Notices

Trip Report - Paris - 4/12 - 4/19/07

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report - Paris - 4/12 - 4/19/07

Hey all,

Just back from Paris and finally feeling like writing. First, the basics:

Arrived in Paris on 4/12/07, departed on 4/19/07.

Flew on American Airlines from Orlando, via Miami.

Stayed at Hotel Lenox Montparnasse on Rue Delambre in the 14th Arr.

Ate at the following restaurants: Wajda, Monsiuer Lapin, Le Petit Josselin (crepes), Chez Marcel and Le Bistrot du Dome.

Did not use a money belt or fanny pack and did not get pickpocketed.

Day One (4/12/07, 4th wedding anniversary): Arrived at CDG at around 9:30am. Went through customs and waited for bags before taking the Air France bus to Gare Montparnasse. Walked from bus stop to the hotel (5 minute walk). Checked in and upgraded to a junior suite on the 6th floor. Room cost us 190 Euros per night. Based on what I had heard about Parisian hotel rooms, I was pleased with our accomodations. Wife slept for about 1.5 hours while I laid on the bed. Sfter she woke up, we walked around the neighborhood for a little while, stopped at a grocery store and then returned to the room. Later we walked over to the Jardin de Luxembourg and sat for a few hours (we would go back 5 more times during our stay and I will say that this was my favorite part of the trip). At about 7:30 we headed over to Wadja for a nice dinner (84 euros, we each had an appetizer and main course and shared a bottle of wine). After dinner it was back to the hotel for some sleep.

Day Two (4/13/07): Got up early and walked to a Starbucks on Blvd. Montparnasse for coffee. Stopped at local boulangerie/patisserie for croissants and pain au chocolat (would do this every day of our trip). Walked down Blvd. St. Michel stopping at various shops including a Gap to buy some more short sleeve shirts as the weather was warmer than we expected. Ended up walking all the way the Galleries Lafayette (Blvd. Hausmann) as we had reservations for the free fashion show. Fashion show was fun and we shopped for a little while before catching the metro back to the hotel. After a short rest, we headed off to Monsiuer Lapin for dinner. Ate off of the fixed menu (45 euros per person). Each had an appetizer, entree and dessert (no wine tonight). This was the first time either of us had eaten rabbit and we were pleased. After dinner we walked back to the hotel and crashed.

I need to take a break now, so will post more at a later time...
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:08 PM

Good start and thank you very much! I'm so glad that someone else stays in the double digit arrondisements.

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:32 PM

What was the temperature like there during the day and at night? Curious because I am going mid May.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:37 PM

Good report and looking forward for more. My and husband and I are heading to Paris in three weeks and I can't wait.

How do you get tickets for the fashion show?

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
hdm

We'll be there mid-May as well. I'm very interested in the weather (temperatures). We don't get much in the way of spring here (for example, last week we had snow flurries and today it was close to being hot) and I'm a little concerned my clothes will be too summery.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Anybody's guess regarding the temperatures in May. In April, we have having June temperatures. So just about everybody is imagining that May will be miserable, as punishment.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM
hdm

Too hot or too cold? Rainy, usually?
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM

How far in advance did you request reservations for the fashion show? How long did it take to get a reply? Did you do it through e-mail? I ask because I sent an e-mail probably nearly a month ago and have not received any type of reply. I don't know if that means that there are no more openings or if they wait until the last minute to confirm. About how many people go to one of these things? Did you feel that it was "worth" your vacation time? (Sorry for the million questions)

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:12 PM

We will also be there mid to late May, and would like to know how what the temp. was now.

Kerouac -

Do you live in Paris? What have the temp been like this month? I'm starting to get worried since our apt. does not have A/C.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
As I said, we have been having June (and even July) weather this month. Some days got as high at 27°C. Over the past week, Paris has been hovering around 23-24°C.

In terms of summer, last July was very warm, and August was the coldest and most miserable August in northern France in the last 100 years.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Hey all,

Glad you like the report so far...

Danna, although we technically stayed in a double digit arrondisement, the hotel was actually right on the border of the 6th. Had very good access to 3 metro lines so it was very easy to get around the city.

Julzieluv, when we got there, temps were unusually warm highs in the upper 70's to low 80's with nighttime temps in the upper 50's. We had brought too many long sleeve shirts/sweaters hence the shopping trip to the Gap. Did not rain once the entire time we were there.

Cafegoddess/Mrkinddallas, we made the request for fashion show tickets via e-mail about 6 weeks prior to departure. It took about 2 weeks to get a response from the store via e-mail. About 100 persons attended and the show lasted about 30 minutes. My wife really enjoyed it, so I will say that it was time well spent.

More of the report later, when my 3 year-old is napping.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
tod

clemson91- Tell us about the restaurant Wadja. Is it near the Hotel Lennox, how did you come to choose it, what kind of food? Interested as I've never seen it mentioned.
Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:48 AM

Clemson91 -- your post caught my eye because we were in Paris at almost exactly the same time. We arrived the morning of the 13th and left on the 17th. A little bit shorter than your trip.

We stayed in the 14th as well, at the Best Western Nouvel Orleans on General Leclerc.

Wasn't the weather fabulous? My husband also ran out of short sleeved shirts due to the unusual weather -- but we weren't complaining!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Here's some more of the trip report:

Day 3 (4/14/07): Woke up late this morning, around 10:15am, but rushed to get ready and get out of the room. While my wife was getting ready, I walked down to the local Tabac and got a carnet of metro tickets. It was quite warm again on this day, I believe that that high was about 82 degrees. We rode the metro and arrived at the Louvre at about 11:45am. It is so huge!!!!! We didn't know where to start, so we wandered aimlessly as we became accustomed to the map. We ended up seeing Italian paintings (including the Mona Lisa), French paintings, the Napolean apartments and various other displays. By about 2:30pm, my wife was ready to go. We walked along the Seine and ended up on the left bank at Saint Chappelle to see the stained glass. After this, we walked over to Notre Dame. My wife said this was a moving experience for her as she is catholic. I thought it was a wonderful church but it didn't have the same effect on me. After about an hour, we started walking down Blvd. St Michel and ended up back at the Jardin du Luxembourg, where we sat for about 90 minutes, watching parisian life go by. After going back to the hotel, we decided to eat crepes for dinner at Le Petit Josselin on Rue Montparnasse. The crepes were tasty and dinner came to 33 euros (we each has a salad and a special crepe). By this time we were both exhausted and returned to the hotel for sleep.

Day 4 (4/15/07): Woke up late again this morning. We decided that we would take it kinda easy today, so our first stop was the zoo at the Jardin de Plantes. It was easy to reach after taking the metro to Gare Austerlitz. We walked around the zoo for a couple of hours and then stopped at a McDonalds because I had to see if the Big Macs were the same as in the states. They were!!!!! We then rode the metro back to the area of the hotel but decided to walk around the Montparnasse Cemetary before freshening up. The cemetary was interesting, but we only stayed for about 40 minutes. After a brief rest at the hotel, we departed via the metro for the Eiffel Tower. The lines weren't too long and after about 1 hour we were standing on top of the tower. It was very impressive to see the city from that height. We walked down the steps from the second level to the first level, but that's as far as the steps would take us. We then sat on a park bench at the base of the tower snapping some photos before taking the metro back to Montparnasse. Dinner tonight would consist of sandwiches and crepes (w/ nutella) from a street vendor. By now it was almost 10:00pm and time for bed (or at least a hot shower).

More to come soon...
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Just wondering if you had a lot of baggage with you for your walk from where the Air France shuttle dropped you off and your hotel. We are staying in that same area and are considering doing the same thing.