Search

Trip Report-Italy, Greece, and Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report-Italy, Greece, and Turkey

Hi All,

We just came back last night and our trip was perfect. Of course it was hectic, but we did relax as well. Everything went extremely smooth and that is all from the great advice I took from the boards. THANK YOU to everyone.

I plan to write all the details once I unpack and catch up. Very nice being back to the kids and home, but not all the unpacking and cleaning up.

To start, a little about us. We are in our mid-30's, very active and have 2 kids ages 6 and 8, who did not go on the trip. They had a wonderful time at both my parents and in-laws house. This was the 2nd time we've ever left them as they are wonderful travellers so we missed them a lot.

Anyway, our basic itinerary was to cover as much as possible and we surely did. We went to Sorrento/Amalfi Coast for 3-4 days, Greece (Santorini, Samos) for 4 days, and Turkey (Ephesus, Istanbul) for 3 days. Yes quite a hectic itinerary but we got very lucky, practically no lines anywhere and were able to get seats on all busses and ferries. The only thing we were not able to see was the Blue Grotto in Capri as it was closed for several days due to high tides.

To begin, as some of you know, I was so worried about our 1 hour connection at CDG-(Newark to Paris to Naples), but we followed the directions I printed off the boards, ran like crazy people, and made with at least 5-7 minutes to spare. Oh yes and how can I forget about my luggage- we travelled on Air France and I was so worried about their strict rules. So we downsized- two 20 inch roll-on and 2 very small backpacks. Had absolutely no problem and we were so glad we travelled light.

About our flight-Air France was very nice. I did take that homeopathic medicine-No Jet Lag and I slept a bit on the flight as well. The food was very good, as was the service and the personal video games/movie console at each seat.

We landed CDG at 8:30 am, waited to "dock" the plane for about 10 minutes (yes, I was keeping a close account of all times as I was praying we would make the connection). DH kept asking me why I was obsessed with the time and I just told him it's for my trip report. Anyway, we then had to take the bus to the gate. We were still on the bus at 8:45 and I was just about to give up. But we got off the bus around 8:50, ran out as fast we could without hitting anyone and did our mad dash. We landed in 2E and had to make it to 2D and at this point, we had approximately 30 minutes before take off.

DH was sweating and was having a hard time keeping up. He just finished his Masters and hasn't been working out at all so this was a 30 minute huge burst of cardio. We finally arrived at the security gate, no lines, and then went to our gate. They had just started boarding so we made it just fine. Yes it was tough, but since it all went well, we took a huge sigh of relief and boarded the flight to Naples. YEAH.

More to follow.......
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM

We are traveling in August with a one hour connection at CDG as well. What directions do you have for making the connection?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Monica,

I will post what I have on Monday as my file is at work.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM

looking forward to hearing more...
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

This is my first trip report so I hope I'm doing this with enough details to help anyone who may be planning the same thing.

Day 1. We arrived Naples right on time at about 12 noon. We headed upstairs, grabbed a quick sandwich at the airport, withdrew some money at the ATM, and boarded the Alibus right outside. We took the bus to the train station. Either there was a lot of traffic or something, but this ride took longer than expected. As we were on the bus, I saw a TIM dealer right on the corner near the station. So we got off the bus and walked to the dealer and somehow managed in broken English, hand language to ge them to insert a TIM card. I had borrowed my mom's unlocked TMobile phone. It worked and was quite useful for the rest of our Italy trip.

We then walked to the train station, around the back and followed the signs to Circumvesuviana. Bought tix and then went down the stairs to the platform. There are people there to help and we found the Sorrento train at the 2nd platform. The train itself had quite a bit of grafitti and wasn't the cleanest, but we're used to NYC subway trains so it was OK. We stopped at the Pompeii Scavi station (the station maps are clearly printed inside the train) and exited to the right. From here we sat down for about 30 minutes and had some gelato and snacks before entering Pompeii.

It was quite hot but we were prepared with hats and water. We went in, bought our tix and audio guide and then before the turnsile, dropped our luggage at the little booth. Very easy to find and went very smooth. We used the audio guide and walked around for about 2-3 hours. It was hot and by 4 we were ready to go. So we headed back, picked up our luggage and went back to the station area to buy tix to Sorrento. I had the train schedule pre-printed with me, but we had a few minutes so we sat inside and waited. The train came and we boarded. We were staying at il Nido and I did call from the train, but they said to call only once we arrive and then they will pick us up. So we reached and I called. We waited and finally saw the shuttle.

After 15 minutes, we finally arrived at il Nido-absolutely beautiful and the people there are just so nice. There are 2 computers in the lobby so you can keep in touch back home. We got in the room, took showers, and then just relaxed. We stayed in that night and enjoyed a wonderful meal at the restaurant at il Nido. There is a beatiful view and you can see the lemon groves. We caught a nice sunset and called it an early night. Day 2 -Amalfi coast to follow.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Great start - good thing you are young Looking forward to more . . .
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Monica,

These are the directions I took off this board and that was in my files to follow. You basically exit, go straight, and turn right and follow signs to 2D. Use all moving walkways and run or walk fast if you can. Good Luck!

So, you will need to clear immigration, upon arrival in CDG 2E, as you are entering the Schengen area. Once you have cleared immigration, you need to :
- go through the baggage retrievals area on the ground floor, where you may be subject to a cursory customs check of your carry-ons
- go towards the other end of the terminal on the ground floor, heading towards the TGV station (5mn)
- take the escalator (not the elevator, which goes to the departures level) up one level, use the moving walkways and reach the TGV station (5mn)
- cross over from the South side of the terminal to the North side, in front of the Sheraton hotel (1mn, you are still inside the terminal, there is no hazardous road crossing involved)
- turn left and take the moving walkways toward CDG 2D (5mn)
- go through security to enter the boarding area, which is one single entity, so you can go through any security checkpoint. (5-10mn)

Three additional points :
- your incoming aircraft will most probably have a remote stand, so you should factor in an additional 15-20mn to reach the CDG 2E terminal building
- as you will have a regional aircraft for your flight to PSA, you will be boarding by bus from CDG 2D.
- as AF has transferred many US flights to CDG 2E, immigration at 2E will probably be undergoing some changes, so this is the major unknown in terms of time needed, for your connection.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Sorry it's taking me so long to post. It's been nuts since I came back, both at home and work. Anyway, DAY 2-Amalfi Coast.

We woke up around 7, got ready and had a beautiful breakfast at the il Nido terrace. The view was absolutely amazing and just breathtaking. We took the 8am shuttle in and ended up hanging out with another family as well. We arrived in Sorrento town right near the port and we all walked down this crazy, windy road to the port. There is a bus as well, but we walked this day. After getting off the il Nido shuttle, just walk straight, cross the street, take a left and go down the stairs.

Arrive at the port and we bought the 9:25 MetrodelMare ferry to Amalfi. So we had plenty of time totake pictures, listen to the fruit and vege guy solicit customers, and just people watch. Boarded the ferry, went up to see the view and enjoyed. Approx 30-35 minutes later, the boat dropped and picked up passengers at Positano. The view...what can I say, cliffs and houses and beautiful water...just so nice. Boat takes off again and we are in Amalfi a short while later. We walked around a bit, saw the church, the fountains, and walked into a few shops, and then decided to go to Ravello by bus.

Very easy to find. We bought tickets at the tabaccheria across the bus stand. Oh my Gosh-the bus ride was thrilling, nauseating, fun, amazing, and crazy all at the same time. Our bus did get into a fender bender with this idiotic car who tried to pass fromt heother side so it took an extra 10 minutes but we finally made it there. It was so worth it.

We ate lunch at Cumpa Cosina per recommendations here and was well worth it. I ordered a sampler vegetarian pasta plate and it wasout of this world. DH ordered some pasta as well. After lunch, we walked to both Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo. The gardens were so pretty and hte view at the end was very worth the admission price. The walk to and there was a nice hike in both directions but we were glad we did. We made a quick pit stop at the ATM only to learn we were denied. Used another card and called the bank once it was time. Learned you can only withdraw $400 USD per 24 hours. Since I was paying everything with cash (hotel, transportation, etc....), it was going fast!

Took the bus back to Positano and got off at the first stop. We walk and took a quick icecream/gelato break and then continued downhill to the shops and beach. So nice. Ended up buying some nice small souvenirs and received some nice small shopping bags as well.

We walked back to the bus stop and people were all watching so we peered in as well. I guess they were filming a movie and this girl with a beautiful gown was walking with this handsome Italian guy. Nice. We saw the Positano interno bus and didn't think twice until after it left, realizing we could have taken that back UP the hill. Oh well, we decided to walk it. Made it just in time as the bus to Sorrento was approaching.

Reached Sorrento and while looking at the map, I realized il Nido is on Via Nastro Verde and the area where we were passing looked like we were near the hotel. So DH goes up but not in time. The driver says-we just passed it. So we decided to get off. He said it's not too far. We figured we would save time going in to Sorrento and then waiting for the shuttle. So we started walking and the numbers were going in the right direction and then it turned the other way. And after about 10 minutes, I called il Nido with the cell I had (came in very handy) and they came and picked me up. So sweet, we were a good 1 mile away. So back at the hotel by 6/7. We rested and showered and DH decides to take the shuttle and go have dinner in Sorrento. I was tired but he said come on, so we did. I was glad we did. I actually loved downtown Sorrento, the shops and the whole decor. We had a quick bite at one of the local reataurants. Ate outside and just watched.

After dinner, DH decides to walk a different way to the shuttle "meeting point". Me with my map said "Sure". We walked by the port area, looks so different at night, equally pretty and then around in some huge circle going through residential neighborhoods and of course finding a local dessert place that was very yummy. After about 10 minutes of walking, we were back at the meeting point and waited about 10 minutes for the 10 pm shuttle. Back at 10:30. Nice full day.

Day 3-to follow Capri and then on to Naples
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Very much enjoyng the report! We were at the Amalfi Coast last September and loved it. Heading off to Turkey, (and maybe a little Greece?) for a couple of weeks next May so I will be following your report closely. Of course, we are older than you, so we do take things a little slower!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:49 PM

How did you like Il Nido? That's our first stop on our trip this August. Would you stay there again? Your trip report is great for a first-timer. Maybe I'll be brave enough to post when I return as well.
Good for you for not taking the kids. Mine are now 12 and 14, and I finally feel they're ready for Italy.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi, yes everyone has to go at their own pace, however as much as we did, we did not feel rushed.

We loved il Nido and would go back in a heartbeat. For the price, you have wonderful view, great dinner option, excellent breakfast, use of free internet, and the very timely shuttle. You don't want to stay downtown anyway-too noisy and you won't have the secluded view. The owners do whatever it takes to keep you comfortable. If you have any specific questions, please ask.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

So Day 3- On to Capri and then Naples

We had a beautiful breakfast at il Nido again, checked out, and then took the 8am shuttle into town again. So convenient! We arrived near the port and had our 2 small carry-ons with us. We waited for the bus to take us down. It did take a while and we were so tempted to walk down all those stairs and I reminded DH the narrow alleyway and I didn’t feel safe with luggage, plus we had time. So we waited over 15 minutes and then the bus took us down. Instead of waiting for the 9:25 Metrodelmare ferry, we took the one way on CapriJet I think it was for about 4-5E more. Not too bad, it departed at 8:45 I think and the ride was only about 20 minutes. I’ll have to check my stubs if anyone needs exact times and prices. We boarded the ferry and landed in Capri around 9:20. I had Rick Steves directions about the 4th shop for luggage storage. It’s basically across the street once you exit the dock area, very convenient. You do have to pay a small fee but worth it.

Dropped off our luggage and tried to find an ATM. The one near us did not work so we entered the bank. This was so interesting. You have to go through this security opening, so one person goes into this capsule at a time. Very neat and we never saw anything like it. Anyway, no luck with the ATM. Then we learned the Blue Grotto was closed for the past 2 days and most likely will be closed all day today. Pout, but not too worry. We just enough money to buy the funicular tickets, we reached the top to AnaCapri and it was so beautiful. There we found plenty of ATMs and we were back in action. We paid 50c each to go to the bathroom and then walked around the cute little stairs. Then we took the bus to the Monte Salerno chairlift.

Well, I was thinking we were going to be in huge lines so I can read and prepare for the trip up. Well we bought the tickets and the next thing you know, I was pushed into the single chairlift. Fright, horror, excitement, panic, deep breath…can’t do anything now but to hold on to my sandals. Oh no, my sunglasses fell and the guy downstairs waved that he has them and placed them on the chair. Whew. My husband was in front of me and I had the camera. So to keep busy, I took over 10-20 pics on my way up and then I decided to enjoy the slow and relaxing ride up this huge hill since I have no control. It was not scary, I just hate heights. I even hate driving over bridges. I kept thinking would I take my kids on this? I did see 8-9 y.o. on their own chairlift and I thought…crazy. I would take my kids but on my lap.

The ride up was very scenic and just beautiful. Once you get up top, well it is absolutely worth the ride. WOW is all I can say. The rocks one side with the green/blue waters below, it was just magical. We decide to sit down and of course indulge in some icecream for DH and I had a soda at the cute snack bar. I told DH that there is a hike we can do down and he said….Are you crazy? We spend a good 30-40 minutes up there enjoying the views and lounging in their chairs, and then we took the chairlift back down. I was much more prepared this time. I went first and DH went behind me with the camera so he can snap away. Down below, we took the bus back to town and walked around and had some sandwiches at the shop right near the cable car station. We decided to go back down the funicular and go on a boat tour. Of course, we took some extra money out as well.

Got down and went on the 2:00 island boat tour. They explained we would not go around the entire island since the waters are choppy near the Blue Grotto area, but instead we would go near the Green Grotto. We got on line and boarded the boat. This was definitely a highlight of our trip. The boat ride was perfectly narrated and we saw lots of nice cliffs and caves. We even ran into people who lived 2 towns over from where I grew up. The green grotto was beautiful and magical and I just tried to imagine this is what the blue grotto must be except blue and with someone singing. Anyway, we saw Bill Gate’s yacht docked (at least that is what was narrated over the speaker) and went thru the famous Farig. Rocks. Very nice and these pictures came out perfect. After about an 1 hour we were back at the port. We bought tickets for the 3:30 ferry to Naples. So we picked up our luggage and had some nice hot Panini type sandwiches at the restaurant across the ticket station and then boarded the ferry.

So 3:30/4:00 was when everyone back on the East Coast was waking up. After we fought for some seats on a very nice ferry boat (I must say , so clean and professional looking), I made some phone call with the cell and spoke to the kids. I called our bank for this annoying 400 limit per 24 hours and looked thru my digital pictures. Did rest up as well and after 1 hour we were in Naples.

Evening in Naples to continue……..
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

We arrived Naples around 4:30/5 and we had reservations at the Holiday Inn near the airport. I had e-mailed them several times of the location for the shuttle bus. They responded quickly but they failed to tell me the meeting point was Hotel Mercure. As we passed right by it, we walked with luggage to the Piazza Municipio bus stand. After 10 minutes of passing the shuttle time I had listed, I called the hotel and they told me that we were supposed to be at Hotel Mercure.

Very annoyed and upset, we took a 15E taxi ride to the hotel. I was getting upset because I had read very negative reviews about the hotel after I booked the trip and I thought this night would become a disaster. Anyway, we checked in and found the room to be very clean and perfect. So we relaxed a bit, showered, and then took their shuttle into town. We walked all down the SpaccaNapoli section, very nice and found it to be very charming. Although the outer main street is a bit dirty and reminds of NYC, I had read all about what to expect so I was OK. No one robbed us or even tried…of course we were on guard. An old man even stopped and took pictures of us…so cute. My mission was to walk and find Da Michele pizzeria. So we walked a good 30-40 minutes and finally arrived. DH’s reactions, this is what I walked all this way for, you were raving about this tiny little pizzeria. I told him the history and all that I read and we sat down to enjoy our pizza (no lines by the way). There was this guy in there that said hi to me and DH said-you think you know everyone and then I realized he was the guy who sat next to me on the bus ride back down from Ravello. Weird…. The pizza was scrumptious. There are only 2 kinds so we ordered 1 of each and drinks. Total bill-10 E. Cheap. Made up for the extra taxi fare that I had to pay.

We walked around a bit more and made our way to the train station and then to the pick up spot for the shuttle near the McDonalds. I called the hotel and told them to let the driver know that we were waiting….smart! Got back and went to sleep. So overall we enjoyed our short time in Naples. We did not have time to go to the museum but hey I have to go back anyway to see the Blue Grotto and the other islands!

Next day: To Santorini

Oh I forgot, the night before on the shuttle, this lady mentioned she had an early morning flight so I asked her when…yes the same time as ours 7 AM so I asked if she would split the cab. She said yes. Great. It was too early for the hotel shuttle (I knew this) so at least we saved a bit more by splitting the fare.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Hi P,
My questions about Il Nido are as follows:
How are the beds and towels?
Did you get a peek at any quad rooms?
How is the breakfast?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Breakfast-wonderful-nice assortment with muffins, breads, eggs, etc...

Towels-they are thin, not like usual thick plush towels, but they work just fine.

I did not see the quads. Our bed was fine. All European beds are usually twin beds put together and a bit on the hard side, but we slept the whole night. Of course we were very tired as well. I didn't even hear my husband snore!

If you're concerned with kids, don't be. If I had brought my kids, ages 6 and 8, they would have loved the hotel. Remember the price and view and all you get. Chances are you'll be out mostly all day.

Please ask more if you have any other questions.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:10 AM
SRS

great report - you guys really have a lot of energy! I am impressed!

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'mm working on my next installment. Family stuff-keeping me busy.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Day 4

We split the cab in the morning and arrived at Naples airport. Took our carry-ons aboard our Alitalia flight: Naples to Rome. We had 1 hour 15 minute layover (Rome to Athens) and finally arrived Athens at 12 (this was all frequent flyer tix). I had in my notes that there was an Aegean 12:40 flight departing to Sanotrini so we tried to board the earlier flight but they said it was closed. Oh well. My original plan was back in action. We quickly checked in our bags to Santorini (flight departed at 7 pm). First time we checked bags so I was nervous but they made it. We stopped by the info desk and asked about the train/bus times into the city. We had been to Athens before so we felt very comfortable taking a quick trip in. We missed the train so we took the 1:00 bus downstairs (Bus X95). We were the last 2 to board the bus….yeah…no wait and we reached Syntagma Square at 3. We were very hungry and it was very hot.

The last time we were in Athens, we ate at this excellent vegetarian restaurant called Eden. We tried to hunt it down but when we found it, we learned it was closed down for good. Arghhh. So we headed back down near the Plaka area and decided to eat at Ypsia. We sat down in their outdoor area; they had some mist fans going and the setting was so perfect. Since we were very hungry, we over-ordered –veg spring rolls, creamy mushroom risotto, large Greek salad, and drinks. They started us with bread, olives, and dip and it was so good. After we ate, we both agreed that this was one of our best meals. The bill was about 30-35 and we got the spring rolls wrapped to go.

DH wanted to visit the Parthenon again so we walked around in the hot sun and reached the area where you buy tix. I was really tired at this point and decided not to go up. Yes, DH keeps teasing me about this. But we saw it 2 years ago with a guide and it looked like even more restoration was going on. So I sat below sipping my frozen lemonade and waited for him to get back. As I was waiting, I found a closer metro stop near the Acropolis saving us the walk back to Syntagma Square. He came back and said it was beautiful and then we walked to the metro around 4:30.

You have to connect at Syntagma, so we did and boarded the train to the airport. We arrived around 6. Since we had our boarding passes, we had about 1 hour to walk through security, stop at the ATM, call home as the kids were waking up, and eat our leftovers. Finally we boarded the plane to Santorini!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Our flight to Santorini

I had booked tickets with Aegean over 1 year ago and was able to get their 19E deals…. leather seats and very comfortable. I was worried that the planes would be small, but they were a good size. The pilot announced which islands we were flying over and after 30 minutes we arrived! I had pre-arranged for someone to pick us up so we retrieved our baggage, found our driver, and headed to Anastasis Apts in Imerovigli. I had researched quite a bit and found this to be the best spot for the rate, the view, the service, the cleanliness, and the infinity pool!

We pulled in and as soon as we entered, Despina told us we are in time for the sunset. They took our bags, paid for the taxi, and took us in. We walked in tired and then we saw the view….what can I say? DH’s face fell on the floor as he let out a big WOW. I knew what to expect as I did all the planning, but I was taken aback. All the hassles of flying and being tired suddenly disappeared and we were sitting there overlooking the caldera, in awe, and in peace. No one was around. Despina’s helpers brought us wine and grape leaves, crackers, cheese as we just witnessed the most beautiful sunset ever.

Afterwards, Despina, the owner, went over the rules and carefully helped us plan our short time there. She explained every detail and then gave us choices for dinner. Since we were tired, we ended up ordering from one of her recommended places and the food was so good. We actually ended up ordering from there another night because it was very tasty with quick delivery and reasonable prices. We called it a night and awoke to another beautiful day.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM

Enjoying your report -- Having been to the Amalfi Coast and planning a trip to Greece and Turkey next year, I am reading with interest. Love the details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -