Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trip Report of London, France, Switzerland and Italy

Trip Report of London, France, Switzerland and Italy

Jul 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Trip Report of London, France, Switzerland and Italy

I didn’t keep a journal on this trip but thought I would give a bit of insight into our wonderful trip, a condensed version.

After many yes many months of planning for the trip to London, Provence, Wengen Switzerland and Bellagio Italy, the day finally came on June 4. My DH gave up quite a few miles for me to fly first class, probably being alone and meeting him there after many months of separation due to a project he has been consulting on in England had something to do with that….
I met a girlfriend in London for four days of shopping, drinking coffee on the streets and taking in the play, Wicked. London is one of my favorite cities, there is always something to do. Wicked was a great play and I recommend it…….

Day five the DH’s came to pick us up and we are off for a week in Provence, we rented a farmhouse near Viens this year in middle of lavender fields. Days of markets, looking for other lavender fields, the best right under our noses at the farmhouse. Laying by the pool, drinking nice wines from France and enjoying the smells and wonderful days of sunshine and all that is there in beautiful provence. If only I could live in this glorious Luberon Valley.

After the week in Provence we are off to Wengen Switzerland. After all the train worries that I had it was just so easy. I did the swiss rail pass, we spent the first night at the Warwick in Geneva, and as I was told on this site, just across the street and a very welcome place after a long train ride. The next day we caught the train to Wengen, what a wonderful village, and the Caprice Hotel, I just cannot say enough of the owner Chris and his wonderful staff, the rooms are so clean and modern, wonderful balcony overlooking the mountains, and a neighborhood goat who added just the right feeling of being in this countryside. The next day we embarked on sites and other villages, the trains are so easy but we decided that we must take in the views from the sky above. I am afraid of heights a bit and it took four tries to get on the lift to go across the valley to Grindelwald but was so worth it. We took in all that we could in this area in four days, and DH wants to return there again. Thank you everyone for your help on this part of the trip.

June 27th we were off to Bellagio Italy. Train ride uneventful but the taxi cab ride from Como train station to hotel was like no other amusement ride I have been on….Kept closing my eyes but just had to make some peeks, like George’s house on the lake. It is a beautiful beautiful place and again I chose the right hotel. I was amazed when we got there and we had the suite with its own elevator entrance and two large balconies, one for sunning and one for just sitting, the view was to die for. I think it was just one of those moments in your travels where it all seems to work. We did the half board and that is the only thing that I found wrong with the hotel, and I was warned by other fodorites. We did that for two nights and then went into town other nights for wonderful food with locals. One highlight of the trip was a private taxi ride with Lucca. His family has lived in Bellagio for generations and going down the lake coastline and having an insight to some of the homes and landscape made it all more wonderful. We took the ferry across one day to Maggioni, and was totally disappointed, so very pleased that we chose to stay in Bellagio, from what I see it is the happening place for shopping, nice food and beautiful views of the lake and mountains. If anyone would like some suggestions and you are making this trip I would be happy to give you any information that I have. Thank you everyone for all your input, this is a wonderful site, and what a wonderful trip.

Search this Thread