Trip Report Miami, Zurich, St Anton

Mar 30th, 2004, 03:07 PM
kr
Original Poster

Trip Report Miami, Zurich, St Anton

Took Swiss international from Miami to Zurich. Airline was OK pretty cramped in coach. Airbus A33O. Got into the Zurich airport followed the signs to the train which was a 15 yard walk out the doors and across the road and down an escalator. Couldn?t find any help desks so I went straight to the train ticket booth and asked for a roundtrip ticket to the city, cost around 7.50 US dollars, taxis are around 40 US dollars. It is a direct train about 12 minutes first stop is Zurich HB, which is the main station. ATM'S are in the airport.

I was staying at the hotel Walhalla
http://www.walhalla-hotel.ch/en/frameset.html
OK as posted on this board this is close to the train station good luck finding it, it is not lit up or are there any noticeable signs until you are near it. Took me a while even after I was told where it is.

So on that note im going to post walking directions to this hotel. Get out of the train go left, go left again to track 18, make another left and follow the tracks down till you reach a food stand, curve to the right, cross the road, walk about 20 yards and you will see the sign above you, turn left before the next road and there it is on your left.

The hotel is very clean; the rooms are small, typical small Europe style single bed for 2 people or a double bed for one. Bathroom is real nice; double sink nice fixtures very modern. The hotel location is fine to walk anywhere for the shopping or just take the tram. It?s about a 5-10 minute walk to the old town and the same for the fancy shopping area. No Air Conditioning and there is a lot of Discos in the area so on a saturday night it was noisy, also the trams and the bus station is right there so with the windows open it was rough. But all in all in the winter I would stay there again.

Zurich is a really nice walking city I was very impressed.

If you need tickets to events the place to go is ticket korner it is the ticketmaster of Switzerland. No web site that I know of, but they are located in the main train station and other places in the city. I was able to get Eric Clapton tickets for the following week there.

Stayed 2 days in Zurich than headed by train to my yearly destination ST Anton for skiing.

The Swiss trains are much more comfortable and quieter than the German Or Italian Trains. The sites out of the train windows are breath taking better than when you come from Germany or Italy The Swiss alps are beautiful. 2 1/2 hour direct and you are in St Anton, a quick 50-yard walk across the street and you are right in the middle of town, town is basically one street. Stayed at the Hotel Post for the third year in a row. Love the staff the food and the steam baths downstairs.

St Anton is not for a beginners the slopes are not groomed, they do not have any green runs, but there are other mountains very close. I have skied them all. If you are looking for an easier mountain, ski Lech. But don?t stay there unless you can afford it the hotels are triple the price of St Anton. If anyone needs additional help with St Anton they can email me at [email protected]. I?ve been there 4 years in a row and know the area pretty well.

Skiing was great it snowed for 3 days and than it was sunny and clear. Seven days of skiing than back to Zurich to see Eric Clapton than back to Miami.

The security in Switzerland well there wasnt much they just glance at you passport, dont even look you up on a computer and your on your way. Leaving they dont xray your luggage. Get into the USA and they put your bags thru an xray machine again.

One more note Philip Morris is alive and thriving in Europe smoking was as usual in Europe brutal. Austria's bad but the Swiss can compete with the French and the Italians. I?m thinking since they all smoke Marlboros they cant read the label on the side of the box they speak English I guess they cant read it.

The concert was beyond belief with the smoking, worse than any show I saw in the 70's in the states 8 out of 10 people were smoking non stop I need my lungs sprayed and cleaned after that show.

Went to the Hallenstadion, Zurich (Switzerland) 28-Mar-2004 to see Eric Clapton here is a set list if anyone wants to see it

Let it rain
Hoochie coochie man
Walk out in the rain
Bell bottom blues
Change the world (Acoustic)
When you got a good friend
Milkcow's calf blues
Kind hearted woman blues
They're red hot
I shot the sheriff
Third degree
Got to get better in a little while
I wanna little girl
Badge
Wonderful tonight
Cocaine
Layla
Sunshine of your love (Encore)
Got my mojo working (Encore, w/ Robert Randolph)

Mar 30th, 2004, 03:40 PM

Your message brings back good memories of Zurich and St. Anton. A few years ago, I also took the train from Z. to SA. Arriving at night. SA looked like fairyland. You're right...it is hard skiing. I liked the Valluga run so much that I named my sailboat after it.
Ginny
Apr 6th, 2004, 01:18 PM

Hi kr, just a remark about security at Zurich Airport - You stated "Leaving they dont xray your luggage".
The airport stated several years ago that ALL luggage is sreened. Considering the actual security situation, I do not have any reason to believe they disontinued that. You just do not see the screening, as this is part of the airport infrastructure services (not a service of the airlines). Thats part of what you pay for by your airport security taxes (added to your ticket prices).
Walter
Apr 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM
kr
Original Poster

Guess I will update my trip report on this same thread for this year. Didn't post last years. So I will skip the Zurich St.Anton portion even thu just got back 6th year in a row. I will post about other mountains.

First Davos- Great skiing, disappointing town not much looks or charm to it compared to Austria, Kitzsbul, St. Anton, Lech or Ischgl. Very expensive to eat in this town $30 for a pizza, most main courses were real high. This was last year of course. Stayed in the hotel Post Morano. Nice hotel. Davos has a run which is about 16 miles long and takes 2-3 hours to get down, I actually went to Davos for this run and it was great, goes from Davos into Klosters.

So back to this year, we went from St. Anton to Ischgl. Wow, yes wow, great town the skiing was very good. Long runs and the views were the best I ever seen of the Alps. You can ski into Switzerland or stay in Austria.

Cool place they have 3 major concerts on the top of the mountain each year. Bon Jovi, Elton and other huge acts each year. The concerts were Status Quo and Pink coming up this month, missed them.

http://is0.info/portal/content/2001/

Stayed at the Hotel Madeline http://www.ischglmadlein.com/en/index.shtml. Nice hotel for a ski resort, modern and big. The food was great, the rooms are typical small and the beds are typical, small, funny looking actually.

Anyhow Ischgl is going to be fit into my yearly trip with St. Anton now. The skiing is just so much better at Ischgl. So I would have to say if your looking for the fairy book look with great skiing Ischgl is the place.

Kitzsbul is a great looking town but the skiing is so and the conditions are usually bad.

Apres ski is quite nuts in Austria, I am not a day drinker so I wouldn't even try to drink with the Euros, they can put them down. A whole new level of drunkenness I witnessed this year. The apre ski is open on the mountain till about 9pm, then they all ski down drunk (God bless other countries and no law suits). A very funny thing to witness. Than they go right into town ski boots and all and keep drinking all night.

The lift system is unreal, you get a plastic card, works like a sunpass or toll card. When you approach the turnstiles they open automatically, you than push forward a few feet and a conveyer belt takes you and stops. Than a lift comes up behind you and you gently sit on comfortable chairs. The lift than moves into the rotation slowly and away you go. No fear for begineers or kids on these lifts. And noo pain from having the lift slam into yer rear.

Another great thing you see in Europe is more elderly people skiing in there 70's. I love seeing that.

O and lift tickets are 30 euro not 85 us dollars. Boycott US slopes, go to Europe. Better food, better skiing, better lift systems and much cheaper. Flights are about the same price. Hotels come with breakfast and dinner, you save a lot going there. Ski's are 100 a week to rent without boots.

Anyhow another great ski trip in the books.

As always anyone want additional info email me.
Apr 9th, 2006, 12:37 AM

Thanks for the trip report.

I've always wanted to go to Ishgl in the wintertime. It's THE Rambazamba place to go skiing. Your report wants me to go all the more.

We almost went to St. Anton for skiing this year but couldn't find anything for a group. Is it true that lots of English go there to ski?

Ticket corner website: http://www.ticketcorner.com/home.jhtml?initCountry=DE

I've ordered tickets there lots of times. It works very well. You can even see where your seat is!
Apr 9th, 2006, 03:12 PM
kr
Original Poster

St. Anton is very English and Scandinavian. Ischgl is German not many Brits. But Ischgl, great skiing Id skip St. Anton if it wasnt for all my friends there.