Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trip Report on Family Trip to the Netherlands (part 2, hopefully)

Trip Report on Family Trip to the Netherlands (part 2, hopefully)

Sep 19th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Wendy

Trip Report on Family Trip to the Netherlands (part 2, hopefully)

We left Amsterdam on day 5 for Scheveningen with a stop in Leiden at the Windmill Museum.In Scheveningen we stayed at the Bali Hotel in a large room with a huge bathroom way up on the fourth floor (no elevators). The hotel is a little worn and a little exotic with an excellent Indonesian restaurant. After dinner at La Galleria Italian restaurant (which we enjoyed) we took the trolley to Madurodam. The miniature village is open until 10:00 in July so we had plenty of time to explore. Day 6 included a day trip to Delft where we visited a pottery factory and had more pancakes on a floating cafe, and a wonderful stroll at Kinderdijk where you can see 19 working windmills more or less in a row.That night we indulged our ner addiction to rijsttafels at the Hotel Bali restaurant. Day 7 we spent the day at the Delta Expo before continuing on to Breda where we spent the night. The Delta Expo is a facinating area describing the building of storm surge barriers. It includes a boat ride, a water playground,museum displays and you can actually go inside one of the storm surge barrier buildings. Our hotel in Breda was the Hotel de Klok. Both the hotel and their restaurant were very nice. It wasn't mentioned in any of the guide books however, that the hotel is located in a pedestrian only zone. A very helpful young woman hopped in our car and showed us the public parking lot and how to get to the hotel , a few blocks away. It pays to listen to this forum and make sure you pack light! Day 8 was for our kids and we spent it at the Dutch amusement park De Efteling. No other tourists in sight, we spent the day aware that the smiles and laughter of children are a universal language.

Sep 19th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Steve Mueller

Wendy: I was happy to see that you were finally able to get your message posted. Your report reminded me of traveling in the Netherlands two years ago, and has gotten me more fired up about our upcoming trip. Sounds like you had a great time.

Maybe you can answer a couple of questions. We are planning to visit Delft and Leiden in late October. Was the Leiden windmill museum you referred to the Molen de Valk? If so, how did you like it. In Delft, we are planning to visit the De Porcelain Fles pottery factory. Is this the factory that you visited? Did you visit Kinderdijk in a car, or did you use the train?

Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 19th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Wendy

Steve,
I am jealous of your upcoming trip! Have a wonderful time. Yes, the museum in Leiden is the Molen de Valk. We thought it was very interesting. You can climb up the ladder-like stairs to all 6 or 7 floors of the windmill. In addition to seeing the parts of the mill up close, several floors have displays that explain the structure and design of different kinds of windmills. There is also a good view of Leiden from the top.
We also enjoyed the De Porcelain Fles. A self guided tour takes you through various rooms with displays of their many different porcelain objects in addition to the famous Delft Blue. When we were there two artists were completing work on a life size replica of "The Night Watch" on tiles in Delft Blue. You also enter a work area where you can see the steps in the process of making the pottery. The factory doesn't take more than an hour but it was worthwhile. Delft itself was a lovely town to walk around. We drove to Kinderdijk so I can't help you there if you are wondering about getting there by train. We did find that you can get most any place in Holland by train or combination train and bus. I hope this answers your questions. Happy trip planning!

Search this Thread