history of the place. In fact, better if you just book-learn it.

Your Provence itinerary looks pretty standard. All good and nothing out of the ordinary; all on the "not to be missed" list. No surprises there.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 07:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the 4th to the 20th of July, there will be the Avignon festival, a street festival which is very nice and famous
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 09:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bonjour
Vaux le vicomte is as nice as Versailles.
From Grenoble tou may go to a ski station and enjoy a hike there.
Have fun.
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 10:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stu.
A few things about your itinerary of côte d azur.
I will not use it personally - too ' personal ' and would only rely on green Michelin guides but I guess some people like it.

First remark is : it is Côte d'Azur. A cote is a measurement in french.
It is cavalaire sur mer not cavaloire sur mere. No mother here.
I am surprised you don't find st Trop too touristy. And without jet setters.
and next time visit rayol canadel it is a must.
Also tou don't seem to include walks. There are a lot of gorgeous walks. Just to mention one of our favorites : cap lardier starting from La Croix valmer plage. Consider at least 2 hours and have a swim - lots of criques with hardly anybody.
I find it remarkable that you found a way to eat at last verdoyante. Been trying for 10 years always failed and dropped it. They don't take reservations and are always full. Good for them. Since I usually have dinner at 8 or 9 I reserve. I recommend le micocoulier in gassin.
Have a good day.
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 09:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should perhaps add this to my write up about St Tropez.

We stay overnight in St Tropez - we never visit it as a day trip from elsewhere. We get up in the morning and go to the Place de Lices around 8am for coffee & croissants, and then visit the port. After breakfast, we wander through town & admire the shops & building architecture until around 10:30am. Then we depart St Tropez to visit "elsewhere". We return around 6pm to explore more. We're never in St Tropez between 11 am & 6 PM when it is often shoulder-to-shoulder people. This is the time-table we follow when visiting any super touristy town in France - Gordes, Sarlat, St Remy, etc.

We were in St Tropez for 1 week in 2017. We made reservations for Verdoyante and had dinner there one night. About 8 years earlier, we also made reservations there & dined with friends. It was our friend's favorite restaurant in the region. They still take about it. We think the food is a C+, but the outdoor ambience is an A-.

>>>First remark is : it is Côte d'Azur. A cote is a measurement in french.<<

If your "correction" refers to the little hat on the Cote - I don't know how to do that on my PC. If it is not the hat - I don't understand what you are suggesting.

>>It is cavalaire sur mer not cavaloire sur mere <<

Thanks for correcting my typo. I'll make that change to my itinerary.

Stu Dudley

It is cavalaire sur mer not cavaloire sur mere

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Nov 29th, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 03:07 PM
kja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for le Micocoulier in Gassin! I had a wonderful meal there, on ahbonvraiment's recommendation.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 05:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. The hat is called accent circonflexe.
You may want to copy paste it from somewhere if you can't find it on your laptop.

Cote and côte are two different things.
That is greatly disturbing for a frenchspeaking and it being in the title makes the wrong impression.
But if it is too much to bother then leave it like it is.
just so t send it to french people ! 😏
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are flying trans-Atlantic, you and your in-laws might benefit from a multi-city airline itinerary. I would fly into Nice, probably with a connection through a European gateway airport. Do your travelling, by car or train, working your way to Paris, and fly home from there. This schedule must be arranged using a multi-destination search function, which most agencies and many airlines provide. The itinerary is not a set of one-way flights. You save a lot of time and maybe even money since you are not retracing your steps to the arrival airport.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 08:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "hat"? Omg. The is an actual letter in French, as is every other accented letter, as in a different letter in the alphabet. You can easily make these letters on both Macs and PCs. True francohpiles will figure out how to do this - it's not difficult.