trip to europe

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip to europe

My family and I will be going to Europe on May of 2006.
Is there anyone who could give me information on train travel from venice to munich, never traveled on train before and have no idea when to purchase tickets or where I wonder if I could do that in the inernet. I will spend 15 days starting in Rome 3 nights , then drive to Florence stay there for 2 nights, then to venice for 2 nights, the rest I will stay in germany at a friends house. Also information on hotels looking for clean but not expensive ones. Do you think 2 weeks is enough time
thanks
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hi Tribi, Since all posts here are about someone's "trip to europe" you might want to say in the title of your post, "Train Website for Italy" or "Train from Venice to Munich" for example. More people with answers might read your post. kind regards, s.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Check out Rail Europe's website. They offer all sorts of different packages. You can even get rail/drive packages. Once you know your itineray, play with the different options available and see what best deal is for you. They will also give you point to point options. Hint, stick to one driver for the car, significant hiddent cost increases for second driver.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:17 PM

For your stops from Rome to Florence, and then Venice, consider the train instead of driving. Much easier if you aren't stopping along the way.

For trains within Italy, you can do research on trenitalia.com, which isn't the most user friendly website. However, you can get a good idea of routes, times, and more.

When I have to purchase train tickets in Italy, I usually buy them at a local travel agency. They will have a Trenitalia logo in their window. It is very easy.

Sometimes when arriving in Rome at FCO, I will buy tickets there at the airoport station for the next leg of the trip, but this can also be done quite easily at a travel agency. Either way, it is easier than standing in line at the ticket counter in a train station.

I hope this is helpful.
Debbie
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi trib,

Go to www.trenitalia.com or www.bahn.de to buy your tickets from Venice to Munich online. About 88E.

There is no need to rent a car to go from Rome to Florence to Venice. Buy your tickets online at www.trenitalia.com.

In Florence, I can highly recommend the B&B Peterson (www.bedinflorence.it)

2 weeks is fine.

I would skip Rome and do 4 days in Florence (with a daytrip to Siena) and 3 days in Venice, but I am biased.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Oops, computer malfunction. Having driven in several countries and also traveled with train passes, my personal preference is now train from point to point and then car rental for sight seeing. I take train from one city to next. Check suitcases in at hotel. Then rent car to sightsee. Overall I have found this to be the most enjoyable (for driver) and less stress. How big is the family? Keep in mind, European cars are much smaller than in U.S./Canada. European midsize = U.S. compact. Drove 17 days in France with three people mid-size car. One suitcase + one carryone size bag per person and we still had to have one suitcase in backseat.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:26 PM

I also agree with Ira. Less days in Rome and more time in Florence to explore the Tuscany area. Siena definite must see as well as other small towns in that area. Have fun.