Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip Report to Central Europe over Holiday Season

Feb 5th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

December 2018 we took our first trip to Europe, visiting Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Salzburg, Bratislava, Vienna, and Budapest. We'd been meaning to come to this area for a while, but some other trip always took precedence. Despite the cold (it was in the 20s and 30s pretty much the whole trip) we had a great time, and really enjoyed all of the Christmas markets and the general holiday happiness that abounded. We also saw a ton of stuff, squeezing in close to the absolute max for the amount of days we were in each city. I'd really recommend this part of the world to anyone looking to do a trip over the holidays.

Trip report with full-size photos and videos can be found here: http://justinandcrystal.com/CentralEurope/index.htm

Last edited by mistadobalina; Feb 5th, 2019 at 07:53 AM.
Feb 5th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Really enjoyed your blog and photos
Feb 5th, 2019, 02:26 PM

Vienna looks really beautiful...well, they all look great. Your pictures are fantastic.

Just marking here for reference.
Feb 16th, 2019, 04:12 AM

Great trip report and pictures! You sure fit alot into your days in each city.
I agree with you on wanting to head back to Budapest, we've enjoyed our visits.

If you ever want to go back to Momento Park, you can take the subway from the Central Market, transfer to a bus, and then you are there. That way you can take your time. Neat picture spot if you catch it on a nice day.

Thanks for posting.
Feb 17th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

You’re correct about that bus - there’s one a day going out there, mid-morning I believe. If we weren’t seeing so much other stuff, we could’ve planned around that.

i know what you mean about it being photogenic. Lots of blue sky, at least when we were there.
Feb 18th, 2019, 12:56 AM

Mistadobalina- Ah, understand the bus. We visited the statues in September, when you had more options.

Thanks again, enjoyed a couple of couple of coffee's over your write-up. Good tips sprinkled throughout.

In Salzburg, you posted a menuboard on the side of a Christmas-market stall, listing all the punches, gluhwein, etc. Were all the fruit punches alcoholic? I've only had gluhwein, those punches look pretty interesting, and good at keeping the chill away.
Feb 18th, 2019, 02:47 AM
Fodors Moderator

Per the posting guidelines, please insert your entire trip report rather than just posting a link to your blog.

"Fully detailed trip reports, and the discussions they create, are a valued part of Fodors; trip reports that are simply links to other websites are not. If you decide to make a trip report, please post it in its entirety as a new forum thread. If you wish to add a link to your report, in addition, that is ok."