Search

Trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2017, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Europe

Helo,
I am looking for recommendations for a first trip to europe.I just graduated from high school and I'm taking a gap year before university or college, currently I am free and i am looking for a trip that will help me expand my mind and help me build myself up in order to be ready for my next chapter in life (university), I am open for every kind of experince, but I am coming form a conservative and overprotective family that won't allow every trip, I would appreciate every help and every recommendation for a trip.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to take a look at Lonely Planet's thorntree - there is a whole forum for gap year travel.

Consider a focus - maybe learning a language, learning about architecture, etc.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 05:10 AM

You looking for a tour or on your own

how long

what's your budget

when - what months

Trains are great for getting around - some sources to help you understand the rail system - www.budgeteuropetravel.com (superb online European Planning & Rail Guide is a great start with suggested rail itineraries all over Europe); www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

Under 29 you can get a Eurail Youthpass valid all over Europe on nearly all trains except U.K. For folks traveling around much a good deal - hop on trains at will in most countries.

Staying in youth hostels will let you meet others your age from around the world.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PQ - it really helps if you READ the OP.

She says: " I'm taking a <b>gap year</b>" (emphasis added).

She told you how long. Of course she doesn't want a tour for a year.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 08:08 AM

gap year does not mean she will spend it all in Europe- think of how much money that would cost?
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Most EU countries are part of the Schengen agreement, which means you cannot stay more than 90 days without a special visa. Otherwise no visa is required. A SIL is moving to Spain and there is a great deal of paperwork involved including financial statements and a certification from the FBI that you were never a felon. No kidding.

After we were married we spent six months in Europe. Much different times and costs. And it will be a memorable experience.