Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Trip report - Milan, Florence, Venice, Siena, SG, Lucca, Pisa, Verona, Como, Fiesole (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trip-report-milan-florence-venice-siena-sg-lucca-pisa-verona-como-fiesole-228187/)

Bob Jun 5th, 2002 03:10 AM

Trip report - Milan, Florence, Venice, Siena, SG, Lucca, Pisa, Verona, Como, Fiesole

My wife and I recently returned from a 16 day-14 nite fabulous vacation thru northern Italy.<BR><BR>We want to thank all the Fodorites who were so helpful to us in our planning. The information provided was invaluable. It just helped things fall into place. You can't beat the insight provided in this forum.<BR><BR>Our report is quite lengthy and would be difficult to post here. For those who would like it please email me and I'll send it to you as soon as I can: [email protected]<BR><BR>Northern Italy was just spectacular. We saw so much, walked a lot, and climbed many Towers for great views. And Venice was like living in a fairy tale!<BR><BR>Some quick comments:<BR><BR>Milan - not a great city in our opinion but the Duomo is incredible, so is Vittorio Emmanuelle; and the best - Leonardo's Last Supper<BR><BR>Florence - quite crowded but we got to see most of the museums and also got to see the city from different vantage points - Giotto Tower, Piazalle Michelangelo, Boboli Gardens, and Fiesole; loved Massaccio's frescoes; David incredible to see; and much more<BR><BR>Venice - just incredible place; used 3 day pass to get around; plus, lots of walking to soak in the city; St. Marks just awesome with the music, pigeons, etc.; Murano was great<BR><BR>Verona - only 1 nite here - Arena and Tower were really neat; missed Elton John by 3 days; very clean city<BR><BR>Lake Como - Varenna, Bellaggio, and Como -- great day trip; hydrofoiled from Bellaggio to Como; great pictures<BR><BR>Our day trips included:<BR><BR>Lucca: very pretty, very quiet -- climbed the tower; Nicodemus effigy of Jesus in Duomo very moving<BR><BR>Pisa: the Tower was unbelievable to see; as my wife exclaimed -- "It's leaning .... a lot!"<BR><BR>San G: climbed the tower, very picturesque, but didn't spend much time here<BR><BR>Siena: Awesome; just sitting in Il Campo having a beer is so cool; climbed to the top of the tower - best views of our vacation<BR><BR>Fiesole: Quick trip from Florence - very nice views <BR><BR>And finally -- awesome gelato all over!!! Our favorite 3 scoop combo: fruiti di bosco, frogola, amarena -- all for 2 euros!!<BR><BR>Again, just email me and I'll send you our travelog.<BR><BR>Happy trails to all!<BR><BR>Bob

zz-top Jun 5th, 2002 07:32 AM

Looking forward to reading about your most recent trip. Will email you my request. Thanks!<BR>

Cheryl Jun 5th, 2002 08:25 AM

<BR>Just finished reading your trip report ---- it was wonderful!<BR><BR>Cheryl and Ray

Marilyn Jun 5th, 2002 11:16 AM

Incredible report!!! A must read for everyone.<BR><BR>Marilyn (lynlor)

Betty Jun 6th, 2002 01:40 PM

ttt

mary beth Jun 7th, 2002 08:03 AM

bob, your trip sounds wonderful. i am traveling through italy for 2 weeks with two friends this summer, and we would really appreciate a copy. thanks!