European travel, what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 40 year old woman and planning my first trip to Europe and it will be solo. I'm a bit apprehensive but I also know I will likely never have the time or money to go to Europe again so I am looking to go in September. I want to see everything, which I know is probably unrealistic given my budget, but I don't know what are the must-see cities and sights (note: I'm not interested much in nightlife or partying, if that helps). I am hoping to balance stays in hotels with some nights in hostels (as I don't think I will be able to afford hotels each night for weeks). Any and all suggestions are welcome!! Thanks!!!
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
740 million people and a cradle of civilisation ...

Hi Madison, welcome to Fodors. Good time to come when the weather is still ok and people are back at work. What do you enjoy doing at home? We could point you at some ancient stonework, but if you love white water rafting you may be bored.
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Sorry - but you really need to give us way more information:

How much time do you have for this trip?

Which places (cities or sights) speak to you most?

What are you interested in seeing/doing? When I go I want to see every museum, cathedral, castle/palace and historic sight. Some people like nature more - hiking or biking? Some people want to shop til they drop and try all the local foods. Some people just want to sit on a bus - or in a cafe - and watch the world go by. Do you like beaches? mountains? lakes? big cities? small towns?

Some clue as to your budget (and if this includes airfare or not, which will be your single greatest expense)?
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:43 AM

First, if you had years and years, you could not see even most of the great things in Europe, so do not even think in terms of seeing everything.

To give any meaningful help, people need help from you. "Must sees" depend on your interests.

Think about things, places, countries, cities, etc. that you may have dreamed of seeing for a long time. For some people it would be Paris, for others Pompeii or Rome, or hiking in the Swiss Alps, etc. Do you have a major interest in art, history, scenery, food, etc? You must have something in your head or heart to make you want to go to Europe. So, share it and give people something to work with in advising you.

Second.
How much money do you have allotted for this trip - total? Give dollar amounts. You will get more appropriate advice as to what you can do and see, and how best to go about it if there is a set budget. Don't say budget, inexpensive, moderate, etc. which all mean different things to different people. Some places are more expensive than others. You can adjust accordingly.

So, come back with three or four solid interests and a concrete budget, plus how much time you hope to have for the trip.
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:55 AM

Bring earplugs if staying in hostels- lots of teen school groups at times - look for private hostels that are more adult-oriented and may have private rooms. In Italy staying in convents is popular for single ladies.

Anyway yes too open-ended a question- and how long are you going for?

If on a budget avoid Scandinavia and Switzerland, the most expensive countries in Europe- Portugal, Spain, Greece and southern Europe tends to be a bit cheaper.

Going by train - hope so with a cheap flight or two mixed in. To cut accommodation costs and save daytime travel time take overnight trains - saves on a hostel or hotel for that night.

If traveling very much at all look at railpasses which in most countries but not all still let you hop on any train anytime (except Italy, France and Spain mainly -you have to make a seat reservation before boarding - usually easy enough to do.

for lots of great info on trains and passes, etc check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. For train schedules check www.bahn.de/en- German Railways all European schedule site for all European trains.
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:07 AM

Don't stay in a hostel. You're 40 years old and have earned the right to your very own room and bathroom. Depending on where you are going, hotels can be inexpensive. Air BnB or Couchsurfing is better than a hostel.

Anyhoo, you need to tel us how many days you have, where you are flying from, what you are interested in seeing, and what you don't want to see, because you won't be able to see it all.
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Actually, I always enjoyed staying in hostels, and I did so well after the age of 40. You have to do a little research, and avoid the party hostels and the ones used by adolescent school groups.

Madison, we really do need some more input from you. Amount of time you have, daily budget (not including airfare), what you really badly want to see, and what your main interests are. Also, time of the year would help.

It can be much cheaper to skip the major cities and stay in smaller towns, but some people can't bear to skip London, Paris, Venice, Florence, and Rome.
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:25 AM

Last I went into a hostel, I paid a lot, got hardly a welcoming glance, was given a very tiny room connected with the bar via an aeration piping. The bar was quite loud.
I also think I've earned the 'right' to hav confort - I slept in hostels when 20, no more, thanks.

As to what to see in Europe, what would you answer if I asked 'what is there to see in the US ?'

My guess would be : do some research !
Hint : as said, we are quite a few in Europe and we have some similtudes and some dissimilitudes.
We also speak different languages than English, just in case.
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:30 AM

<i>I also think I've earned the 'right' to hav confort - I slept in hostels when 20, no more, thanks.</i>

http://www.maniacworld.com/internet-bro-fist.jpg
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:31 AM

I also enjoy staying in hostels. Partly because they tend to be a little more accessible- they have group outings and walking tours, and those tend to be cheap because the target market is generally on a budget. And I think the type of destination matters more than the size of the city. I spend a lot less in a city with free museums than a resort town, because in a resort town, I'm probably skiing or taking a boat tour or something along those lines. Time of year matters too- I spend a lot less on food in August than December. So it's a matter of knowing yourself. Do you travel much in the states? You need to figure out what the minimum amount of time you need in a city. That's always four nights for me, and I usually need 5 because I spend the first day getting lost But I really love museums, and realistically, I just don't get through them very fast. I know people who are happy with 1-2 nights in each place.

Be sure to compare airfare and train fare- I'm finding that train fare is more than airfare on most of the longer trips. And I can't sleep on overnight trains or flights- so take that into account as well.
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:41 AM

Love the Bro fist!

Probably should mention for OP that I can sleep through just about anything, and I'm never in my hotel during the day. So hostels generally work. But if you enjoy sleeping in on vacation or help with your luggage or you're picky about a bathroom, then yeah, go with the hotel. Don't sacrifice little comforts in order to save money- there's a point where the trip becomes unfun when you do that, and that's usually the point I escape the hostel to stay at a swanky hotel for a night or two.
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:17 PM

I once spent a week in a hostel in the west of Ireland. I had been robbed in Dublin, and had to stay put for a week until my bank could wire me some money (before the days of ATMs). This was actually the first time I had stayed in a hostel, and I was 41 and traveling with my children. The necessity was forced on me by lack of funds. However, we had a wonderful time there. The hostel lounge was a gathering place for the local community in the evenings. Musicians stayed there when traveling around on gigs. A local fisherman stopped by every morning to see if any of the guests would like to buy part of his catch to cook in the communal kitchen. Guides stopped by to see if anyone was interested in speleological tours.

I made friends with the guy who ran the hostel (not the owner). He told me that he was leaving his job at the end of the summer, and that he could get me the job if I wanted it. I was very tempted to call my university and tell them I wouldn't be back in September. It was thinking of the winter storms blowing in from the Atlantic, and the four hours of daylight in December that discouraged me.

Anyway, that started my interest in hostels, and I often stayed in them after that. I lived in Princeton, and sometimes went to New York for the weekend, staying in one of several hostels in Manhattan. There were plenty of people my age staying in those hostels, and many of them were upper middle class. I met a lady who traveled to Manhattan several times a year to shop at Bergdorf Goodman, staying in a hostel to maximize the amount she could spend on clothing.

My husband isn't very interested in hostels, although I talked him into staying in one the last time we were in Ireland, and he quite enjoyed it. A few years ago we were in Scotland, and in Oban I saw a very nice hostel on the bay, but we had already booked a B&B. As I said, you have to do a bit of research to find the right one.
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fly to London and spend a few days there to accustom yourself to European life. Then fly to Rome and do the Rome, Venice & Florence triangle.

Have fun!

PS: Paris is overrated.
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:53 PM

Go to your local library and pick up guides to a number of countries, Say, the UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy and Spain to start. See what appeals to you. What are your top priorities? Build your itinerary around those priorities.

Staying in each place for a while will give you a chance to get to know it a bit. You'll have a better experience with fewer destinations and your budget will stretch father. Being in transit all the time is exhausting and expensive.

We all have our favorites as well as places that don't appeal to us. We loved Paris and will return again and again, whereas for Madrid, once was enough. So don't choose based on what other people tell you, only on what appeals to you when you read. look at photos.

