Search

Trip Report Mom and Son- London, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome, Florence and Pisa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report Mom and Son- London, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome, Florence and Pisa

Total trip was 15 days-
I have already posted days 1 & 2 on a previous link.

As recommended, I will post on this thread for the rest of the trip details...adding days as time allows.

On day 3, we took the train to Earlestown where we met family and stayed for 2 nights.

Liverpool - Beatles Fans- took the Magical Mystery Tour - and went to Cavern Club, and the Beatles Story Museum- very good for fans
Walked around the Albert Docks which was lovely

Train from Earlestown to Edinburgh- nice 2 1/2 ride- the new trains have little luggage space, but we managed...the ride was pleasant and we got off at Waverly Station
Taxied to our hotel -
HOTEL- Marriott- Edi- It was not so close to city centre, but the public bus was great- cheap (1 GBP each) and prompt- the hotel was 1 mile from the airport and free shuttle included- We needed this for departure
Marriott Review- nice, spacious room with sitting area- nice fitness center with pool, whirlpool, turkish baths- staff helpful (but they did try to put a hold on my cc -for about 600 USD, my room was paid in advance) Room rate- 200. USD per night including breakfast
Breakfast _ Very nice- I ate haggis and loved it with my eggs
Tours - took the Royal Tour -which included entry to Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace and the Royal Yacht- hop on-hop off buses
Fun- trying on a kilt and taking pics (my son)
Eating - We were limited after 8 PM b/c my sister had her 10 year old and there are strict limits on children in places that have bars (which included most of the restaurants) The next day- we ate earlier to avoid the problem

Overview- Edi is absolutely lovely. Loved the Old Town--Weather was very cool, but no rain for us Wore my capris and my med. weight waterproof jackets most of the time

Departing- We were going to Paris next, so we flew AirFrance from EDI - very affordable rate- flight left at 6 Am and I was dreading that. It was however wonderful! Flight was not full and my son and I could stretch across three seats each and sleep for the 2 1/2 hour flight...breakfast was served...

On to Paris...next
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Days 7 & 8 PARIS

Flew into CDG-arriving at 9o AM. Passport control had small lines, not too much of a wait.

Taxied to our hotel - 5oE for two people w/ luggage. Probably could have done cheaper, but we went straight to the taxi stand, and had a nice "licensed" cab (Mercedes car) and had an enjoyable ride.

Arrived at hotel- Oceania Versailles- went across the street for a quick bite and to our room for a two hour nap.

5 minute walk to the Metro- bought the 10 ticket packet of tickets and into City Centre.

Picked up the double decker bus - with audio tour in English and got acclimated to the city...saw all of the main sights from the bus....

Dinner at Les Deux Magots- loved the idea of Hemingway and the expatriates frequenting the cafe...food was okay, sitting outside watching the people was fun...

D-D took us to the Eiffel Tower- got in the queue which was a little long (should have bought tickets ahead of time). We were going up in the evening and we watched the sunset from the Eiffel Tower and the city light up. This was breathtaking. At the bottom, we took more great pics of the tower lit up.

Taxied back to the hotel because it was late and we were very tired. (I had also gotten sick from the eggs and cheese at Les Deux ;(

Next day we used the Metro which was very easy and many stops (every 500 M) and the DD to get around.
Saw the Louvre- Notre Dame- the Arche- Champs de Elysses and did window shopping at the designer stores and actual shopping in the little souvenier stores.

Dinner at Creme de Poliare (sp.) - recommeded by Rachel Ray and one guide book...food was a little disappointing...they do not take CC's which I knew, but still involved getting to a cash point before arriving..the bathroom is a true turkish toilet...stand and squat over a hole...(This would not be on my list of recommended restaurants.)

Had dinner with a nice couple from Rome who gave us an excellent recommendation for dinner in Rome (more about this under the Rome trip).

Metro back to the hotel

Highlights: The Louvre, The Eiffel Tower at sunset, the cafes...sipping coffee and resting on any corner

The HOTEL- Oceania Versailles- I was so worried b/c it was not in city center- the hotel was fantastic...the reception and concierge was the best we had on the entire trip. The bathroom was huge (as big as the room itself) with a power shower and the hotel had a pool, whirlpool and fitness centre which my son enjoyed...
Breakfast was delightful and could be taken in a lovely garden overlooking the pool. (Included in the rate)

Easy to use the Metro

Paris first seemed congested (after being in Edinburgh) but we really grew to love...walking about, sitting in the cafes...and all of the beauty....

Next time. I would like to rent a bike...many people were doing so...
We had three days and two nights...could have used more time in Paris....Would have liked to have a picnic at night under the Eiffel Tower...

On to Rome by plane
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Paris - Addendum
Montmartre

I almost forgot Montmartre- this was a beautiful place to visit...took the DD bus to Montmartre and took a few minutes to figure out how to get to where you go up to the Basilica...
Got on the Funcilar (something like that) which takes you up to top for about 1 E or you can walk)....
Montmartre has one of the most lovely views of the entire city of Paris.
There was a group of young guys playing music and singing on the steps. We just sat for awhile and listened, enjoying the breathtaking view.
Lots of artists strolling the streets...wanting to sketch your picture...
We enjoyed Montmartre and would put this on the list of "must do's"
Fortunately we got back down in time to catch the last D-D bus coming to Montmartre and got back to city centre..
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Thanks for your report. I'm glad you liked Edinburgh and that the weather didn't spoil your visit. Did you stay at the Marritt on the Glasgow Road or the Marriott Dalmahoy ? (Was it in town - just - or in the country ?)
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

It was Glasgow Road..Do you live in EDI?
It was one of the most lovely places we visited..
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Right - it's on quite a handy bus route, isn't it ?

Yes, I live in Edinburgh. Thank you - it's nice of you to be so complimentary when the weather has been so bad. I suppose when you live somewhere, you rather take it for granted - and then wonder what people are taking photos of ! Now if they could just tow it a few hundred miles further south...
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Days 9, 10 & 11

Left Paris and flew into Rome...easy flight and customs/passport control was basicially non-existent in Rome.

Train station- right in the airport, so we took the train to Termini- easy ride, nice transport...

Taxi- from Termini to our hotel- Visconti Palace (7-8 Euros)...Taxi stand (of course)

Visconti Palace - nice hotel, but one that charges for EVERY extra item...
Total cost was around 710.oo USD for 3 nights which included some extra items (internet, bar drinks, etc.)
Fairly nice location - about a 10 minute walk to Metro or other attractions...
We could walk to St. Angelo's in 7-10 minutes...there was a nice market set up there every morning.
Review of hotel: Probably would not be my first choice for a second stay, but I would not cancel it out completely...
Breakfast was included in rate.
Staff were not very helpful or friendly. Room was a very decent size; bathroom was nice, and a nice outdoor bar/lounge area...

Dining: Restaurante Checco in a little alley in Travestere...recommended by a Roman couple we met in Paris...excellent! Nice wine, homemade pasta, and very helpful staff...If anyone wants the address, I can probably locate it..
Wanted..Near Termini...just happened in, but it was very good...especially the lasagna bolgnese...
One other restaurant that was near Termini...had outside dining, and they did have waiters luring you in, but the pizza and desserts and coffee there were delicious!!

Sights: St. Peter's, The Vatican, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, San Callisto Catacombs (all get my kudos)
Circus Maximo (must see, but it is a little let down to see what is left here), Spanish Steps (maybe I missed something, but I just didn't get the greatness of this)
Fountains everywhere!! I loved filling my water bottles and resting by the fountains...

Metro: not so many stops, but cheap and easy to use
Bus: not really on a good schedule but again cheap and if you don't mind waiting...
Walking: Beautiful...Things are fairly close together, surprises, fountains, piazzas every turn...feet get tired and dusty on the cobblestones

Crazy Tourist: I rented a Vespa...along with my (19 years old)son on the back. It was lovely riding through the streets of Rome until....I decided to make a turn...inexperienced me, froze, hit the gas, hit a curb....ended up on the sidewalk with people yelling in Italian, "DOn't move!"
Visit to the ER by way of ambulance- Pleasant visit, my son suffered minor cuts, me, minor cuts, bruised or broken rib, and they finally let me move...
Health care professionals..very nice!
I am sorry I had to be a "stupid" American tourist in this incident..
Since no one was seriously hurt, we can chalk it up to experience.

Next we are off to Florence by train...
It is hard to leave Rome...I could stay here much longer...
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:37 AM

You are a braver woman than I to even think of driving a scooter in Rome !! Glad not too much harm was done.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM

Very interesting report. Could you give us the title or link to days 1 & 2 as I missed that part and don't find it by clicking on your name.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Date: 08/06/2007, 01:51 pm
Days 1 & 2 London
Just a few things from our first trip abroad...I will post in more detail later. We left the US on July 25...traveled overnight from JFK to Heathrow. We did not sleep much on the plane. I think next time if I fly overnight I will upgrade to first class. There was, however, free bar service and 2 meals served on the plane.

Arrived in Heathrow-July 26 (7:10AM)- no luggage problems, long lines at customs, but we were meeting our driver by 7:50 AM. Used Just Airports as recommended by someone on this site and it was flawless (31 GBP) into London.
City Inn Westminster was very nice. Staff friendly, room and bath nice, breakfast included, and internet available for 15 GBP per 24 hours. Booked through LondonTown.com and after finding a slightly lower rate, my rate was adjusted.
Checked in immediately (room was ready), walked around the corner for a hot chocolate and baguette, and went back to the room to sleep and shower.
On the double-decker tours bus, by around 3 PM and got acclimated to the city. Had lunch at the Sherlock Holmes Pub- went shopping for souveniers in Piccadilly Circus and also found discount tickets to Spamalot for the next night. Rode the London Eye, and then walked back to our hotel which probably should have been about 15 mins. but we took about 45 and looked at Vendors and wandered abit. Went back to the hotel and had a sandwich and a drink and were ready for a good night's sleep (around 11 PM).
Day 2 - Using our DD bus as transport, we went to The Tower of London, took the Beefeaters Tour, and saw the Crown Jewels. The lines were very short and we did not wait very long at all...bought tickets there on the spot...Went on to the Globe Theatre, took the tour, watched an actual play rehearsal, and then took the boat tour (included in our DD bus rate) back to Westminster. Westminster Abbey was incredible and I highly recommend seeing it. We got there around 3:30PM so we missed any guided or audio tours, but we used the directory and saw all the things we wanted to see...(For me Poet's Corner was a must).

Stopped at Mcdonalds of all places....Walked back to the hotel...showered, freshened up, and then took the tube (about 10 minute walk from our hotel) to the theatre area.
Found a nice Med Cafe across the street from our show...sat a lovely outside table...good prices...and we were in the theatre by 8:15...show started at 8:30...we were upgraded b/c it was the show's first night opening at 8:30 instead of 8, and we had great seats. My son is a Monty Python fan, but I am not, but this was the best show I have ever seen. Far topping anything I have seen in NYC, Chicago, or anywhere in the states.
Back to our hotel...sleep and the next morning we opted for no wake up call, even though we had a couple of things we wanted to do before our 1:30 PM train to Earlestown.
Got up a little late, nice breakfast and taxied to Abbey Road. Since my son is a big Beatle's fan, we had to get the pic crossing the road. It was great fun! Then we caught the tube back to our hotel....got a taxi, had the taxi stop at a cash point, and we were off to Euston Station...just in time to catch our train going to Earlestown...more later...

Going to Earlestown where we will meet family and stay 2 nights before going on to EDI...meanwhile we will tour Liverpool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:18 AM

Glad to hear the City Inn Westminster is good - I have considered staying there.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the re-post of days 1 and 2. Now I am looking forward to Florence and Pisa
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would certainly hope that "customs/passport control was basicially non-existent in Rome" -- France and Italy are both part of the Schengen zone, so a flight between the two countries is a domestic flight.