Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to Austria at end of August early September. Need Information.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to visit Austria at the end of August for 14-18 days, probably arrive in Vienna on 25th Aug from Pakistan. I started planning a few days ago. Glad i found this site. I intend to go to hallstatt and spend 1 or 2 nights before moving on to salzburg for a day. Then Innsbruk and use that as a base to look at the Tirol and Salzburg Mountains including Glossglockner. Also looking for a 3-7 day trekking/hiking tour in the mountains. Am still planning and am looking information on the best mountain locations/trips and also in finding the right trekking tours.With the information i have around 125-150 euros per day in addition to an austria rail pass and plane ticket should be enuf. What do you think? Also, am looking to hook up with others who are into similar things, going to Austria around the same time. Am flexible for now about the itinerary. Later.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM

I suggest you start out in (or near)Salzburg and visit that city, go from there to Hallstatt (1 night is enough, unless you want to do some mountain trecking in the Dachstein region). Innsbruck is not the best location to visiut some of the other places you mention.

You should then take the train from Salzburg to Zell am See and stay there or better yet in nearby Mittersill. From Z.a.S.(or Mittersill, 28km west of Z.a.S.) you can do the Grossglocnner, the Kitzsteinhorn/Kaprun and from Mittersill some of the higher peaks of the Hohe Tauern alps (e.g. Grossvenediger, etc.)

Then you should plan to go on to Innsbruck, but perhaps stay in one of the nearby valle7s, such as the Stubaital and hike some of its mountains.

Don't ignore the possibility of mountain hiking in the Dolomites, from one of the valleys north of Bolzano in Italy.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 03:09 PM

Heiligenblut on the south side of the mountain range which the Grossglockner Hochalpenstraße traverses is a cute little town. We stayed at Landhaus Christof run by the Kramser family. It was adequate for our needs.

The hotel in town, I believe it was the Post, is more upscale with a great restaurant.

Another place I enjoyed was Langenfeld in the Ötztal. It is near Solden and other villages at the end of the valley.
There is plenty of hiking around the area. We rented an apartment for a week and shopped the local markets for supplies. The apartment was cheaper than a hotel and far more spacious.\\

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM

I suggest instead of Innsbruck, you base yourself in Hall just a few kilometers east of Innsbruck. Much nicer, smaller town, but with a larger "old town". If you do a search for "Hall in Tirol" you will find some good info on Fodor's as well as google.com. From there, you can take a bus or train into Innsbruck.

Hallstatt is one of our favorite places in Europe but it is likely to be very crowded while you are there since it is major tourist time. But many of the tourists are daytrippers who will be gone by mid to late afternoon. Be sure to visit the local Hallstatt museum, it is truly a fascinating look at the area's history.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for such surprisingly prompt and helpful information.

After some browsing (since i know very little), I agree with suggestions of going to hallstatt and then to Mittersell/ZAC from salzburg. 1 or 2 nights in hallstatt depend on the kind of scenary or trails around that place. How do they compete with some of
other mountain areas we are talking about? The suggestion about staying in Hall and/or a valley adjacent to innsbruck and tracking the Dolomites make sense.

The suggestions of Heiligenblut, Langenfeld also seem to fit in and the trekking seems interesting. I am now beginning to actually put together a rough itinerary. One thing though, I am not as interested in completely snow covered landscapes as I am in looking at green, rock and water, with snowcovered peaks in the background or occassional snow areas. I would probably spend no more then 1-2 nights at a completely snow covered place.

Where/Can I find a map that shows names of mountain ranges and valleys, and maybe trekk routes accross them. (pushing my luck I am sure) having a lot of trouble figuring out location of different valleys and mountains because the maps only show province, city or at best major towns.

I am also evaluating how to combine train travel with car travel. since it gives a lot more flexibility and there are places the trains dont go. Depends on where do I take a car and what areas do i cover that the trian cannot. Thinking of doing the grossglockner road. Is it easy to hook up with other who want to do such drives since I am alone and it wud help to share the cost and journey with others. The 3 day austrian rail pass should cover the travelling i need to do in austria right?

Thanks guys. Later
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:06 AM

>Where/Can I find a map that shows names of mountain ranges and valleys, and maybe trekk routes accross them. (pushing my luck I am sure)

Why pushing your luck? There are excellent hiking maps with hiking trails etc. from the Austrian cartography institute (1:25000 and 1:50000) as well as cheaper (but somewhat lower quality) hiking maps from Compass (1:30000 and 1:50000) and Freytag&Berndt
http://www.freytagberndt.at/rtc-freytagberndt

Hiking across the mountains is a mass sport/hobby in Austria and other Alpine countries and the market is well coverd. But most literature will be in german of course.

You will be able to buy all maps you need in any bigger book shop in Austria.
If planning to stop over night in mountain huts, it is always advisable to call at least a day ahead.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Ok. Thanks for the map info. Actually I am in Pakistan and I cant even find a country guide for austria. am getting a freind of mine to pick up some related literature and maps from UK before he comes back to Pakistan at the end of July.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Hallstatt is truly amazing. The mountains come right down to the lake creating an amazing backdrop.

As we have been many times, you can go to www.webshots.com and do a search for dkubiak. This will bring up our photo albums from past trips. You can also go to www.google.com and look under the Images heading for Hallstatt.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM

I am not an Austria expert but I truly enjoyed the 2 days I spent in Graz. I think it was because there were not so many people like me - tourists.