Search

Trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Anne Marie Smith

Trip to Europe

I am planning to go to Europe (for 2 days) in Nov. People tell me that it would not be a good time to visit Switzerland. Can anyone suggest any other destinations. Some of the other options I am exploring are Madrid, Rome, London, Vienna, and Paris. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Linda

With only two days, I'd advise Madrid, which some tell me you can get a good introduction to in 2 days. The rest need longer, I think.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:46 AM
elvira

A lot depends on your departure city and whether you have a non-stop flight: <BR>JFK&gt;London allows more time at your destination. A direct flight Miami&gt;Madrid is also a timesaver, but JFK&gt;Madrid with a 4 hour layover in Paris isn't. I'd look for a direct flight from your city, and take whatever European city is on the other end to maximize your time.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Erin

I was in Europe in Nov a few years back - go south, its warmer, which makes it easier to pack (less bulky clothes).

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:44 PM

Will you be travelling alone?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Carla

You didn't say if this will be your first trip, or what your departure city is. But with only two days, I'd suggest London. It will be cold, but with two days you'll need to simplify as much as possible to enjoy it. With London, you're more likely to get a direct flight, and you'll have one less barrier -- the language barrier -- to overcome before you start to enjoy yourself. (Paris would be a good second choice, because of direct flights and because things are close together, but personally, it takes me at least four days before I start to enjoy Paris. It's kind of draining at first. Vienna is also lovely, and you can do a lot if you stay near the Stephansplatz, but I think it means airport transfers. And again, the language adjustment.) What ever you do, for goodness sake splurge on a hotel in the center of things (in London this would be the West End) so you don't waste time in transit, and don't try to cram too many activities into two days. Maybe take a bus tour the first morning, and then return to whatever appealed to you the most, or just soak up the atmosphere. Read up on jet-lag and try to stay up till bedtime your first day, or you might sleep through the whole trip. Have a great, if short, adventure!