Trip report Slovenia & Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toured Slovenia and Croatia with Adventures Abroad, a small tour group.
Arrived in Lubljana on 5-27. Stayed at Hotel Lev. Great hotel close to the market and the three bridges. The market was fantastic, such a variety of fruits and veggies. A couple of vendors even had barrels of sauerkraut.
On to Bled, Hotel Golf. Excellent views of the lake from my room. Hotel about a block from the lake. Excellent breakfast in hotel.
Took drive to Lake Bohinj and up the cable car on Mt. Vogel for views of Mt. Triglav and surroundings. Beautiful views.
Back in Bled took the boat out to the church on the island. You made a wish and then rang the bell in the church for the wish to come true. It was not easy. But the whole time you are on the island the bells are ringing.
Crossed the high passes in the Julien Alps, Spectacular scenery.
If you visit you must see one of the caves. We visited Postojna and it was fascinating.
Stopped at Lipica to see the famous Lipizzaner horses but it was raining and the mothers and babies were not out.
Onto Rovinj Croatia. Park Hotel, right on the water. Nice Hotel. About a 15 minute walk into town.
By the way I have not mentioned the Ice cream(gelato). It is sold everywhere and very inexpensive. A one scoop cone costs about 50-60 cents in US dollars. So naturally I had to have it every day!!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Part 2
Visited Pula to see the old roman amphitheater and temples.
Stayed the night in Rijeka, Hotel Bonavia. Excellent 4 star hotel a block from the pedestrian shopping street.
Next was Plitvice Lakes. The road leading to the park is almost exactly how it was left after the war. For miles you see houses full of bullet holes and shelled out houses. This was the only place we did see any evidence of the war. Every other place was rebuilt.
The park is magical. It was raining but I still walked the lower lakes in the afternoon and the upper lakes the next morning. Because of the rain the water was really rushing under the walkways and was slightly scary because the walkways were so wet.
Saw the cities of Zadar and Split but they were not my favorite. On the way to Split stopped at Trogir and explored it awhile. It was a lovely town.
I ate a whole lot of pizza on this trip.
It was inexpensive and some of the best I have ever had. Even better than Italy.
Stayed in Hvar at the Hotel Adriatic.
Great hotel in the heart of town.
Walked up to the castle above the town for some great views.
All the stairs in these small towns killed me but it made up for all the food I ate.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Airlawgirl

MarthaT- I read your post with interest, as I want to get to Slovenia, and Bled particularly, as a friend stayed there and had much praise for it and the Lake area. I understand there are thermal springs that feed into some of the hotels lakeside? And how about the restaurant scene in Slovenia?

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

One more part so I won't bore you.
Next was Korcula. I loved this city.
Hotel Liburnia, a 15 min walk into town was very nice but the staff was rude as can be.
Took the Marco Polo ferry between Hvar and Korcula. Something like a small cruise ship with cabins and lounges and restaurants.
Finally Dubrovnik. Walked the walls on arrival mid afternoon and was it hot!!!
A great way to see the city and all the new roofs.
Of course, I followed up the walk with what else, but more ice cream.
Slovenia and Croatia are must see's.
They are very beautiful countries and the people are warm and friendly. they also speak english very well so there is no language problem.
For all you Lush fans there is a store in Lubljana and Dubrovnik.
Hope this helps people thinking of traveling to these countries.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Airlawgirl
Meals were fresh fish on the coast and meat and potatoes elsewhere. The lamb is great. And the grilled calamari is great also.
I did not get to the thermal springs, not enough time, but I did see signs for them.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 01:52 PM

It sounds like you did the exact tour we want to. How much time did you have and how long were you in each town? Can you email me at [email protected] with info-I am busy planning for our trip in May 2005!
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:40 AM

Wow, it seems that many of us are interested in Slovenia and Croatia. My wife and I are in the planning stages for a June 2005 trip. Why did you choose this trip group rather than do it yourself?