Also, don't plan that this will be your only trip to Europe. If you get bitten by the travel bug, you will find ways to return.
Old May 16th, 2016, 12:59 PM

<<I am a 40 year old woman and planning my first trip to Europe and it will be solo. I'm a bit apprehensive but I also know I will likely never have the time or money to go to Europe again so I am looking to go in September. >>

Does this mean you're ditching the boyfriend you mentioned in a previous thread?

Why wouldn't you ever have the time or money to go again? It's not that far, it's not that expensive. Have some discipline - get some sort of reward credit card that gives you travel points or miles or similar so that you can buy the trip and comp it with your miles/points.

And for this question specifically:

What do you like?
What do you want from your trip (and if the answer is "memorable experiences" then try again)
What is your nightly lodging budget?
What cities/areas are particularly of interest?

Getting someone else's suggestions are worthless in a vacuum. If you don't like Brits (and life in London is not "European life"; it's London life), love you some idealized French culture 'coz you read all those Madeline books when you were small, and despise Italians (because of whatever da-n fool reason you'd have), kleeblatt's post is useless. Don't make everyone else shoot in the dark.
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:52 PM

Bvlenci- what a wonderful story! I would definitely be like the lady who stayed in the hostel to maximize her shopping money my relatives usually act like I'm making such a sacrifice when I stay at hostels but I don't think they'd think that if they saw my expenses for everything else lol.

To add to bigruss's bit about the trip not needing to be once in a life time- consider as well how much energy you have and how long you can truly go full throttle. 8-10 days is really my limit- if I do a trip longer than that, I have to build in resting days. So possibly consider slowing down and focusing on just one region or city, keeping in mind that you can go another place next year
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:11 PM

Agree with Marvelousmouse.
If you have the money to go for a long trip now, consider shortening this one and set some money aside for a second trip in a year or two. Nice plan to look forward to. Of course, we do not yet know how much time or money you have for this one.
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:17 PM

Before anything else, buy and read a good guidebook for first-time travelers to Europe. Nothing on line will give you as much necessary information.

Many first-time travelers l
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

The boyfriend has decided not to come since he can only get a few days off of work. The reason why I say I likely won't have the time or money again is because I am coming into a little money and not currently working since losing my job due to downsizing. I'd rather spend a few weeks or a month travelling to a few destinations in Europe now rather than trying to fly back for a few days every year when I start working again, plus, once I start working, since I am in a lot of student loan debt and jobs in my field pay half of what they did a few years ago, I don't see me realistically having the time or money to try again for years to come.

I've always wanted to visit Germany for the castles, beauty, etc. I'm on the fence about Paris as some people have told me they loved it and others hated it, saying the people really were all rude and crowds were ridiculous. I'd love to see museums and architecture in Italy, though I have people trying to discourage me from Italy because they were robbed there. The Greek Isles seem tempting since they are so beautiful. Anyway, I'd love to see art, sights, nature, and can say I'm not concerned about shopping, other than the occasional locally made souvenir, and not interested in food as I have a terribly sensitive stomach and have to stick to things like bread and pasta.

As for time, I am unlimited as I don't plan on job hunting until I return and besides airfare I am hoping that a budget of maybe $5000 USD might be able to stretch for a month.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Old May 16th, 2016, 05:42 PM

I love Paris and Italy but that is me.

I have met lovely Parisians, have avoided (or dealt with) the crowds as much as possible and have never been robbed in Italy. I have been robbed where I live in the US (pick pocketed and house broken into) and feel just as safe in Europe as I do at home. But, again that is my experience. You have to decide which places most interest you.

Are you planning on traveling independently or with a tour? Most people on this forum travel independently but some first timers, especially traveling by themselves, like the idea of a tour where you will will meet travel companions and won't have to deal with finding hotels, figuring out which sights to see, etc. For example, Rick Steves has a 3 week "Best of Europe" tour for about $5000 but it does not include airfare. Trafalgar tours also has a "Traditional Tour" trip for about the same price. I am not certain if that includes airfare. There are shorter trips that cost less and others that focus more on one or two countries. There are many other tour groups as well, I just picked two I have heard of and checked their websites.

I would first give thought as to what type of travel would work best for you and where you would most like to go. Your local library or bookstore should have many travel books and should help you narrow down which places interest you most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -