Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's an appropriate price for economy airfare US (ORD) to CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently for September it looks like $1250 RT.

Should I expect better?
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no, the price is what it is. You can check all the major carriers on a source like www.kayak.com etc and you'll find out what the going price is
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:03 PM

If this is for a non stop flight, I shouldn´t expect much better.
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be aware that those prices can constantly change depending upon how well the particular flight is selling. The price in five minutes could be higher or could be lower.

I just plugged in dummy August dates and the cheapest that came up is MORE THAN $1400 R/T so obviously the date and day of the week are going to matter somewhat.

Even el cheapo Icelandair is MUCH more expensive than the price you found; got for it now and worry about other trip aspects.
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, non-stop

christina, I was curious whether a better price might be possible later. for example, if a sale price for Sept. flight in May was $1250 RT, might another sale in July (for example) go for, say, $1095?
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:29 PM

Don't hold your breath.

It could go the other way.

Look into odd routes. I know Finnair and Iberia have had good prices to various European destinations over the past few years if you don't mind changing in Madrid or Helsinki
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:28 PM

Of course, you know that you can monitor "typical" prices for selected dates at www.matrix.itasoftware.com
then, if you see a big deal, jump on it! I have been monitoring flights to Zurich for late September...its stayed $1140-$1280 (NOT direct)for months now!
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:09 PM

air lingua has some good rates.. under $1000 in september.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:10 PM

air lingus
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:12 PM

Since nearly every direct flight between the US and Europe are flying full during high season, September included, there will be no discounts offered at a later date, that means up until one hour before departure.

The least expensive seats always go first. If you check the cost one minute and then go back a few minutes later, you'll see how quickly price and availability change. Using a third party booking site to check flights can be tricky, even when using ITA, which is now owned by Google, I believe, since they do not get updated immediately when prices change. It's best to check with the airline you're planning on flying with to get the latest prices.

The only real option is to check with an agent the handles consolidated fares. They might have something, especially coach seats, but these flights are generally not direct, so you may end up traveling several hours longer than you had planned on.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We fly ORD to CDG in Sept. for years now. If that's a direct flight, grab it if it's still available.
The prices seem much higher this year than in the past.
Aer Lingus does have good rates but I've never seen a direct flight. They usually change in Dublin.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:47 PM

If you are only interested in airfare alone, there might be a merit in waiting. However, if you are interested in total cost = airfare+ground transport+accommodations, then it might backfire on you EVEN if you find a better airfare later. If you are traveling on TGV, missing PREM opportunities will negate savings you might have achieved with airfares. Also, if the sought out lower price accommodations are booked up, you also lose out.
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:34 AM

Just a detail that can make a different with airline tickets; all non stops are direct but not all direct flights are non stop.
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:36 AM

True, but going to Europe from the US, nonstop and direct are about the same thing. There is one exception I have ever come across and that was Ireland. I did fly Aer Lingus direct to Dublin, but the same plane stopped in Shannon first, as I recall. But otherwise, you are usually flying to some major hub in Europe and if you are going to some other city, you have to transfer to local flights, the big huge airlines flying from the US don't do the smaller local routes.