Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trip Report Part 2-Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trip-report-part-2-florence-381985/)

Sondra2003 Dec 12th, 2003 07:43 AM

Trip Report Part 2-Florence

Following Venice we headed for the magical city of Florence. We decided to stay in a budget hotel the Johanna-www.johanna.com for 75 a night. It was a fine hotel that I would recommend for anyone who wants to cut costs. I would stay here again. Our room was large,with its own bathroom, king bed, and included shampoos etc..

After settling in we headed to see David at the Accedemia. Wow!! No lines to get in, no need for reservations in November. David was magnificant in person and the rest of the museum has other fabulous paintings and sculptures. We had a nice dinner and went to back to the hotel.

After wonderful local pasteries and coffee we went to the Uffizi, again no reservations needed. Another wow, even my husband was impressed by the building, art and amazing taste of the Medici family. We then head to take a look at the Arno and the Piazza della Signoria. We then went to Palazzo Vechio which is a great palace that was part of the Medici family. Another amazing sight-I began to really to take an interest in this family with such great power and taste.

After a great lunch we picked up our train tickets for Pisa and for Rome at the American Express office. We then headed for the Duomo. It is very interesting and amazing form the outside. The inside is a little disapointing, but still a must (its free too). We decided to climb the bell tower. I made it 3/4 of the way and my husband went to the top. I was tired and I get dizzy on those spiral staircases. The views are wonderful!!We keep going and went to our last stop of the day Duomo Musuem with the original Ghiberti's doors,and Michelangelo's Pieta. We were all done for today.......
Today we went to the Pitti Palace and Bobili Gardens. My favorite palace I've ever seen. Great architecture, furniture, paintings, and gardens. Very impressive!!For me a must and great views of Florence. We took some sandwiches and headed off to Pisa by train. It took about 1 1/2 hours and quicker on the way home, amore direct train. Take the local bus to the tower do not try to walk. Ok, the tower is leaning and it is interesting. Kind of a nice break from the art and stimulation of Florence. Go into the church too, it is interesting. Another busy day!

Today, we took took a rapido bus to Sienna and we had our first rainy day. Sienna was still wonderful and I called it the "carmel" of Tuscany. Californians will know-great scenary, food and shops! I'm so glad we went. I think I will have to return for a longer visit to Tuscany. We did see the Bapistry and church (a must!!) and ate in Il Campo. The rain had stopped and on the way home we could see the lovely hills. The leaves were changing and it reminded me of Napa/Sonoma.
We arrived in Florence with enough time to see Santa Maria Novella Church-not as good as the Duomo in Sienna. Lastly, we went to the church if San Croce, I recommend this church, there are many famous people buried here and church is lovely. Before dinner we just shopped and hung out in Piazza della Signoria and admired the art. That's what Florence is about!!

This morning it was time to head for Rome. Florence was our favorite city and 4 nights we squeezed in a lot, we will have to return to Tuscany. We did go to a small flea market in the morning which I bought some old travel covers of Tuscany and Venice that I can frame at home. By the way, I do keep a journal of my travels so I can remember all of these days. Off to Roma in part 3!!

aj Dec 12th, 2003 09:03 AM

Thanks for the information. We will be in Florence this May. Can you give me more information about picking up your train tickets at the American Express office. It that a good place to purchase them?

bugswife1 Dec 12th, 2003 09:15 AM

Michelangelo's Pieta is in the Vatican in Rome. Are you sure it wasn't a different sculpture you saw in Florence?

Nikki Dec 12th, 2003 09:31 AM

bugswife1, there is a different Pieta in Florence, at the Duomo museum. Also by Michelangelo, although if I remember correctly it may have been finished by his students.

Statia Dec 13th, 2003 06:48 AM

Sondra, thanks for walking me back thru Florence! Lovely report.

AJ, you can also purchase Eurostar tickets in Florence at the Eurostar Club, located down track 16 at the train station. We found it very easy to purchase ours there.

I think you're right, Nikki...that particular Pieta was finished by his student, after Michaelangelo initially broke it in the heat of anger.