trip report - kids in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that a frequent question is lodging for families. Just returned from London with 3 kids. Stayed at Somerset Queens Gate Gardens. Got a deal on British Air website for $210 for a 1 bedroom apt (included taxes & cold breakfast). Our only extra charge was 14 pence for a local phone call. They have a washer & dryer in the basement which were in high demand. Staff were helpful. Great location, near museums, tube, park, Waitrose grocery & restaurants. Liked Ask (restaurant for pizza & pasta). Let me know if questions.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Apartment sounds great. How about a full trip report?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Sorry its taken so long to get back - still catching up from the trip. We arrived in London from Vienna around 1. Had a Ray Skinner driver pick us up, which was fine but expensive (54 GPB) as compared to the 38 charged by the taxi back to the airport(nice guy in Mercedes). First afternoon we went to Museum of Natural History for a short visit. One thing I realized, for all the museums, an hour or so does not do any justice! Saw the dinosaur exhibit which was great.
Next day, did the Big Bus Tour. Got on by Gloucester St with recorded tour but transferred to red bus with live tour guide. He was great! Got off at London Tower & took the river cruise to Westminster. Walked up to Trafalgar Sq & were planning to get the green line to British Museum but couldn't find the stop so ended up walking to British Museum. Didn't have near enough time in the British Museum. Since we walked to the museum, we didn't hear that they have changed the stops for the green line on Big Bus. Waited 1/2 hour to get the bus, then he took a 1/2 hour break one stop later! By the time we got back to the red line to get to the blue line to get back to Kensington it was late. Got back to out apt around 7:30. Learned many lessons here - frankly. I am amazed at the people here that say they did 3 museums plus plus in one day.
Day 2 we took the tube to Tower of London. Had gotten tickets from Big Bus so walked right in. Started with the Yeomens tour but it was raining & my daughter had a nasty cold so we decided to not stand in the rain to stay with the tour. AMazing place - stayed there until early afternoon. Do not miss it & be sure to give it enough time. Had a very nice lunch there in their cafeteria. On the way back to Kensington, stopped at the Royal Mews. My daughter loves horses so this was her choice. It was another interesting look at the aristocracy. Do recommend it if you have any interest in the horses & carraiges. Then stopped at Harrods. Oh My! I have never been in a department store that needed a map to get around. Managed (somehow)to find the toy department & kids food court. FRankly, not sure of what the attraction is here - but I'm not that big of a shopper & was overwhelmed with 3 kids in tow. Ate dinner at Ask that night. Day 3, tubed to London Eye. Nice view but pretty expensive for 1/2 hour. That would not be on the top of my list next time. The kids really wanted to see the new Harry Potter movie in London so that is what we did that afternoon. A bit of a hike to find the theatre in Kensington but also saw that shopping area after the movie. Then walked around Kensington Gardens & back to apt.
Day 4 - had to catch the plane back to Denver in the afternoon so went to the Museum of Science in the morning. It was very close to the Apt. Once again, not near enough time - just saw a few of the exhibits - its 5 floors. Cool Space exhibit.
One last thought - at Somerset Quenn's Gate, we reserved a 1 BR, they had us in a studio but switched us when they saw our confirmation. Just be aware -
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Betsy,

Great report. Reminds me of our first trip to London with our two kids (we got a deal on BA too). Our solution to the problem of not having enough time was to go back to London, repeatedly. But that first trip still remains a favorite family memory.

Dave White

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Thank you for the trip report. I cannot wait until my 13 month old granddaughter gets old enough to go on adventures with her grandma!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

I have to add - my 9 yr old son & I were watching a travel DVD the other night of Vienna & Salzburg, where we also went (SmartTravels Europe - very good) & he said he remembered the Kunsthistoriches Museum because of the Flemish paintings. (they were talking about the museum on the video). I have to think he is one of a very few American 9 yr olds who would know about "flemish paintings". We to, will have lots of family memories from our trip.