I got so much great information from these forums before my trip to Portugal this past February that I (finally) wanted to post a trip report in case our experiences can be of help to someone else. Our trip itinerary was:
Sat: Arrive in Lisbon
Sun: Day trip to Batalha
Mon: Bus to Evora
Wed: Train to Sintra
Thurs: Sintra, evening train to Lisbon
When we arrived in Lisbon on Saturday, we checked into our hotel, Solar do Castelo, which was right by the Castelo Sao Jorge. They let us check in early, which was much appreciated. Our room was about the size I would expect for a European hotel and had a very nice bathroom. The window overlooked the castle walls, and several peacocks and peahens were out walking along the wall. The neighborhood was very quaint.
We did have a little trouble finding a decent restaurant for lunch. We were pretty hungry, and there wasn't a lot of choice in the immediate area. We ate at a little place that was full of tourists and had pretty gross food, but when you're tired and hungry, you tend to take what's available rather than wandering for something better.
In the afternoon we wanted to do something to shake off the jet lag and keep ourselves awake, so we took a motorcycle tour with Bike My Side, bikemyside.com. Daniel, our guide, was great--very knowledgeable and a safe driver. My friend and I took turns sitting on the back seat and in the sidecar. Daniel took us all over Lisbon, even out to the Jeronimos monastery area, so we got a great overview of the city on our first day.
More to follow!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First time in Spain - family of 2 adults & one child(10 yr old)
- 2 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 3 South of London in March, ancient trees and Daffodils?
- 4 Sleep at Heathrow
- 5 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 6 15 days honeymoon trip to Europe in February end and March
- 7 Keukenhaf
- 8 Netherlands- Texel
- 9 Netherlands, Brussels and possibly Luxembourg
- 10 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 11 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 12 9 day trip to France
- 13 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 14 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 15 England
- 16 Annecy or Talloires or other?
- 17 Santa Maria Novella products??
- 18 Waze Navigation in Iteland? Or other?
- 19 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 20 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 21 Once upon a time in Italy
- 22 2 week May trip with kids
- 23 Which Aran Island??
- 24 Serious fire at Cameron House Hotel, Loch Lomond
- 25 CULINARY EXPLORING IN MADRID, SEVILLA, GAUCIN AND MALAGA