Search

Last night in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night in Rome

Hello again,

well we have confirmed most of our trip to AC and have taken a lot of everyone's advise. We are travelling back to Rome on the 14th of October and was wondering if it's best to stay by the airport or if there are any last night hotel recommendation other than near the airport that isn't to far away for the next morning flight.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would stay in the city and enjoy your last night. You can take the express train or a taxi to the airport.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
what time is your flight?

if it were very early in the morning I might suggest staying at the airport [or at Ostia Antica which is not far away from the airport] but otherwise I agree with Jean.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Your flight time was also my first question! If it's something like 8am, I'd probably stay near the airport, but last May we had an 11:20am flight and were just fine staying in the city. We booked a car through Rome Shuttle Limousine; they picked us up on time at our hotel in the Campo dei Fiori area and took us to the airport. Easy.

Note: I found the security process at Fiumicino to be the longest and most complicated process I've experienced (not that I've been everywhere, but still). Allow plenty of time wherever you stay.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 12:16 PM

I've had a 7:30a flight and still stayed in the city the night before. For me, staying at/near the airport is a downer at the end of a (hopefully) wonderful trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 01:19 PM

Staying in the city you get up one hour earlier if taking a cab, so it's advisable. Plan on spending up to about €60 f if the hotel arranges one, from a taxi rank in central Rome it's €48.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 02:17 PM

Our car service was €45, for what it's worth, and prebooked online (low stress).

Jean, I totally agree with you that an airport hotel would be a downer... but for me, getting up at 4am-ish to make that flight would be a bigger one! Ha! But then, I am far from a morning person.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 03:19 PM

I'm no morning person either, but I'm even less of an airport hotel person.

Different strokes...
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 04:52 PM

We went to the AC last year and spend our last afternoon and night in central Rome. We stayed at Albergo del Senato right next to the Pantheon. We visited Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in the late afternoon. The roof top bar at AdS is wonderful with great views of Rome rooftops and the Pantheon.

When we awoke the next day, the plaza in front of the Pantheon was deserted. Since it is usually mobbed, it was unique to see it with no one around. If you have time, get one last espresso at Tazza d'Oro...also empty in the morning.

We had a car pick us up at 8:30am on a Monday morning and still made it to the airport in no time. Not sure what time your flight is but stay in Rome and squeeze every last drop out.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What day are you leaving?

We left Rome on a Sunday morning, no traffic, at made it to Fiumicino in 20 minutes.

We were so early, we had nothing to do because even the coffee bars weren't open.

When one did open, it was mass chaos.

Romans order coffee the way they drive.

If you stay near Termini you can take the Leonardo Express right to Fiumicino.

Thin
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 05:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
For me it would depend entirely on what time in the morning. I hate to get up early so, if an early flight, I'd stay near the airport, maybe come into town for the evening. If late morning I like to stay walking distance but not too close to Termini & the Leonardo Express train. I know a good inexpensive place if inexpensive is what you want.
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 06:55 PM

We always use Rome Shuttle Limousine when flying out of FCO. Years ago, we must have had some crack of dawn flight, and were probably coming from the Val d'Orcia, so spent the day there, and slept at the FCO Hilton. It wasn't bad. If I've been on the go and have had a great vacation, and then an early morning flight, I don't mind an airport hotel. Except maybe at CDG.

If you had a day or most of one, and wanted something different, I have looked at beach hotels very close to FCO; never went with one, though.