Trip Report - Just returned

May 31st, 2000, 05:54 AM
Jen

Trip Report - Just returned

Just got back from a wonderful trip in Ireland. Here is a summary:

We flew into Shannon and took a day trip up to the Cliffs of Moher. The cliffs were beautiful (we had a clear day) and not to be missed. We stayed in a small B&B in Kilrush called Knockerra House. Small town without much going on but good start to leave for County Kerry the next day.

The next day we did the Dingle Peninsula which was spectacular. The town of Dingle was lovely as well. We stayed 2 nights in Killarney at Kathleen's House which is an absolutely lovely small B&B with about 16 rooms. Kathleen is wonderfully helpful; suggesting restaurants and booking trips for us. We really felt pampered. I highly recommend her guest house. The next day we hiked through the GAp of Dunloe (about 7.5 miles) and took a small boat through the Lakes of Killarney to Ross Castle. The scenery is beautiful on this exursion. We opted for walking but there are horses and carriages the will take you through the Gap for a charge.

Killarney was more touristy than most of the towns we visited but still lovely as the mountains surround the town and there is so much to see in the area. Don't miss Dingles restaurant for great seafood and a warm welcome from the owner.

We spent the next couple of days at Mount Juliet Estate in Kilkenny. This place is wonderful - a 1500 acre estate with a beautiful old manor house. The Stables are more casual than the manor house (and less expensive) and still very luxurious. Very relaxing with wonderful restaurants, indoor pool, spa, Stud Farm, and golf course.

In Dublin we stayed in the Jury's Hotel and Towers. Nice hotel but a little far from the center of the city - about 15-20 min walk. We only stayed in Dublin 1 night and felt that was enough time (we had seen Trinity College on a previous trip). Grafton Street and Temple Bar are charming and worth a stroll.

Don't forget to bring a good waterproof jacket and shoes (ie hiking boots). I bought a Gortex jacket before I left and since it rained at some point everyday it was well worth it. The Irish told us to be prepared for 4 seasons in one day and it could not be more true. Don't fret if it is raining in the morning - chances are the sun will come out later in the day.

Take your time and enjoy the country - do not rush through from one place to another. Stay at places more than 1 night. We did not see every single tourist attraction b/c we felt we would have streched ourselves too thinly. Enjoy!

Hope this helps and email me with any questions.

Search this Thread