Search

Trip to England

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to England

My husband & I are planning to spend the Christmas Holidays in England. Every year we try to experience a different country and we really enjoyed it!!!. We have been to London several times. This year we want to spend the time visiting the countryside and because we have relatives in the Northamptonshire we would like to know what places can we visit in that area. We plan to go to Oxford (one or two days) Blenheim Castle and Warwick. Can you recommend a place to stay? We are spending two days in Thornbury Castle near Bath, but that's all we have planned for. We love the landscape, the history and the architecture of each place. Any advise will be much appreciated.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Had you considered Stratford? Although it can quite insane in the summer, I think it would be charming at Xmas with decorations, theatre, etc. It's also handy to both Oxford and Northants. http://www.stratford-upon-avon.co.uk/

Something smaller would be Winchcombe, a very attractive, larger village in the Cotswolds. You might consider staying in one of the cottages or apartments available at Sudeley Castle. http://www.sudeleycastle.co.uk/holidayacomm.html

Another alternative might be to investigate the properties the National Trust rents out. Snowshill is a wonderful little village, very quiet and with a great pub - the Snowshills Arms.
http://www.nationaltrustcottages.co....=The+Cotswolds

Or another storybook village is Great Tew - you can stay at the amazing pub there, the Falkland Arms.
http://www.nationaltrustcottages.co....=The+Cotswolds

Please make sure to post your trip report when you return. Although people often ask about Xmas visits, we tend not to hear back from them very often. Have a great time.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Dear Sonadora,
You should try to get tickets for a Pantomime while you are here.It is a tradition for all the family but like Disney, it's fun from ages 6 to 96. Boxing day is a big sporting day in the UK so if you are sports fans there is always football or Rugby games.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM

I'm not really answering your question but I would advise you check if Blenheim Palace is open on the dates you are here. I think it closes for a couple of months in winter.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:44 PM

I just had to reply because we got back from our England/Paris trip just last week. We spend 1 night at Thornbury Castle and it was a definite highlight of our trip. It is just wonderful for exploring the grounds and soaking in the castle atmosphere. You will love it. We also went to Blenheim and thought it was the most lovely thing we had seen. After Blenheim we spend 1 night in the charming town of Burton on the Water in the Dial House Inn. The Dial house was simply terrific. We could not have been happier with our choice of inn or town. Completely charming. Blenheim to Burton was about 40 min. drive and Burton to Thornbury about the same.
Have a great time.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:59 PM

As was mentioned on your other thread - Blenheim closes for the season from early dec through mid feb. The great park is open but the gardens and Palace will be shut.

I would probably stay somewhere like Burford since it is a lively but still small village. Several pubs, good shopping, and a couple of nice hotels. The Bay Tree is very nice. If you want more of an upscale B&B the Burford House is also nice.

Or you might consider the Swan in Bibury.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all of you for giving me all this information. I really appreciate it!!!! I want to do it all!! Now we have another couple going with us. They are returning to the US on the 1st of January and I have another question for you well informed travelers: Where to spend New years Eve in a nice place close enough to Heathrow (they have and early evenning flight) and not too far from our home base in the Northamptonshire?. I don't know if this is too early for planning but when I called Thornbury Castle they were alredy booking for the holidays.
Thank you again for all your help!
Teresita
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:28 AM

If you're thinking of being anywhere near Oxford over Christmas, there is only one piece of entertainment you need to see.

The Chipping Norton pantomime (aka the Chippy Panto).

Go to www.chippingnortontheatre.co.uk And if you book the seats I want, you'll be cursed down the ages.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM

I'm sure there must be other nice places convenient to Heathrow but we always choose Sir Christopher Wren House in Windsor.

They are already booking for Christmas and New Years eve, too!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Meant to post the link!

http://www.sirchristopherwren.co.uk/...mas_offers.htm
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Jody,
Thank you. What a great idea.!I contacted Sir Christopher Wrenn and I'm waiting for a reply. The website showed no availability for those days. I have been trying to call but there is no answer. I just send an email. It looks lovely.
Teresita
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:04 PM

sonadora: You may have a problem finding a nice place for just New Year's Eve. Especially since it falls on a Saturday night. Most nice properties will probably have a 2, or possibly even 3, night minimum.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Janis. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:32 PM

Wherever you think you might like to visit, you can find out all sorts of information by going to google, and typing: tourist information centre, followed by the name of the town you want to know about, eg: tourist information centre bourton-on-the-water, and up come lots of links, with places to see, eat and stay.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Great! I'll try googles then.
Thanks to everyone.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:22 AM

For great countryside, I would head a little further north to the Lakes District. Warwick castle is too touristy but Blenheim is very nice.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Jody & Janis,
Just an update on our trip.....
Got reservations for New Year's Eve at Sir Christopher Wren House. No minimum days required. Blenheim Palace will be closed only on Christmas Day (hard to believe, but I'll keep checking).We are also looking into Burford House to spend a couple of days. Thanks to all...
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM

A place that we like very much is Tylney Hall, about half an hour from Heathrow. We've stayed twice--it's a lovely old manor house still privately owned, with very comfortable and charming rooms fileld with antiques. Friends who went there on our recommendation now ask when we suggest a hotel "Is it as good as Tylney Hall?"

Another good choice is Great Fosters, in Egham, about 20 minutes from Heathrow. It's a former Tudor hunting lodge; the original part of the house has some extraordinary rooms, one huge (with a bathroom larger than most bedrooms), and a good restaurant. On Saturday nights there are dances, and I'm sure there will be holiday festivities as well.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Sorry--I left of the hotels' web sites:

http://www.tylneyhall.co.uk/

http://www.greatfosters.co.uk/
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

underhill: thank you for your suggestions. I checked their website. Both places look very nice!!
Waiting for a reply.
I'll keep you informed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -