Our family 5 week adventure in Italy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have arrived in Rome, I though this day would never come. I have planned this trip for months, had so much advice, read many opinions and ideas, read reports on this site and there are many of you that have helped me along the way. To you, I say Thank-you, as I take you on our journey.
Just a recap, we are a family of four. Me, DH, DD (19) and DS (17). This is our first Italian adventure. We have 5 weeks, the kids are with us for 4. When they go home, we have a week on our own.
This is a celebration of our 20 year anniversary, a final family adventure (I think) with just the four of us, and DH turning 50 in a few weeks when we get to Paris. So, it's a big trip!
DH's parents are from Stromboli which we plan to go to, that will be interesting, that happens in a couple of weeks, but for now, our arrival in Rome..... Hope you don't mid if its long...
ROME:
We arrived tired, but excited! Our flight from Australia took 26 hours with a three hour stopover in Dubai. Long, but ok. Arrived in Rome at 1.30pm, after waiting at the baggage terminal for what seemed like an eternity, we were one bag down. It happened to be that of DD! Oh no anyone's but hers.... Apparently it was left behind in Dubai, we should have it the next day! Fingers crossed....My new saying for this trip and one which I have already used a few times, is "It is, what it is" ... Ive decided to take this philosophy, we are in Rome, we are on holidays and we are all together... It is what it is. I'm sure we will hear that saying few times over this trip.
Getting through to the taxi terminal was fun! So many 'genuine' drivers wanting to take us to our apartment. The cost ranged from 50 euros to 95! Thank god I had paid attention to posts here. We paid 48 euros which is the standard price. Tick for me by DH!
Our taxi waved through tiny cobble stone alleys, dodging people and bikes, How they maneuver their cars through the pedestrians is how can I say 'heartstopping! ' He stopped in front of these two beautiful wooden doors in a samll cobblestone street with so much charm and announced we were here... We had Arrived at our apartment Governo Vecchio . Great choice, central and in the hub of everything. I love it! perfect for us. We were met by our check in contact Alessandro, who I had pre arranged to meet a week before we arrived and again when we landed. If you're reading this KWREN, we didn't have to wait for him! Alessandro's grandmother owns the apartment. I had heard to be prepared for a long wait, but he was waiting for us when we arrived, showed us around the apartment and I think took a liking to DD! That twinkle in the eye, that confident lingering look was a dead give away. One that I have seen numerous times just in one day! DH is staying very close to her on the other had, DS has surprised us by telling us he wants to sit and just watch people, DD told us that's code for 'I just want to sit and watch all the beautiful girls!' I think this will be interesting...
Back to the apartment... What a great find! Perfect for us and charming. The beds are quite firm but ok. Has everything we need. Being above all the restaurants we can hear people singing, playing the clarinet and laughing! But that doesn't worry us, we are good sleepers.
Our first afternoon was just spent walking and taking in the sights and atmosphere. Just a note, definitely flat comfortable shoes required... The cobblestones will sort you out quick smart.... Found the Piazza Navona, ahhhhh, the people watching begins! We walked for a good hour, didnt get to anywhere specific but just took in the area. Wow, the traffic! All I can say is walk with confidence! We decided to take in an early dinner and rest up for a full day of exploring this beautiful city.
Dinner was at a small trattoria outside our apartment. Had a quick pasta and pizza. Funny thing was that we were feeling great despite our long flight, we were all suprised that we felt so good, but as soon as we sat down and ate, the adrenalin wore off very quickly and we all hit the wall. But before we retired for the evening, we had one more very important matter to attend to on our first night, and that was find a gelati! DS couldn't wait, I thought he was going to fall asleep right there at the table. We gave him the key to the apartment while we got our first gelati which I'm sure will be the first of many! Oh the flavours, the variety... The three of us finally chose what we wanted and walked back to the apartment. Lucky we had the spare key, DH was out cold on the couch! Exhausted, we all followed his lead....
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Here's the link to apartment for https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show...d_appartam=345 or http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...ome_Lazio.html
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Sounds like a great family trip. Lucky you. Looking forward to hearing more of this good report.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 12:46 AM

Great start...can't wait to hear more!!
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 05:32 AM

Looking forward to reading more!

A great gelato place not too far from your apartment is Gelateria del Teatro (Via di San Simone 70)
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
nice beginning, kcnewby! love the apartment.

How have you arranged the bedrooms between you [if you don't mind my asking?] - as I read it, the master has the twins and the great en-suite bathroom, the loft has a double and no en-suite.

there are some great restaurants [and nice window shopping] along the via coronari, which is not far from you, and in the area between the via del panico and the via dei banchi nuovi, plus some very interesting and useful shops too.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reading so far.
Eluckhardt - have tried that gelati and yes, it was good.
Annhig - the bedrooms work fine for us. The kids have the loft. One single bed for DD and double bed for DS. No en - suite for them , but they have some privacy if they need it and better still, so do we in our separate bedroom with the en- suite.
More on the apartment for those interested... I will describe it for you. On entering from the street, you are welcomed by two large wooden doors, ones that you see all over the area. Wow they are beautiful. For us, when we first saw it, the excitement builds...You walk down a long corridor and have a choice of the lift (very small and rickety), great for luggage, or as we have done each time, take the two flights of stairs to the apartment. Open the door and in the entrance, there is a master bedroom on the left, ample wardrobe space, double bed (two singles pushed together) with an en-suite. Washing machine in the cupboard, shower, sink and more cupboard space.. Here there are small winding stairs that go to a loft that is storage space. Back out the entrance we walk a few feet to the kitchen. Again small but here we have all that we need. Gas appliances, dishwasher, fridge(small, enough for those of you who cook to fit basic supplies) freezer and there are all the utensils you need and basics like sugar, salt oil etc. I strongly suspect everyone just leaves theses things as they move on.
Attached to the kitchen are some stairs that wind up, and that's where you get the second bedroom, As I said, one single, one double.
Now DS is 190.5cms and sleeps on an angle in the bed quite comfortably, DS is 175 cms and fine in the single so all good there... That was a concern of mine when we were booking all of our places.
From the kitchen the room opens up to the lounge/dining. Tv ( but all in Italian), DVD, 4 seat dining table and a side table with all the plates, cutlery and glasses etc you need.
The couches are not the most comfortable but after a long day out, I lhave leart to really appreciate them
Every room has air conditioning, which you will need. It gets hot at night. All rooms have windows that open onto the cobblestone streets. I will say again that if you are a light sleeper and don't want noise, you may not appreciate the singing, laughing and music you hear below. Personally, it's making me go to sleep with a smile on my face...
The apartment is older, charectaristic, clean, has modern touches, charming, perfect atmosphere. We love it, I would highly recommend to anyone.
I know when I was looking for an apartment, this sort of description helped me as I was overwhelmed with the choices, so if it helps anyone else, that great.
And did I mention, it's a perfect area? Let me say again... PERFECT!
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

What I didnt say in my opening post, the places we will be visiting on this journey and itnery are:
Rome 5 nights
Sicily (Taormina) 3 nights- a specific 3 day trip to see my husbands mother island where she was born. It is a side trip which we will explore better next time but we were here so why not!
Vico Equense - 5 nights to visit all the Amalfi coast and surrounds
Greve (Tuscany) - 4 nights
Cinque Terre - three nights
Venice 3 nights ( this is where the kids fly home)
Bellagio - 2 nights
Lyon 1 night
Paris 3 nights
We will have a car upon return from Sicily, we have done the Peugeot car leasing program. We will drop in Lyon and catch fast train to Paris. With fees included, this was a cheaper option than renting a car.
I will post more on what we have been up to soon....
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Great beginning! I love family trip reports!
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Oh my aching feet!
We have seen so much in the last few days but there is so much more to see.
The first day we picked up a pastry at Il Fornaio bakery around the corner from us, sat and had a coffee in the Campo Fiori market area. We wanted to get our bearings so we did the Christiana hop on hop off bus which goes to all the main sites and does a circuit of the city. You are able to get on and off as many times as you like. We purchased the 48 hour ticket. Would I recommend this? Not sure, I think it's a good thing to do itf you're not confident catching other transport, if you are unable to walk, and walk and walk... The audio guide didn't work well, and the information wasn't that great. We didn't need the 48 hour pass but oh we'll, it is what it is We have found walking the best way.
We visited Capitoline Hill, the Spanish Steps, Borghese Gallery. We walked through the many small streets and looked in the boutiques which DD loved. We found a small supermarket near our apartment and bought cheeses, olives, salami etc and had this for dinner in the apartment, we were so tired, all of us fell into bed and slept very well. Oh I can't forget, we did have two gelatis today, one near the Piazza Vinezia which wasn't that great, can't remember the name, the other was at Blue Ice, near Campo De Fiori, this was good! We all had different flavours so we could try one and others. The taste sensations were incredible...
Day 2 we decided to try a cafe recommended to us by a local as DH wanted a really great coffee. It is called Cafe Camerino. Let me tell you, I would highly recommend this. It is It's on Largo Arenula, in front of Largo Argentina. And the price? Wow. For the four of us, we each had a pastry and coffee and it came to 7 euros! I asked the woman on the register if she made a mistake and she laughed at me! Definitely 7 euro. We stood at the counter as all the locals were doing and we felt very at home.
We did a tour of the Colusseum with 'Walks of Italy'. It was the dungeons and third tier tour. It went for 70 minutes and was really good. The guide was very informative and the gladiator stories kept DS (and DH) entertained. I bought the tickets on line and we walked past all the crowds and straight in, it was great. The tour included access to The Forum and Palatine Hill. We again walked all through the city, we visited the Cupachin Crypts which is quite a morbid amazing thing to see. The bones of four thousand monks artistically displayed is quite strange. We went to the Trevi fountain and watched some gypsy children trying to ask for money, I tried to keep track of them as I wanted to see some pick pocketing in action, no such luck, too busy. All the stories I had seen and heard regarding pick pockets in Rome proved to be a non event for us. Didn't see it, maybe they are that good, but not an issue for us. I have found the locals absolutely lovely and happy! No wonder, living in this amazing city.
The kids went out for the night on their own. I think so much time together, they needed to have time to themselves, but not before having our portraits cartoon caricatured by an artists in the Piazza Navona. We had the four of us done together. It's great. While sitting there I noticed all these men with hand bags come running past, pushing through the crowds we realized they are the police as they are illegal. Let me say, I have seen some good fake handbags in my time but these are rally bad! I can't believe people look at them. As soon as the police move away, the sellers are back.
I must also tell this story... While walking through the Piazza one early morning, DD really wanted to buy a painting from one of the artists who I must say had a beautiful painting, he had his signature on it and proved it by showing his identification. The painting was 120 euros but especially for her as she was pretty he dropped the price to 70 euro. This is without us asking. She had her money and was ready to part with it, I told her to think about it as he would be there every day! She agreed and we went off for the day. Later that afternoon we were there again and she noticed another seller with exactly the same painting that she saw earlier but with a different signature! Great lesson, another tick for mum
Day three we went to the Vatican. I hadn't bought tickets on line, I thought we could get them there. As we approached, there were so many people offering tickets and tours, they were everywhere. We had one very attractive woman come up to us with a tour offer to visit the Basillica. This tour would go for two hours and for the four of us would cost 170 euros. She was lovely and very convincing. I said I just wanted to look around first and come back if still interested, we decided to go in and take our chances. Funny thing is that when we went in, they had tours that were the same thing and cost us in total 65 euros. Thank god we thought about it. The guide told me they are illegal out the front. Live and learn. Our tour was so good. I'm so glad we did it, there are so many things you see that you really have no idea what your looking at. The stories and information we got were fascinating. I highly recommend you do a tour like this. If you take anything from this, dont buy them out the front! No matter how honest or nice the person looks.
One thing I did see that shocked me was a trio of men were standing by the holy water basin and splashed it all over their heads and each other as they were 'hot'! What is wrong with people!
Over the last few days we have also seen many small churches, and wondered into halls and museums. There is just so much to see.
Tonight we go to La Fiammetta trattoria, I will let you know how that goes. I have read so many reviews, I hope my expectations aren't too high. Better get ready otherwise I will never stop writing...
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM

kcnewby,

I love this trip report! You have me totally hooked. Don't get ready for dinner.....keep writing!

LisaG
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lisa, as I put all this info down, I have wondered if anyone cares
Everyone else's reports seem so. Much more fluid... Have you been to Rome before?

We've just come back from Fiammettas and the food was good. Had pasta to start with, we all had a different dish and they were all yummy! Carbonara, matriciana, eggplant and porchini. Excellent start. Then we got to the mains (we were all full already!) we had Saltimbocca, scaloppine x 2 and chicken with spinach and mozoralla. These too were really good. the thing that spoilt the night were the 5 different flowers sellers trying to sell roses as you were eating.
We have one night left here in Rome. Then on to Sicily.
Tomorrow we plan to window shop in the lovely boutiques and take it easy. But we are going for a gelati now!
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 01:08 PM

kcnewby,

Yes, we're all out here reading and enjoying. I love your TR...it's very cinematic and evocative. And personal! That's what I love to read.

Yes, we've been to Rome many times, and I love hearing others' experiences. It brings it all back to me, and also allows me to re-interpret ideas for our next trip.

Please do not take lack of specific responses as a sign that you are not being read and appreciated!

LisaG
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 02:41 PM

I am really enjoying your trip report! We go for our family trip next summer so i am keeping track of all you are telling us about. Thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
These too were really good. the thing that spoilt the night were the 5 different flowers sellers trying to sell roses as you were eating. >>

i know what you mean. showing no interest usually works, or a sharp "non".

they do have their uses though - when it rains, they suddenly transmogrify themselves into umbrella salesmen!
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Hi kcnewby
May i know did you finally find a hotel in or around CingTerre which has free parking?
We plan to go next summer driving from Milan to CT then to Tuscany but parking in CT seems to be difficult in July ?
Thanks
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 07:37 PM

Loan.
we turned our car in in Genoa. while in CT,(Parking is a nightmare) , as the train service between towns is frequent and quick. At the end of your stay. you can take the train and p/u another car.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,
LisaG, I can imagine how it would bring back memories, I'm sure this place is hard to forget when you've gone...
Willowjane - hope this helps you with your planning
Annhig - you were one person that helped me plan this trip, so let me now say thanks to you! The great thing is when we flew in it was raining but as soon as we settled into our apartment the sky turned blue and it remained everyday. It's been the best weather. Today as we prepare to leave, it's apparently going to rain! Great timing.
loan - yes we are staying in Levanto at Hotel Al Terra Di Mare, http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/al-t...i-mare.en.html. That's who I booked through. Actually most places I have booked through this site. I have found them really easy. Also, http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_...a_Liguria.html some more feedback. This was the most difficult area for me to find a hotel. I did book and cancel a couple of places before I booked this one so I hope it works out... There was something about it that I really liked. Oh well, it is what it is, I will let you know when we get there....
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

last day in wonderful Rome!
Last post I said we went to the Vatican , oops it was just St Peters Basislica, today we went to the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel. It's such a big day we decid to do it in two mornings. We got there at 10.30am and threre was a line that took approx 35mins to wait in, not bad, i had imagined worse. Yes, again there were sellers of tours walking the line, offering there tours. I lied and told them I had a tour booked, they just wouldn't leave us alone and rather than be rude I chose to lie
And again it was a lot cheaper for the tour in there but we chose not to do one, our entrance fee for the four of us we 48 ero, and we got an audio tour for me and DH for 7 euro each. The kids wouldnt have liked this, to tell you the truth DS and DD had had enough at this point, they really only wanted to see the Sistine Chapel. There is only so much art they can see and appreciate. It was hot and very crowded inside, and they were getting grumpy.
The audio guides were great for us, they tell you what you need to know. Asylu need it. You can skip what you want and do it in your own time. The crowded hot humid environment is exhausting. It a huge place and by the end we were all fading fast! Bring water!!
I have to say, I preferred the Bassilica, I really was glad I took the tour there, one hour is good. I am glad we didn't take the tour at the Vatican, but it's a personal choice.
We had a pizza for lunch outside our apartment, rested our aching feet and I took DD shopping in the charming Via Dei Coranari . It's a narrow cobblestone, charming street with a mix of expensive boutiques, jewellery stores, cheap shopping, antique stores, shoe shops etc etc. she got some really nice things. We went back to apartment for a quick nap and had a lovely dinner in another street close by, sorry cant recall the restaurant, but there was music and laughter as we celebrated our five nights in Rome! What a wonderful city! We will definitely be back, we each appreciated it in our own ways and are sad to go, but arrivederci to Rome and Ciao to Taormina.....
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:46 PM

Loving your report. It's been a few years since I've been to Roma and your adventures are bringing back a lot of fantastic memories. The way you write helps me envision all the wonders of Rome that I enjoyed during my visit. I am really wanting to have a tour of St. Peter's Basilica next time I'm there - so many moving sculptures and monuments. Thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -