Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   trip to England, Spain, Italy from USA (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trip-to-england-spain-italy-from-usa-499517/)

marbon Jan 29th, 2005 01:07 PM

trip to England, Spain, Italy from USA

We're planning a trip to London, Barcelona and Rome in the Fall. Any suggestions about the best way to fly. Can we fly to Barcelona with a stop over in London for a few days? Then how to get to Rome from Barcelona? Is train a better way to travel from Barcelona to Rome? Any ideas are welcome!

JoeTro Jan 29th, 2005 01:13 PM

From London, you can use no-frills airlines to get to either Barcelona or Rome (I flew RyanAir from London to Girona Barcelona last month). Check whichbudget.com.

You might be able to get from Barcelona to Rome with these airlines, but I doubt it. I suppose if you did not want to train it you could fly back to London and then out from there again.

JoeTro Jan 29th, 2005 01:14 PM

Never mind - you can get from Rome to/from Barcelona on RyanAir. So do that! Just be sure you aren't bringing too much luggage - you are allowed to check 15 kg.

marbon Jan 29th, 2005 01:22 PM

From which airport in London did you fly to Girona? It seems there are several airports. Is oneeasier to get to in London? I wanted to go to Girona and then to Barcelona so this is perfect. Then it sounds like we can fly or train to Rome from Barcelona. Thanks.

JoeTro Jan 29th, 2005 01:24 PM

Definitely fly. It will be much faster and cheaper between Barcelona and Rome (just remember you have to get back to Girona). Girona is very blah, IMO.

I fly out of Stansted, but I believe you can get to Girona from both Stansted and Luton. Take your pick based on price. I think Stansted is personally a little easier to get to; there is both a low cost bus and a Stansted Express train. Google both Stansted and Luton airports and see how they recommend you get there for all of the options.

Price flights out of both places.

Everything is mapped out on ryanair.com

Have fun.

marbon Jan 29th, 2005 01:31 PM

We were hoping to do one way from Girona to Roma. Don't know if on way's much more expensive than RT? Do you know if we can buy tickets online from USA or is it better to wait il we're in London? Thanks- very helpful suggestions!

JoeTro Jan 29th, 2005 01:34 PM

Everything is spelled out on ryanair. Book now - the sooner the better (usually) for prices (sometimes they have good sales). You can buy online from the US - everything is electronic, nothing paper. They price each tickets each way so you do not pay tons of money for a one way ticket.

If you hit up their website you should find everything you need.

RyanAir runs a bus in from Gironia to Barcelona and back.

m_kingdom2 Jan 29th, 2005 01:35 PM

Do another Italian city, it's far more logical, and far more fulfilling. Barcelona is vastly overrated, and has far too many American tourists, it's an awful city which one cannot warm to. There's simply nothing spectacular to see, Gaudi's architecture should've been pulled down long ago, the shops are very poor, the beach is full of oily, cooking corpses, don't waste your time!

Go to Venice/Florence/Neapolitan Riviera...you won't regret it!

Where2Travel Jan 30th, 2005 03:10 AM

Or you can fly Easyjet (another budget airline like Ryanair) and they fly direct from London to Barcelona Airport which you may find more convenient than Girona.

Easyjet go from Gatwick, Luton or Stansted airports to Barcelona as well so you have plenty of choice over airport, flight time, cost.