Search

Trip Report - Mykonos, Santorini and Athens

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report - Mykonos, Santorini and Athens

Hello all,

Just getting around to finishing up my trip report for our trip to Greece in June with hubby and two daughters aged 18 and 21. Here is my brief trip report:

Landed in Athens from Chicago and took a bus to the Rafina port to catch our ferry. Took the High Speed 2 ferry from Rafina to Mykonos and I must say, it was quite nice. There isn't a whole lot of difference between economy and business class, so save your money here. The whole family was able to take a great nap and catch up with some sleep as this was a very smooth ride.

MYKONOS:

We were met at the port of Rafina by Makie of Makie's Place. His location is so close to the port that we could have walked, but with the luggage, the ride was appreciated. Makie was so very nice and offered us a few choices of rooms. We took a two bedroom, air conditioned room which actually was an upgrade for us. (110 Euro a night)

A bus stopped right in front of Makie's place and we were able to get into town rather quickly because of it.

First night we ate at Allegro's on the water front. Food was good, view was better.

Second day we walked to Stefano Beach and enjoyed it very much. Had to pay for chair however - 6 euro each.

Dinner second night at Fresca - sat inside so not such a great view and food was good. Went on to the Scandinavian Bar where we met Angelo who treated us as if we were his new best friends. We ended up on the dance floor for a while with the girls having a great time. Definitely check this out just to meet Angelo - he is the best.

Would highly recommend Makie's Place for a reasonable stay in Mykonos.

Took Flying Cat 3 from Mykonos to Santorini. This was not as big of a vessel but still a smooth ride. Only downside - the TV was on and playing a cartoon too loudly for sleep. Arrived in Santorini safely.

SANTORINI:

Oia:
We were met by a driver at the port who took us to OIA House. The drive was long and one daughter questioned why we were staying so far out when clearly Fira looked to be the place we should have stayed as we passed through it to get to Oia. Upon arrival at Oia, we realized why we were advised to stay here. It is absolutely beautiful. Tanya met us at the center of town and walked us to our house which consisted of 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a kitchen, dining room, and living area. We could not have asked for a better view - only steps away from where people travel far and wide to get a glimpse of the famous sunset. We loved the accommodations but I must say, the crowds in the morning and at sunset are a little annoying. We counted 42 bus loads of people descending upon our streets by 9:00 am. Still.,.....well worth it.

Restaurants in Santorini: We ate at the Red Bicycle our first night as it was highly recommended by trip advisor. Food was good but the view was most impressive. Second night, we ate at the Pelican restaurant. It was not very crowded at all mostly I believe because it is on a rooftop. We felt like we were royalty as we had 3 servers serving us. The food was excellent, the music great, and the view spectacular. This was our favorite restaurant in all of Greece. Please do yourself a favor and dine there.

We spent our two afternoons in Oia traveling by ATV to Perissa Beach. This is a black sand beach with unbelievably clear water. I have never been to a more beautiful beach. We all loved it so much, we rented ATV's the second day to go back again. We sat by the Wet Stories Bar which was fun for the kids as it played loud, dancing music. I would highly recommend this beach to anyone staying in Santorini.

FIRA:
The girls convinced us to spend our last night in Fira and it was a good choice. We stayed at the Kallisti Thira Hotel which was just outside of town, but within walking distance. Rooms were clean and reasonable (140 Euro).

We ate at DIONYSOS IN ATLANTIS this evening and although it was a bit of a hike to get there, the food was good and the place was fun. Fira is a very commercialized town, but fun for a change.

ATHENS:

Took an early morning flight from Santorini to Athens, then a bus to our hotel. We stayed at the Hotel Rio because it was said to be close to the attractions. It was not a very nice hotel however, and I would not recommend it.

We did the usual sights in Athens with the highlight being the new Acropolis Museum. It was fabulous – be sure to go there and make that a top priority.

Our Big Fat Greek Vacation was the best one yet. Thanks for all your help with our planning. I love the Fodor’s forums.

Patti
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks Patti, it looks like you and yours had a great time and I enjoyed your report
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Hi Wato,
Did you make your Flying Cat reservations before you left home or wait until you arrived in Athens? If you made them at home, how far ahead could you make them. We will be taking the Flying Cat from Crete to Santorini next May and there does not seem to be a published schedule anywhere.
Glad you enjoyed your trip. I love Fodor's forums also.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Colleen, the FC4 schedule for next May won't be available until the end of March or the beginning of April. http://www.ferries.gr/hfd

It's really not necessary to book ahead for May but if you want to you can do so once the schedule is released by using the Booking function on the Hellenic Seaways website to pick up your tickets at the port on Crete. http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=219

OR, you can book online with Amphitrion Holidays for a small fee and pick up your tickets at their airport travel desk when you first arrive. They're located in the Main Hall between Exit/Entry Doors 2&3 and are open 24/7. http://www.amphitrionholidays.com/online
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Colleen -- no need to book from home in May ... just book when you arrive in Crete, a few days ahead of your sail date. The standard schedule for that ferry is 9:45 daily except for certain "no-sail" Wednesday dates 2 x a month. If you want this kind of informaion, Trip Advisor Greece forum has destination experts for most parts of Greece.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Thanks brotherleelove and travelerjan, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I would like to arrive in Santorini by ferry if at all possible. I understand the Flying Cat's sailing can be canceled or delayed due to weather but I guess these are the chances with ferry travel.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Cancellation in May is not as likely as in April or August when the winds are strong.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Colleen -- the Flying Cat is a Catamaran... it is large (400-500 seats) but all indoors, it does not have decks where you can sit/stand while underway. When you say "I would like to arrive by ferry if at all possible", are you referring to getting the famous view as you come in to the caldera?? On a Flying Cat, not possible. However, there are 2 other options:

(1) If you have a bit of flexibility in coming to Crete, and you time it right, there are a few sailings of "regular" ferries (i.e. with decks) from Heraklion per week. Last summer, there was one that sailed on Wednesday at 8 AM, arrived 12 noon. One also 2x per week n evening.

(2) Where are you going after Santorini? You could take a "regular" ferry from Santo to another island, or to the Athens port of Piraeus. You could stand on deck and get the same view (and photographs) as one could get upon arrival.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM

Patti, did you use a travel agent? My husband and I are travelling with our 13 year old...your itinerary sounds perfect!! Would you be willing to share the details?
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Sounds like a perfect trip. We (12 of u - age range from 23 - 60) are visitng Santorini, Naxos and Athens in May 2010. We are really looking forward to it. One week in Santorini (OIA - Strogili Villas - www.oia-strogili-houses.gr, 5 nights in Naxos - Kavos Villas - www.kavos-naxos.com and just a couple nights in Athens. I am going to use your restaurant receommndation as I am hosting a couple of events while in Santorini (my daughters graduating from law school - hence the trip). Can you give me any info of ATV's - is that teh best way to get around for a couple of days? I always think of them as so unsafe? Also, what good island day trips - anything from Amoudi harbor?
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM

lbbttn-

The ATVs are underpowered and unless you're used to them they can be dangerous, not just from the lack of experience but because other drivers get impatient and try to pass when they shouldn't. If you're going to rent one be prepared to pull over often. If you're timid don't rent one. Some of the roads are narrow and full of blind curves. A rental car is much safer. If you're from the U.S. or Canada be sure to pick up an International Driving Permit from your local AAA/CAA office.

Yes, there is an excursion into the caldera that leaves from Amoudi around 10am.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Sorry all,

I have been away from the fodor's forum for awhile. Thanks for you compliments regarding my trip report. It was fun just reliving it once again.

It looks liek brotherleelove has answered most of your questions, but Collen, you asked for details of the itinerary. What are you specifically looking for? I believe I shared all of our hotel locations as well as most restaurants. Were you looking for flight/ferry times or costs? Please be specific and I will try to answer.

lbbtn - if you are staying at OIA House - you are absolutely going to love it. Ask for the top floor as it has a fantastic (hardly beatable) view.

Patti
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:43 AM

Wato,
We'll be in Santorini in just a couple of weeks.
Are both The Red Bicycle and the Pelican in Oia?
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes - both are in Oia. Enjoy your trip. I'm jealous. Greece was by far my favorite trip!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:00 AM

I can't believe we are set to leave in 2 weeks and thanks for the trip report (I too am travelling from Chicago). We are staying at www.oia-strogili-houses.gr, hope is is as good as the one you stayed in - got great reviews from Fodors forum.
Is it fairly easy to spend an evening in Fira without having to spend the night there ?(especially for the 23-27 year olds who might want to go there for a couple of evenings).
We have totally decided against ATV's however have arranged for the hotel owner to take us on an inland trip to visit the different colored beaches as well as the day trip from Amoudi which goes to the hots springs and Thirrassa (I know I didnl;t spell that correctly but imagine you know what I am referring to). Last thing we are looking for is a local YOGA instructor for a few mornings - obviously not a big deal but would a fun way to start the day for a few of us. We do not want to ahve set plans for more than a couple of days - wait until we get there.
THANKS to EVERYONE's assistance and speedy responses to questions.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM

lbbttn-

Returning to Oia after a night in Fira gets increasingly difficult the later you stay, as buses in May stop running early and the taxis start getting scarce after midnight.

You might find a yoga instructor or at least a referral from the folks at the Caldera Massage Studio in Oia.

http://www.spa-santorini.com

Or perhaps Popi at Strogili knows of one who will come to you.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for a great trip report!