weather in Cornwall and Devon in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate any advice about weather (and related clothing) in Cornwall and Devon in mid-June.

Yes, I can track the online weather sites to get an idea, but I find that the experience of locals and others who have traveled in the area is often valuable. In advance, thanks for your advice.

We will be doing some walking on the coastal path, but also many tours by car to see sites, stopping in Exeter and Salisbury on the way, etc.. We efficiently pack a range of clothing, but appreciate knowing how chilly it might be in the evenings by the coast, whether to lean warmer or cooler, etc. We know that any particular year can vary, but also appreciated knowing fro a previous post how much rain to expect (and happened) on a vacation one year in the Lake District one June. 'Glad we packed the boots.
Old May 18th, 2018, 05:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Would appreciate any advice about weather (and related clothing) in Cornwall and Devon in mid-June.

Yes, I can track the online weather sites to get an idea, but I find that the experience of locals and others who have traveled in the area is often valuable. In advance, thanks for your advice.<<

Online weather sites are of no use -- and unfortunately, neither are locals

The weather everywhere in England is very changeable any time of year -- there could be a heat wave one week and blustery, cold, wet weather the next week. Or one day to the next. Just plan on layers, something to wear in wet conditions, and good substantial, waterproof shoes.
Old May 18th, 2018, 11:29 PM

I have friends and relatives in Devon. Dartmoor can be foggy, North Devon lovely sunshine, maybe some showers. The following day Rain up north and windy down south.
Weather is totally unpredictable. Dress for everything. Nights can be very cool. One good bit of news is that snow is unlikely at that time of year.
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Climate is what usually happens. Weather is what actually happens. England has weather, not climate.
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Yes. I get the sense that the weather there is very changeable. As you say, layers are a good idea.
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

'Sorry I was inexact. I understand the difference in terms, but for example, the spring weather this year in my area has been much cooler than the typical climate at this time. 'Just trying to get more insights as the travel time draws near.
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:48 AM

>>'Sorry I was inexact. I understand the difference in terms, but for example, the spring weather this year in my area has been much cooler than the typical climate at this time. 'Just trying to get more insights as the travel time draws near.<<

The the replies would be the same - absolutely no way to tell more than a couple of days before you travel and then it is still iffy.
Old May 24th, 2018, 05:32 AM

We just returned from a week in Cornwall (May 10-19). Weather was forecast to be damp and cool (mid-50s), but as it turned out we had 7 days of sunshine and 60-degree weather out of the 9 days. Even the locals were surprised.
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<Online weather sites are of no use -- and unfortunately, neither are locals>>

oh, JJ, you cut me to the quick.

MadameX, as a cornish local I can tell you that we are just coming off the back of a week of glorious warm sunny weather and though it's not expected to continue there is no rain showing on the forecast for the next 2 weeks so though I would bring boots, it would be for ease of walking as much as dealing with muddy paths because unless the forecast is substantially wrong, there shouldn't be much if any.

Even when it's overcast during the day it's not been cold, but you will need a jumper or fleece if you want to sit out in the evening or do early morning hikes.

And JJ is right about one thing - snow is most unlikely.
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:26 AM

>>oh, JJ, you cut me to the quick. <<

Intended no aspersion . . .
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Intended no aspersion . . .>>

of course, JJ - i was joshing with you.
Old May 25th, 2018, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks

Many thanks for all the insights. We very much look forward to our trip.