Hip & Trendy areas of London

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hip & Trendy areas of London

What are the hip and trendy neighboorhoods of London? I live in the Lincoln Park part of Chicago, which is filled with fun restaurants, trendy bars, cute shopping, beautiful homes, and lots of young professionals. Does London have a version of this neighborhood? I would love to check it out. If so, what is this areas location in reference to Kensington (where my hotel is)?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:53 PM

London doesn't have any monocultural ghettoes like the place you describe. But the places that come closest are a lot more interesting.

By the time young professionals have fully gentrified an area to the point where real shops are priced out, and only overpriced junk vendors can survive, we tend to be at least menopausal. That's the case with Islington, where the strip of loud bars and mediocre restaurants (Upper St) is mostly patronised by young people from cheaper parts of town. Meanwhile, the early colonists sup Wine Society claret in their Canonbury houses, grumbling about the cost of peerages.

Almost all our attractive housing stock consists of terraces in the style usually called Georgian (actually most of them built in the reign of William IV, so therefore strictly 'Guglielmian'). Scrubbed up, they're jolly nice - but most of the refurb money goes into the bits you can't see. Possibly the most aestheticaly satisfying urban iving machines every invented - but not what I'd call beautiful, and they do feel a bit samey after the first few miles.

And London, however posh-looking, has ubiquitous pockets of underprivilege: the local school for Notting Hill (which to a casual eye might seem just what you're looking for) is now notorious for all the problems associated with a high population of third-world immigrants and the local poor. Incidentally, the Holland Park end of the Notting Hill area, and the Canonbury bit of Islington are two of the few attractive Inner London areas which aren't almost entirely brick or stucco terraces.

Foreign tourists sometimes think Hampstead is as you describe: but a hip bar there is something that's part of a hip replacement. I believe someone under 50 was once spotted there, and they're still talking about it.

"Trendy" (a word never used in British unless you really want to signal you're not) locations move around, but are, almost by definition, incompatible with beautiful homes. Brixton and Hoxton are, or were last time I checked, hip-ish. But they'll stopping being that the moment the first "cute" shop opens.

Chelsea is close to what you're looking for. It's been fashionable for 50 years, and is stuffed with shops that'd be closed down the moment the Revolution struck. But 'hip' it isn't, and it's really only affordable for the sort of young professionals doing a bit of light investment banking while waiting for Daddy to pop off and leave them the other few hundred million.

Stoke Newington is up and coming, and has some good restaurants. But the incomers are still outnumbered by the old inhabitants and the people in housing estates ('projects' to transatlantics), so it feels a lot less like a gated community than the place you're describing.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:03 AM

Oh dear. Premature "post" clicking again.

Obvious mistypes aside, the bit in para 3 should go "[terraces are]... the most aesthetically satisfying urban living machines ever invented".

They make dreadful jiving machines (walls are so thin you wake the neighbours, and the structure so jerry-built a good bop can bring the ceiling down).
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:19 AM

Just wondering does CotswoldScouser = flanneruk, the style of writing is very similar and highly entertaining
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:26 AM

Londonengland:

Shhh... Or you'll get Flanneruk (whatever did happen to him?) suing me for plagiarism.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:31 AM

lesm - in answer to your question there really is nothing identical to Lincoln Park. You will notice London areas are much more fluid - one side of the street can be beautiful the other a council estate (housing project). I suppose Hoxton would be the nearest to hip and trendy with bars. "Cute" shopping - do you mean independent unusual retailers? I suppose as CotswoldScouser says you should check out Chelsea. Beautiful homes could be anywhere and London real estate is far too expensive for most young professionals so they end up in studios in Putney, Fulham or anywhere clinging a river position and accessibility to a tapas bar
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:37 AM

that's as good an overview as you're ever likely to read. Bravo CotswoldScouser...

and from my 271 bus in the mornings, i do wistfully look at those Canonbury houses.....

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:04 AM

I wasn't hip and trendy when I was of an age to be (I can actually remember the 1960s), but I'm reasonably sure that as soon as anywhere's recognised to be either of those, it isn't any more. Especially in modern London.

Besides, there's a distinct element of valuing 'edge', even downright scruffiness, as part of the mix, hence Brixton, Hoxton and so on. You won't get all of the components you list.

Nearest you, Chelsea (try Wilton St) will have some of the elements that I think you mean, top end of Sloane St for even posher. But these are exceptionally comfortable and well-heeled, as CotswoldScouser (now there's a mix) suggests.

You might get a bit closer to what I understand by edgy-hip around Spitalfields on a Sunday, but it's a victim of its own popularity. Not quite Covent Garden yet, but it may be soon.

Hoxton and Brixton I don't know well enough to comment on. You could try Time Out for what's happening at any given moment.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:52 AM

"hip and trendy" mean different things to different people. so if we want to consider "hip and trendy like lincoln park" we must exclude places like brixton, hoxton, etc. these places are traditionally considered the happening places in london but are very unlike lincoln park.

so for trendy "like lincoln park" i would say you are moving up to islington and the like. even islington is more grubby as compared to LP and, as pointed out, many to most of the people out and about are from other areas in london so it doesn't have the neighbourhoody feel of LP. there is also a mix of some of london's less desireable "partiers"...football lads and the like.

lincoln park is more of a white yuppy place so i think that the suggestion of chelsea is OK (keep in mind that nobody would consider this area "trendy" in the traditional sense).

your own area of kensington is very un-trendy...however, because it is more american, you will get yuppy couples stopping to pick up a latte after jogging around the neighbourhood with the £500 baby jogger. probably something familiar from lincoln park. chelsea has this element to a lesser extent. Hampstead also. Few areas around london have this feel and, as mentioned, most areas described as "trendy" in london will not have the feel of LP.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:06 AM

"Just wondering does CotswoldScouser = flanneruk, the style of writing is very similar and highly entertaining"

Londonengland...like you couldn't tell. You can always count on the man himself for informative and amusing commentaries/observations, mixed with a healthy dose of sarcasm and a sense of humour to match. I enjoy and look forward to his posts (...get that, Cots ?)
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:40 AM

The point is that "hip and trendy" people don't really live in "hip and trendy places". Mick Jagger used to live in Richmond, and for quite awhile has resided in Claridge's in Mayfair. Also, virtually every A-lister (has or currently) "hangs out" in Claridge's, even Kate Moss who is probably uber cool in some people's eyes as is her ex Pete Doherty. They merely "work" in Hoxton but will play in Mayfair or reside in Primrose Hill (again, far from trendy) or some country estate.

Notting Hill is possibly trendy, but London isn't about trendy. In fact trendy itself is a concept invented by people who try so hard to be cool that they end up as trendy as can be which is the same as naff...they've come full circle.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:54 AM

Ummm...sorry guys, I love all who post here, but there are DEFINATELY hip and trendy areas of London...jeesh, some of the best nightlife and trends come from the city.

First off, Notting Hill is very "cutesy," even as a guy I love it there. Definite must.

Then you have the area off of the Green Park tube stop and Piccadilly. The young professional crowd hangs around the old Shephards Market (not shephards bush...totally different and west of Kensington and Notting Hill) area. The streets are overflowed from the restaurants at happy hour time. You can get off the Piccadilly Circus stop or Green Park, both eastward from Kensington (about 15 minutes).

You sound about my type as for "trend" and if you like Chicago or Lower Manhattan, YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Covenant Garden/SOHO combo area, both easy walks from Greenpark (in fact, they are 15-20min apart by walking. THE TRENDIEST YOUNG PROFESSIONAL SHOPS are here. No big homes, but think boutiques and big name young professional hip clothing and pubs. Just like most cities, young students and the gay population reinvigorated this former dump.

A bit more seedy, but up and coming, is an area just north of Covent Garden (shoot forget the name...but you can ask any young person) Much like Tribeca, Chelsea, and Alphabet City/Stuy Town in NYC before they became UBER HIP.

At night, Farringdon boasts one of the most famous and hip nightspots in the world...FABRIC. Farringdon is the old warehouse/meatpacking/slaughterhouse district, much like the lower west side of Manhattan.

One of my best friends lives in London (she is in the MFA program at Slade) and basically does everything you mentioned on a daily basis. I can ask her for more detailed info if you would like.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:56 AM

Just wanted to apologize....for some reason my post from yesterday showed up today...so it was pre-posted before some of the responses.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:58 AM

Just remembered the seedy area with cool little shops and food...and IT IS SEEDY if you go late night...but it is CAMDEN TOWN. North of Farrigdon.

Awesome little places for day time lunching.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:05 AM

pmgoosed - Shepherds Market is just full of prostitutes and strip clubs, and hey whats wrong with Shepherds Bush (or The Bush as us locals call it) - I work in Shoreditch, frighteningly trendy round here.....
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:13 AM

Ummm....nope, never saw a prostitute. I did see thousands of hip young professionals boozing...at a close friends pub. I did see people spending big bucks.

I did see the trendy discussing politics, life, and sex.

Shoot...if that's how hookers look these days...then the men and women are VERY SMART and TRENDY HOOKERS.

Rolling my eyes.

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:14 AM

Oh....and nothing is wrong with the BUSH...but if you knew what Lincoln Park is like....IT IS NO BUSH! The poster wanted something like Lincoln Park.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:18 AM

mate - Shepherds Market is a well know prosititute pick area (not from personal experience i quickly add!)
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:20 AM

pm...no offense but locals in any city will have a different idea of what is "hip and trendy" as opposed to tourists. someone who visits NYC from kansas will probably think most of NYC is trendy as everything is new and different. anyway, as long as you feel "hip and trendy", that's all that matters. as i said before, everyone has a different idea of it so it is hardly worth arguing about here.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:24 AM

You know, I post on numerous boards and I dont think a post has angered me as much as your rant. Here we are trying to help someone and you flat out made up a bullfeather lie.

For petessake, here is write up featured two years ago (I keep extensive write ups considering my food/nightclub/bar ownership interests) about Shephards Market.

"Shepherd's Market - sheltered enclave in Mayfair, just north of Piccadilly - great for a summer's evening. Currently under development so we can't predict what will happen to the area." --TIME OUT LONDON, which, btw, is the bible for hip and trendy.

LESM, not sure if anyone mentined Hamstead either...the rich and famous often go here (models, singers (Sting), etc.) BIG BUCKS HOWEVER

I also remember HOXTETH being hip lounge/trendy bistro type of an area. UGLY AS SIN...but the stores themselves were cool.

OH...and Mayfair, next to Piccadilly, Green Park, and Shephards Market...is also pretty cool. All can be walked from one another. Mayfair has always been a place for the rich and famous. Oxford and the famed "BOND STREET" cut through Mayfair.

And just to finish my point...that our friend gave falso info...this comes straight from a friend who works for the national toursim center:

"Shephards market is between Piccadilly and Curzon Street, named after Edward Shepherd, who built it in the mid-18th century. Today, it is a pedestrianized enclave of small shops, pubs, restaurants and out-door cafés, and held the reputation as the haunt of high-class prostitutes, allegedly."

So my friend...unless you're from the era of Jack the Ripper...your info is about 150 years old.

Sorry for the rant folks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -